PDA

View Full Version : strange winter

Lloyd Smale
01-13-2021, 04:52 AM
I usually have 3 feet of snow in the front yard by now and theres lucky to be 5 inches! Even the side roads up here are bare. Never saw a winter with such little snow.

Teddy (punchie)
01-13-2021, 05:35 AM
Easy winter maybe someone is being kind to us for a reason. Just checked Canada and Siberia looks to be a mild calm temperature and winter. Just checked fronts most active weather with storms are over the oceans. No storms, no snow. We in western Pa are drying out. Great for feeding cows, mud is going away. But we need rain.

Now has anyone noticed how dark the mornings are? Cloudy, dark until going on 8 some mornings. We duck hunt and normally its light out too early but not this year. In past it was always like it not shooting time yet, birds would fly 10 minutes too early.

Randy Bohannon
01-13-2021, 06:17 AM
Same for Wyoming, 55 deg. F yesterday 55 again today, last year was snow fest and below zero for days. None of the old locals are not concerned until late Feb. or early March when the heavy Pacific storms hit.

MrWolf
01-13-2021, 07:58 AM
For some reason it just seems colder to me this winter. Like to the bone cold. Could be just getting older. I did notice my dog shed way more than he ever has and his double coat seems thicker this year.

William Yanda
01-13-2021, 08:07 AM
Weather articles I have seen show a big loop in the Polar vortex. Right now it is pushing storm tracks south. They claim it will shift and bring in a deep freeze in a few weeks.

Shopdog
01-13-2021, 08:23 AM
Goes in about 3 year cycles here. For instance ice storms instead of snow. Or lots of snow for a few years then,nuthin for about the same.

For whatever reason(O.L.D.) ,have been tracking "nice spells" in Jan,and Feb over the last 10 years or so. Irrespective of which cycle or pattern we're in,there's gonna be a cpl weeks of breaking out the suntan lotion in these dead of winter months.

Mnts of Virginia.

Brassmonkey
01-13-2021, 08:50 AM
Winter ain't over yet.

smithnframe
01-13-2021, 08:53 AM
Climate change........blame Trump! LOL

CoolHandMoss
01-13-2021, 08:55 AM
I've used half the firewood this year that I had at this point last year. Unusual for sure. But not unheard of.

Tatume
01-13-2021, 08:55 AM
We have more rain than I've ever seen. LOT'S MORE! Standing water everywhere, ponds overflowing, ground has been saturated for months; I've just never seen so much rain.

Dancing Bear
01-13-2021, 09:17 AM
Here in the Rochester, NY area we've had a to date total 12.9". Reminds me of 2006/07 when I bought a new Ariens snowblower. Sat in the garage and used just once that winter and that was only because I wanted to run it.

Wayne Smith
01-13-2021, 09:23 AM
We are in zone 8a and have been having a mostly normal winter so far. Two years ago we had the early blueberries blooming in January it was so warm. Hasn't happened yet this year.

DougGuy
01-13-2021, 09:39 AM
The weathermakers have been live streaming Greta! :bigsmyl2:

pcolapaddler
01-13-2021, 10:31 AM
Seems that this year her in the south is cooler than recently previous years. It seems more like winters when I was a kid in school... Not cold by the standards of our northern friends, but chilly for us.

I don't dislike cooler temps. It makes it easier to do outside work. If the wind isn't up, a long sleeve shirt or sweatshirt is plenty for me down to about 50 if I am active. When I was working, I would often wear short sleeves most of the year. My truck was warm and it was only a few feet from truck to office and more warm. Long sleeves would be way too much once inside of I was up and moving about.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

gbrown
01-13-2021, 11:08 AM
I'm in SE TX, last year we had 1 very light freeze. This year, so far, we've had 3 1 light, 2 pretty hard. Some years we have a winter that wasn't, some years hard. Weather just seems to be fickle, don't know. We do get plenty of rain, though.

JoeJames
01-13-2021, 11:53 AM
For some reason it just seems colder to me this winter. Like to the bone cold. Could be just getting older. I did notice my dog shed way more than he ever has and his double coat seems thicker this year.Must be a Southron thing. We've had bitter cold weather for NE Arkansas. Average highs during the day 43 degrees (maybe - last weekend it struggled to get to 34 degrees) and at night low to mid 20's. We have a dual fuel furnace: propane when it gets below 40, and heat pump above that. I think the heat pump has kicked on a couple of times in the last month. Course the propane sellers are loving it! My wife keeps the temp at around 66 degrees; so I have been wearing LL Bean long handled wool undershirts, LL Bean wool guide shirts, and flannel lined jeans at home. Oh, and a heavy wool vest.

memtb
01-13-2021, 05:47 PM
60+ F here right now, but the wind has picked-up and temperature change imminent. Friends and relatives in Louisiana have had much more snow this winter than we have! memtb

Shawlerbrook
01-13-2021, 05:52 PM
We had a warm October-November, but then 30-40” of snow in one storm right before Christmas. Then it got warm and we got 2-4” of rain and goodbye snow. January so far has been dry and a little less snow than usual, but........long range forecast says February will be very cold and very snowy. Like usual, it pretty much all evens out over the long run.

