PDA

View Full Version : Stripper Clip Question

oldhenry
01-12-2021, 10:37 PM
Back before '08 I participated in the Springfield, Garand & Vintage Military CMP matches.

I was going through some of my "stuff" & find that I have 5 stripper clips that I used on either the Springfield or the 6.5X55 Swede. Please take a look @ the 3 photos & help me out

Photos:
#1 & #2 are of a brass or brass plated one that I think was used with the Swede. I like the end tabs that capture the rounds & prevent loosing one.

#3 is of steel with no tabs to capture the rounds (easy to load & easy to loose some).I have 4 of these: 3 of which are stamped A and one stamped H. I assume this is a Springfield one.

I may have them reversed: so, help an old man out. I have Greek '67 '06 ammo in both which adds to my confusion.

Stewbaby
01-12-2021, 10:48 PM
The last one is likely a Swedish Mauser and works fine for ‘06.

30calflash
01-13-2021, 10:23 AM
I believe the brass clips shown are for the Springfield. The Swede clips will work supposedly, I've not tired them myself.

oldhenry
01-13-2021, 12:51 PM
I believe the brass clips shown are for the Springfield. The Swede clips will work supposedly, I've not tired them myself.

I think you are correct. I vaguely remember (not easy @ my age) that the genuine Springfield items were more expensive than the Swedes & I bought one just to see what the difference might be. I recall using the Swede ones for both: easier to strip.

Thanks to you & Stewbaby for setting me straight.

Scrounge
01-13-2021, 01:08 PM
I think you are correct. I vaguely remember (not easy @ my age) that the genuine Springfield items were more expensive than the Swedes & I bought one just to see what the difference might be. I recall using the Swede ones for both: easier to strip.

Thanks to you & Stewbaby for setting me straight.

IIRC, the difference is the little metal tabs that break off the Springfield clips. Once you break them off, the rounds can be pushed out easier, which can be feature or bug depending on what you need them to do. I recently bought a box of the 6.5 Swede clips to us with my 1903. Works fine, though it is a little easier to push them out. For my purposes, I don't see it as a problem. The Swede clips are a great deal cheaper.

yovinny
01-13-2021, 01:37 PM
The top clips are 30-06 clips.. If you notice, they have 2 small stop bumps on each side.
Swede clips should also show the 2 stop bumps on each side, but without the retaining tabs on the inner spring.
Later M14, etc. 7.62 Nato clips will be identical to the 30-06 ones, but will only have a single centered stop bump on the sides, instead of 2.

zarrinvz24
01-13-2021, 01:42 PM
The silver clip with the letter A is a Swedish clip. Don't know about the others.

Adam Helmer
01-13-2021, 06:16 PM
Back before '08 I participated in the Springfield, Garand & Vintage Military CMP matches.

I was going through some of my "stuff" & find that I have 5 stripper clips that I used on either the Springfield or the 6.5X55 Swede. Please take a look @ the 3 photos & help me out

Photos:
#1 & #2 are of a brass or brass plated one that I think was used with the Swede. I like the end tabs that capture the rounds & prevent loosing one.

#3 is of steel with no tabs to capture the rounds (easy to load & easy to loose some).I have 4 of these: 3 of which are stamped A and one stamped H. I assume this is a Springfield one.

I may have them reversed: so, help an old man out. I have Greek '67 '06 ammo in both which adds to my confusion.

So what is your problem? Go to your vault and figure it out? I need to sort clips every week here on my farm.

Adam

oldhenry
01-14-2021, 12:55 PM
So what is your problem? Go to your vault and figure it out? I need to sort clips every week here on my farm.

Adam

No problem, Adam. I had a question & the other members gave me the answer in a very friendly manner.

Adam Helmer
01-14-2021, 01:23 PM
No problem, Adam. I had a question & the other members gave me the answer in a very friendly manner.

oldhenry,

I apologize if my question seemed unfriendly. I merely meant to say go try the clips in the various arms, while we still have them!

Be well.

Adam

Streetwalker
01-14-2021, 01:45 PM
oldhenry,
The Swedish Mauser and the Springfield take the same size of stripper clip and are fully interchangeable. I use both rifles for CMP Highpower matches and I prefer to use the Swedish stripper in both the Mauser and the Springfield. The Swedish version is the best quality stripper made in my opinion and holds even the long '06 cases very nicely in order to facilitate rapid reloading.