PDA

View Full Version : Percussion caps

Caswell Ranch
01-12-2021, 12:21 PM
Some people have noted they can't find caps, try the following.

https://www.wholesalehunter.com/Product/Details/11144590?fs=1

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022777938?pid=574384

Wholesale hunters had 485 standard #11's three weeks ago (I think that is lots' of 1,000).

Add to the list if you know for sure a company has them.

oldracer
01-12-2021, 02:09 PM
I just ordered some from the first link, Wholesale Hunter and called them to make sure and talked to a real person.....
John

Hellgate
01-12-2021, 10:21 PM
Wholesale hunter is ripping us off with the shipping charges of about $35 to the West Coast. Their actual price and hazmat are reasonable but they are gouging on shipping. It should be 15-18 bucks tops (flat rate box).

Caswell Ranch
01-13-2021, 01:16 AM
They are above normal in both Hazmat and shipping, I placed an order with Midway (RWS Caps), Hazmat $11.99 and shipping $13.20 came to $25.19 total for 2,500 caps and other items.

Duckdog
01-13-2021, 06:43 AM
I found the Dynamit Nobel at a Fleet Farm for 4.75 / 100 after deer season. No one knew what they were. I bought approx 2.5 K. Lucky, lucky!

rigger
01-13-2021, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the Fleet Farm connection. My local store has them as well and I bought 1000. That should last me quite awhile.

Caswell Ranch
01-18-2021, 07:16 PM
6 days ago Wholesale had 191 they now have 87, Midway have zero now. I'm shocked that percussion caps are in short supply considering the percentage that black powder shooters account for in the shooting world. BP guns are selling fast along with powder unless you want 1F.

Bald Eagle
01-18-2021, 07:30 PM
No joke about the shipping. I tried to buy 1000 #10 caps a week ago. The $55 gouge/ripoff price ended up being $106.90 to get them to San Antonio, Texas. Hazmat, CC Fee, Shipping, Tax and just before you check out $19 handling fee is tacked on. Geez, I ship custom bass guitars to just about every state for $27-$35 2-3 Day Priority/Insured. 1000 #10 caps cost more than that. Typical GB.Com sellers. I have my second order of 3000 #10 CCI caps on it's way from Cabela's at $27.90/1000 shipped free to the San Antonio Bass Pro Shop. Usually take 3+ weeks to get here, but I got time. You have to check virtually every day to catch a stock of them as they are intermittent in availability. As soon as I see them, I order right then. Wait an hour and their gone! That fast. The #11 & #11 Magnum are at around $55/1000. Remington caps are impossible to find. Midway has RWS 1075 caps for $125/2500 in stock just about all the time. They work fine in my Pietta 1858 Remys. I have nipples for #10 & #11 for them as well. Beware the ripoffs on GB.Com. Good luck.
Cheers Ya'll

Caswell Ranch
01-18-2021, 07:46 PM
Midway is out of RWS 1075's

FLINTNFIRE
01-18-2021, 11:27 PM
I thought about buying some from midway , but did not I have caps I bought years ago Remington , Navy Arms , CCI and then last month I bought some RWS 1075 from a local store still had some , stopped in this month they have CCI magnum and non magnum number 11 , I got a couple tins and bought the last 3 tins of CCI musket caps extra strength 6 wing .

Hazmat and shipping are deal breakers if I can not buy enough to offset the price , and in this time of shortage Midway was limiting to one pack and nothing else to add to order , looking forward to shooting more black powder for awhile to see what happens on the smokeless side of things as far as supplies and of course the lunatic regime new ideas of control and infringement .

Caswell Ranch
01-19-2021, 01:07 PM
I think Wholesale are expensive in regard to shipping but if you look at Midway #11 magnum caps (they don't have) price of $61 per thou plus shipping and hazmat (better price on ship/haz), look at Wholesale price at $50 per thou, if you order 5,000 you save $55.00 on the caps and may offset shipping.

