PDA

View Full Version : New Member here

kfarm
12-18-2008, 10:38 PM
Well I just registured, I been looking for months now but want to become active.

Names Carroll and I'm retired if you can call a farmer on the down hill side of wroking retired here in Arkansas, just South East of Little Rock on the Arkansas river. I hunt, fish and shoot for a hobby. Been reloading for 20 years but just started casting in the last year. I started out with lever actions then went with the black rifle crowd now I'm back with levers mostly Marlins and a few Puma 92's.
I shoot most every thing from .22 to 45-70 with 35 Rem, 6.5x55, 357 Max, 38-55 and 45-70 tops on my list.

I was just over on Ranch Dog's forum and was inquiring about sizing some .379's down to .377 to fit in a 336 that I had rebored to .375. The .379 will not chamber so I want to size down to .377. I have ordered a custom Lee sizer but it will take 8 or more weeks from them. Ranch Dog suggested that I come here and inquire about a gentleman that goes by "Buckshot" that he used to make this type of sizer, to see if he still does. My other option would be to go by a friends machine shop and bore out a standard size die to .377.

Thanks for you help on the front end and MERRY CHRISTMAS to ALL.
Carroll

Heavy lead
12-18-2008, 10:46 PM
Welcome, no cure for this stuff.

badgeredd
12-18-2008, 11:10 PM
kfarm,

I'd suggest that you send a Private Message to buckshot. An easy way to get there from here is to click on the Member List above. Then go to the "B" group and so on til you find Buckshot. Click on his name and there will be an option to PM him.

Welcome aboard and good luck.

Edd

OeldeWolf
12-18-2008, 11:13 PM
Buchshot is a senior member here. Look around the posts, or at the members list (if there is one) and you will find him.

JIMinPHX
12-18-2008, 11:15 PM
I have ordered a custom Lee sizer but it will take 8 or more weeks from them.
Carroll

They tell you that, but you might be pleasantly surprised. The guys at Lee are top notch to deal with & they often surpass their delivery promises.

Punching out a die for a Lyman type sizer is not that big of a deal for anyone that is competent with a lathe. I make mine from scratch when I have the time.

If you can find Buckshot, he certainly has a bulletproof reputation for doing top draw work 100% of the time & I think that he is tooled up with some kind of special hones that he uses to get spectacular finishes on the die IDs.

There are a few other guys here with small machine shops in their homes that may offer to help you out as well. Rather than volunteer them, I'll let them chime in by them selves.

If you can't find someone here to help you, then any local machine shop should be able to handle it. If they happen to have the right size reamer on the shelf, then it's a 2-minute job. If they have to bore it, then it takes a little longer & they may need to finish it with some abrasive cloth followed by polish. It's a little more skill/labor intensive that way, but it can be done. That's how I did most of mine.

If you just need one or two thousndths taken out of an existing die, then you might even get away with spinning a flapper wheel inside the die with an electric drill.

Welcome to the board. It's a pretty good bunch of guys here.

Drop me a PM if if you don't find somebody else to help you out in the next few days.

Regards,
Jim

uncle joe
12-18-2008, 11:16 PM
kfarm,

I'd suggest that you send a Private Message to buckshot. An easy way to get there from here is to click on the Member List above. Then go to the "B" group and so on til you find Buckshot. Click on his name and there will be an option to PM him.

Welcome aboard and good luck.

Edd

yup and if you click on POSTS column name until it sorts the posts he will be on top
:-D
ps if you have cast your first boolit yet we're sorry your hooked now, no way out
:castmine:

kfarm
12-19-2008, 01:50 AM
Yep sent him a PM, thats what I should have done first of all but didn't.
Thanks for the help and ideas.
This forum has been a lot of help just looking, now I'll be asking.
Carroll

dromia
12-19-2008, 03:15 AM
Welcome to Cast Boolits kfarm. :-D:drinks::-D

357maximum
12-19-2008, 06:01 AM
Carrol, welcome to the asylum, ain't no turning back now.[smilie=1:

I like your preferred cartridge list.:drinks: