PDA

View Full Version : Rusty Lee Pot

jonp
01-12-2021, 05:28 PM
I have 2 Lee melters, a bottom pour and a small pot. I leave them in the garage where I cast and yesterday I noticed the screws were rusty so pulled them out to throw in the tumbler and clean up and thats when I noticed the pots. Both were rusty on the outside. Should I clean and paint them or something or just leave them be.

What is everyone doing about this? Maybe I'm being OCD as they both work just fine.

Stephen Cohen
01-12-2021, 05:50 PM
I found mine were also as you say. I removed pot and gave it a good clean on the bench grinder wire wheel and replaced it. I gave the inside a good wire brush as well with a drill mounted wire wheel, I do give the inside of pot a spray of lanoline when I store pot for extended time. I thought of applying a heat resistant paint but I did not want to cause problems with heat being conducted to pot. Regards Stephen

Vegas Vince
01-13-2021, 03:34 PM
Lee;s very good about repair or replacing product. Many times at no charge. I would call Lee & ask them,

Cheeto303
01-13-2021, 09:17 PM
Go to https://leeprecision.com/. Follow the left column down to parts then bullet casting then Electric melters or furnaces then locate your model. Lee will send the first part free. You pay shipping. This includes coils, pots,thermostats and all other parts. I regularly get replacement spare parts for my Lee equipment.

gwpercle
01-13-2021, 10:42 PM
Alwys put a stop to rust ... it will eat up the metal .
Consider Rust a metal cancer ... put an end to it whenever you can .
You need to find the source of the moisture or bring the pots inside . Rust is not your friend !
I live in Louisiana we get more rain , heat and humidity than you can shake a stick at ,
Gary

Winger Ed.
01-13-2021, 11:00 PM
You may have a humidity problem going on that will let rust get ahold of other things too.

Bloodman14
01-14-2021, 02:56 AM
Phosphoric acid! Get it at Lowe's or Home Depot; it's called 'concrete and metal prep'. Eats rust, and leaves metal clean, while leaving a rust-inhibiting chemical layer. When you use the pot again, stay out of the area until the fumes dissipate.

sierra1911
01-18-2021, 07:26 PM
Will only help with exposed surfaces, but when I lived in Texas, I sprayed the inside of my Lee pots with Pam cooking oil spray after they cooled down. Stopped rust but the smell when I used them next made me hungry for french fries.

Now live in such a dry area that rust is almost unknown.

pottergreg
01-19-2021, 02:45 AM
I use a dehumidifier in my garage, really helps!

Sam Sackett
01-21-2021, 07:46 PM
Lee is very generous with replacement parts. With most parts, you can order one of EACH item and only pay shipping. I rebuilt my production pot for not much money.

Sam Sackett