FLINTNFIRE
01-19-2021, 03:32 PM
If I order I like to make it worthwhile , I agree that in these times this is what it is , I did think of getting some more and perhaps should have while midway had them but as I can get some locally I did and left those for others who hopefully needed them and not someone going to gunbroker them at a large mark up .

I remember when local gun shops still had black powder and caps , now you may find caps but no black powder , to many rules and costs to make it profitable for them , not the first time I have seen a shortage on caps and powder as there is not as much demand hence not as much manufacture , stock up when you can and replenish when available .

idahoron
01-19-2021, 08:17 PM
Has anyone used a vacuum sealer to preserve a large number of caps?

SSGOldfart
01-19-2021, 08:38 PM
Easy to make your own caps:Fire:

Caswell Ranch
01-19-2021, 11:27 PM

Ammo can with the rubber seal works fine, no vacuum needed. I shot a few caps that are over 100 years old, worked like they were a week old.

godzilla
01-20-2021, 09:46 AM
I bought a case of No11 a few months ago. Seemed a bit much at the time, but maybe not.....

hoodat
01-20-2021, 10:03 AM
I always knew that if we converted over to those new-fangled caps, that we'd regret it.;) jd

Caswell Ranch
01-20-2021, 11:42 AM
This company state they have caps in stock (don't know the company), if you are in Colorado it may be an option for somebody.

https://www.bigronline.com/ccireg-percussion-caps-10-1649109.html

Eddie2002
01-20-2021, 12:47 PM
I purchased a big order from Graf's three years ago and bought an extra 1000 caps for a buddy who then backed out of the deal. Ended up with an extra 5 lbs of powder along with the extra caps. Not complaining, with that extra I'm good for a long time and to add to the stockpile was gifted 8lbs of Pryodex and 10lbs of mixed black powder.

Duckdog
01-20-2021, 09:28 PM
I have plenty, but I also have the making to make them. I see 22reloader.com has a tap o cap knockoff and the primer mix that'll make a couple of thousand of them in each bag. They won't fit in a capper, but they shoot great. just a thought.

SeaMonkey
01-21-2021, 02:00 AM
#11 Percussion Cap Maker (https://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.myshopify.com/products/11-percussion-cap-maker)

fiberoptik
01-21-2021, 02:01 AM
When all the caps are gone, rock lock is it.
I have caps for wheel guns but all rifles I have now are rock lock.

But what if Bidet outlaws rocks???[emoji851]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sleeping Dog
01-21-2021, 02:08 AM
#11 Percussion Cap Maker (https://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.myshopify.com/products/11-percussion-cap-maker)

I've used the #11 Percussion Cap Maker for my 1858 Cap and Ball. They work quite well. You have to make your own primer, but they sell an easy kit for that too. The primer and caps are a bit more messy than what you buy in the stores, but nothing that is hard to clean up. It is a corrosive primer, so you can't just leave your guns uncleaned, but it only takes some hot water and a brush to get rid of the corrosive salts.

The nice thing is that you know you can always make more so you don't have to worry about running out. You shoot as much as you want.

The worst thing about it is the tools to put on caps don't work for these types. Thus, you have to fumble them with your fingers and hope you don't drop them

Duckdog
01-21-2021, 07:36 AM
The primer is the old H48 priming mix. I was able to buy enough of the chemicals to make a lifetime of primers or caps, as well as mess with my 22 reloading endeavor. The priming kit they sell does work good, though. The percussion cap maker has a video about it in use, and is sure does look like a tap o cap.

We've been through these dry spells before, and self sufficiency is king.

FLINTNFIRE
01-21-2021, 01:27 PM
May have been the point to list in stock , but this is good to have access to as stock is very limited and prices and shipping are high .

Duckdog
01-22-2021, 10:52 PM
No offense, but if I knew where good numbers of caps were, I would not post it on here. I saw this very thing happen wit 22 LR ad it turns into a feeding frenzy with the same guys sucking them up as soon as they hit the shelves. If guys are having issues finding them, making their own is a very viable option. I see there is a thread going on it.