Freightman
01-13-2021, 08:01 PM
We have had more snow this season than we have had in 20 years and the snowy part is not here yet. even east Texas got several inches, west Texas had record snow, so it is snowing. In Texas the snow comes then it is gone 70 degrees today.

largom
01-13-2021, 08:06 PM
We are in central Florida to visit friends. 28 Deg. Monday morning. Colder here than Boseman, MT.

monadnock#5
01-13-2021, 08:29 PM
Here in SW NH winters are a crap shoot. We generally get a Jan thaw, which is what we're in now. It's quite likely we'll be back in the deep freeze next week. Not much snow on the ground and lots of bare spots. There was one year, either 2001 or 2 that we got an honest 36" on the first Mon of March and the first Mon of April. The only people in my area who snowmobile are those who can put their sleds on a trailer and take off for the Canadian border on the weekends.

gpidaho
01-13-2021, 08:43 PM
Very mild winter so far here in S.W. Idaho. We are getting a good snow pack at the upper elevations so there will be enough water next year to float my boat and keep the farmers happy. Most are just growing new houses on their land anyway. Gp

chambers
01-13-2021, 09:50 PM
Winter has been mild with temperatures between 35 to 25 deg F, about 5" snow, actually enjoy this much better than the artic cold and snow. Great for wildlife to help winter survival.

SeabeeMan
01-13-2021, 09:57 PM
NW Wisconsin. We've been light on snow but enough to get the snowmobile trails open. We're in for nearly a foot between tomorrow morning and Saturday, but we haven't even begun to get cold yet. Nothing to speak of below zero and none of the weeklong, lows to -40 and highs below 0 stuff of the last few years.

It's been very, very humid, relatively speaking. The last week had 1/4" of hoarfrost built on every surface that never went away. Lots of fog, and even the warm days (20-25) just cut to the bone with all the humidity. I don't remember a winter quite like this.

megasupermagnum
01-13-2021, 10:56 PM
The snow has been light, but nothing unheard of. We never get a ton of snow here, and I remember plenty of years where it would snow 4", melt 2 days later, and not snow again for a week, then repeat all winter, so you effectively never had snow.

What is strange, is this has been one of the warmest winters I can remember. When I went on my ND duck hunting trip in mid October, I remember one day waking up to snow and frost, at about 10 degrees. Yet here we are in the middle of January, and it was 40 degrees today! As far as I remember, the single coldest day we had was a couple weeks ago, it got down to 3 degrees. On a normal year, we would have had a week at -10 for a high by now. Every year it gets down to -25 or -30, sometimes colder at least once. The winter is far from over, but so far it has been incredibly warm. It was one of the coldest Octobers ever, a mixed, but average November, a very hot December, and now a very hot January.

samari46
01-14-2021, 12:57 AM
Living here in southern Louisiana we've had colder weather earlier last year than we would normally have. And my dog has got his winter coat and shedding like crazy. Normally wouldn't see 30-40 degree temps until Feburary or March. Even my wife's orange tree which usually has oranges in December didn't get them ripe enough until January. Only good thing is that the grass cutting has ended for this part of the year. Frank

Lloyd Smale
01-14-2021, 05:31 AM
Winter ain't over yet.

no it sure isnt. matter of fact there calling for a storm starting tonight. doesnt sound like anything major up here though. Maybe 6 inches.

Lloyd Smale
01-14-2021, 05:34 AM
We have more rain than I've ever seen. LOT'S MORE! Standing water everywhere, ponds overflowing, ground has been saturated for months; I've just never seen so much rain.

just talk to a logger buddy of mine. he said this mild winter has about killed him. He cant get his equipment into the woods. The roads are just a muddy mess. he said even if the snow and cold come it will be a month before he can work and then its only a month or two till it starts warming up again and he has to wait till summer.

dverna
01-14-2021, 08:06 AM
Lloyd,

Same here is Northern MI. Snow is way down from normal. I have a big 74" inverted blower and have used it once this year. Here is a picture of my "snow weapon".

quilbilly
01-14-2021, 03:15 PM
The weather has been a bit strange for over a year according to my garden and trees. The seasons seem to be running six weeks late around here then catch up. This winter our normal Nov. -Dec. fall monsoonal rains arrived on New Years with no snow but 12.2 inches of rain in the last two weeks. Temperature-wise, the frosts haven't been hard (like a normal November) yet the water in the 100 acre lake a mile down the road from us is almost 2 degrees below normal (my observations go back 25 years to figure when the trout actively start feeding). We have a lot of winter to go.

Lloyd Smale
01-14-2021, 03:52 PM
Lloyd,

Same here is Northern MI. Snow is way down from normal. I have a big 74" inverted blower and have used it once this year. Here is a picture of my "snow weapon".

neighbor had one about that size with a front blower. He did 10 neighbors every time it snowed. He had a stroke and died last summer. Our family was closest to them physicaly and emotionaly. I told his wife id blow here snow and mine but i wasnt going to do the whole neighborhood. I suggested she sell the tractor, blower, buck, back hoe, tiller and few other things that everyone wanted to borrow and just buy a smaller blower with no attactments. She did and got a small diesel kobota with just a blower on it with just a cab and a heater. I just do our two yards and everyone that wants to dig a hole can go elsewhere. I was spoiled for about 10 years. I sat in a warm house and watched my driveway getting done. Now im the doer. There good people though and he was a good friend so i dont mind doing there blowing mowing and maintenance. He sure did enough for me over the years.