Woodnbow
01-26-2021, 04:02 PM
Has anyone used a vacuum sealer to preserve a large number of caps? I have. I sealed a few thousand maybe ten years ago. Haven’t dipped into them, they are for a rainy day.

hylander
01-26-2021, 10:59 PM
Well, I just picked up a few tins of #11 Remingtons today at LGS.
they have #11 Remingtons, #11 CCI and #11 CCI Mags.
They are out of #10 :(

Sleeping Dog
02-14-2021, 01:03 AM
Does anyone know how to make #10 caps?

Has anyone looked at making dies to take brass/coper to draw it to make #10 caps (rather than just folding the corners)?

nightwolf1974
02-14-2021, 11:25 AM
I'm glad I stocked up 2 years ago before all this craziness. People are getting desperate. :cry:

Duckdog
02-14-2021, 05:10 PM
I am sitting good too. There are still a few percussion caps to be had, but not many. I do enjoy making them, though. It's easy and just adds something for me. I think that it would be easy to make a die for this, but the tap o cap type of maker just works to darn good.

Nobade
02-15-2021, 08:27 AM
It was a cold windy day yesterday, so part of my indoor activities was turning a pile of Bud Light cans into caps. Now they can be loaded whenever I need some. I guess that has become part of the hobby, along with casting bullets and making paper cartridges for the muskets and Sharps rifle.

nightwolf1974
02-15-2021, 10:11 AM
To conserve on caps, I'm getting a couple of flintlocks. Something I wanted to try for a while, now there's a good excuse.

fiberoptik
02-15-2021, 01:52 PM
So what does everyone use for compound? I tried the paper caps, but they wouldn’t even light off BP, let alone the substitutes. I have been adding an empty primers worth of 3F under one, but haven’t tried it out yet.

Duckdog
02-15-2021, 08:37 PM
I use the 22 reloader Prime All. It's the H48 or H42 corrosive mix. I also bought enough chemicals to make a lifetime of caps, primers, and 22 LR reloads. The Prime All kit is like $20 and loads approx 2000 primers or caps. The chemicals to make the same mix are cheaper, and make a heck of a lot more.

The individual chemicals are Potassium Chlorate, Antinomy Sulfide, and Sulphur. H48 uses ground glass and H42 does not. Visit Aardvark Reloading to get a very good idea of what everyone is mixing up. Lots of videos out there, as well.

Darth-Vaj
02-18-2021, 04:29 PM
If one must acquire caps. Then you can make your own. Just do some web surfing or ask someone that knows. It is inherently dangerous.(like reloading, driving etc...)

BPSharps
02-20-2021, 02:41 PM
I just ordered a #11 Percussion Cap Maker...I can't find the thread on here but after you mix up the priming compound and fill the cap you add a drop of acetone...after you let that dry some folks commented that they added a drop of something to keep the priming compound from falling out. Does anyone know what you use for that?

Mr_Sheesh
02-20-2021, 03:40 PM
Lots of possible binders, not sure what people use; Past binders for primers have included dextrin, lacquer, Duco Cement, gum arabic, gum tragacanth, glue, sodium alginate, rubber cement, and karaya gum. Among others.

Darth-Vaj
02-20-2021, 05:27 PM
I just ordered a #11 Percussion Cap Maker...I can't find the thread on here but after you mix up the priming compound and fill the cap you add a drop of acetone...after you let that dry some folks commented that they added a drop of something to keep the priming compound from falling out. Does anyone know what you use for that? Try adding nail polish to the mix. The priming compound seems it doesn’t have a “binding” agent or if there is it’s rather “weak.” Try adding some nail polish into the acetone mix it well and try to see if that helps.

Caswell Ranch
02-20-2021, 07:12 PM
PayPal was not accepting payments to them a few days ago, I requested info on order ship times and have had no reply. This is Sharpshooter 22LR Reloader I was trying to contact. Last updates on FB are from 2018 and most are complaints about orders taking 7 months. Anyone ordered from them in the last few weeks ?

Darth-Vaj
02-20-2021, 07:40 PM
I have plenty, but I also have the making to make them. I see 22reloader.com has a tap o cap knockoff and the primer mix that'll make a couple of thousand of them in each bag. They won't fit in a capper, but they shoot great. just a thought.

PayPal was not accepting payments to them a few days ago, I requested info on order ship times and have had no reply. This is Sharpshooter 22LR Reloader I was trying to contact. Last updates on FB are from 2018 and most are complaints about orders taking 7 months. Anyone ordered from them in the last few weeks ? Have no experience buying from them but got the percussion cap maker from ebay. But why bother to wait for their priming compound when you can get the priming ingredients from the net and buy it elsewhere. Their prices in my opinion are a bit lucrative. Get what you need elsewhere in larger quantity for less. Their is priming formula in the internet that you can look into, all you gotta do is buy it online and have it ship to your home.

TyGuy
02-20-2021, 08:06 PM
PayPal was not accepting payments to them a few days ago, I requested info on order ship times and have had no reply. This is Sharpshooter 22LR Reloader I was trying to contact. Last updates on FB are from 2018 and most are complaints about orders taking 7 months. Anyone ordered from them in the last few weeks ?

I placed an order for their cap punch and some of their PrimeAll mix to try out a few weeks ago. I never received a confirmation email so a few days ago I sent them an email via their contact page. They got back to me pretty quickly saying they are about 4 weeks backlogged and should ship my order next week. I guess we’ll see.

BPSharps
02-20-2021, 10:46 PM
I just ordered from them last night and got an order confirmation really fast.I messaged the guy through the facebook page before I place the order and he said they are shipping and currently back ordered 4 weeks

BPSharps
02-20-2021, 10:48 PM
Thank you for your reply

BPSharps
02-20-2021, 10:49 PM
Thank you Sir!

Sleeping Dog
02-22-2021, 12:23 PM
I order about 4 months ago and it did take a while to get. He had my order. A friend ordered about 2 months ago and this week was told that his order was getting ready. I assume that Sharpshooter just got a new set of stuff in.

I don't think Sharpshooter was ready for such an influx of orders. I know my side gig for selling brass has gotten crazy with 35,000 pieces going out my door this Monday - and I'm almost out again.

Also, PayPal is getting very difficult for gun-related payments. They shutdown my primary and backup accounts for selling used brass. I ended up getting a commercial credit card processing service through FortPoint (suggested from Gun Broker). I worked with Bill Robbins (bill@fortpointpayments.com), and they are gun friendly and use Elavon as the underwriter. My fees are much lower than PayPal if you have several thousand in sales per month.

I can't help you about the dies, but if you want your own compound, then go check out the Home Made Primer book at
http://aardvarkreloading.com

I bought everything I needed at https://www.pyrochemsource.com
They have everything you need (albeit corrosive primer compound) and sell by the POUND. One order will last a crazy long time. The books says large pistol primers need 0.5 grains of compound and small need 0.3 (I haven't measured my caps), so that is 14,000 primers per pound of compound (btw - never make more than 33 grains for safely reasons).

Duckdog
02-22-2021, 08:43 PM
I can't say I ever measured the amount in a primer myself. I made a scoop out of a LR and SM primer and go by that. I use the LR scoop in a percussion cap and they always go bang with good force.

maillemaker
02-24-2021, 02:30 PM
The individual chemicals are Potassium Chlorate, Antinomy Sulfide, and Sulphur. H48 uses ground glass and H42 does not. Visit Aardvark Reloading to get a very good idea of what everyone is mixing up. Lots of videos out there, as well.

Good info, I may give this a go. The guys at 22lr reloading say they will be making a #10 maker in several weeks.

Steve

TyGuy
02-28-2021, 12:48 AM
As an update to my prior post, I received notification that my order shipped out yesterday. Looks like product is indeed moving out.

Darth-Vaj
02-28-2021, 03:20 AM
Good info, I may give this a go. The guys at 22lr reloading say they will be making a #10 maker in several weeks.

Steve Oh yeah? That sounds interesting. Keep us posted about that.

Mmacro
02-28-2021, 08:24 AM
Ammo can with the rubber seal. Throw in a handful of those little desiccant packs or some dry white rice in a muslin bag to control any moisture from condensation.

smithnframe
02-28-2021, 08:26 AM
A little out of the way LGS recently had 56 tins of #11 caps...........I bought them all!

nightwolf1974
03-01-2021, 11:36 PM
According to CCI (which I spent time on the phone with today) they will start shipping out Primers to the public, dealers, and distributors in about 3 weeks. They just got done doing a HUGE government order, and are making 9 MILLION primers a day. After they get some of the primers out, they will be doing PERCUSSION CAPS again by the end of this month. :bigsmyl2:

nightwolf1974
03-01-2021, 11:39 PM
I personally prefer RWS 1075s myself for revolvers and hunting. But, you can be darn sure that I'll stock up on CCI #10s when they come back!

Mr_Sheesh
03-02-2021, 01:20 AM
Oh good on the CCI info :)

If you want to make a larger dessicant thing, take some drywall and heat it up for some time in the oven, to drive the moisture out; I'd suggest bagging it in something (satin tablecloths are cheap, cloth of some kind anyways) to keep from getting the powder over everything too much.

I've dealt with tableclothsfactory.com and they seemed pretty reasonable but there definitely are other places!

Mmacro
03-02-2021, 07:55 AM
Rice also works really well.

Oh good on the CCI info :)

If you want to make a larger dessicant thing, take some drywall and heat it up for some time in the oven, to drive the moisture out; I'd suggest bagging it in something (satin tablecloths are cheap, cloth of some kind anyways) to keep from getting the powder over everything too much.

I've dealt with tableclothsfactory.com and they seemed pretty reasonable but there definitely are other places!

fiberoptik
03-02-2021, 10:26 AM
Crystal cat litter in a holey sock. Dessicant in bulk!

jim147
03-05-2021, 06:31 PM
Flower drying crystals are anouther choice. Put them in a pill bottle with holes in the lid for a small place or drill holes in the lid of the 1.5 pounder for a larger safe.

robertbank
03-09-2021, 06:19 PM
According to CCI (which I spent time on the phone with today) they will start shipping out Primers to the public, dealers, and distributors in about 3 weeks. They just got done doing a HUGE government order, and are making 9 MILLION primers a day. After they get some of the primers out, they will be doing PERCUSSION CAPS again by the end of this month. :bigsmyl2:

Good information, thanks. I don't think there is a #10 cap for sale in Canada right now. Hopefully my BIL in Spokane can pick some up when they become available.

Take Care

Bob

MUSTANG
03-09-2021, 07:30 PM
[QUOTE......According to CCI (which I spent time on the phone with today) they will start shipping out Primers to the public, dealers, and distributors in about 3 weeks. They just got done doing a HUGE government order, and are making 9 MILLION primers a day. After they get some of the primers out, they will be doing PERCUSSION CAPS again by the end of this month.[/QUOTE]

Getting good and accurate information is difficult. But; I am not as comforted as you are from your discussions with CCI where they told you they are manufacturing 9 Million primers a day. If they operate 7 days a week; that is only 3.285 Billion a year. Sounds like a lot; but the law of big numbers takes over. Various sources cite between 7 and 12 Billion rounds of centerfire ammunition are sold in the US Each year. If this is true; then we need another 3.5 to 8.5 billion primers manufactured by someone to just fill the "Factory ammo" needs. Next after the big players are all those small independent ammo producers; and those small companies reloading ammo commercially. Then....
We poor reloaders are as they say; sucking hind milk apparatus, with the leftover leavings after all those requirements are fulfilled.

I hoe that your information proves out - I have had to use Small Rifle Primers to reload Small Pistol for the last few months.

LeonardC
03-09-2021, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the CCI information. I hope it comes true!