PDA

View Full Version : miroku win 1873 tang sight

T-Bird
01-11-2021, 09:19 PM
I bought an 1873 Miroku short rifle in .357 right after they came out several years ago. I love it and it shoots as well as I do. Since I can't see irons anymore. I bought a Marble tang sight from Brownell's that was listed to fit it. When I placed it on the gun ( it was drilled and tapped from the factory), It was looking a little skyward, could see through the hole and see the front sight, but if I pushed the post a little forward with my thumb, it was better. I put a washer under the back screw on the tang and all was well, except it looked awful. I figured they just didn't make a tang sight that fit these guns, only made them to fit the Ubertis and they must have a slightly different angle on the tang. Is this anyone else's experience or did they send me the wrong sight? Does anyone have a tang sight that fits their Miroku 1873 w/o washers? If so, what sight?

onelight
01-12-2021, 12:36 AM
Have you tried to contact Marbles to see if they have a solution ?

Randy Bohannon
01-12-2021, 04:13 AM
Just do the MVA route and be done with it, you and your rifle will not shoot better. Order the base for the 1885 and you have several sights to choose from. I have fitted both of my Miroku 73’s with them and could not be happier with them. They are adjustable for the angle regardless of pistol grip or straight. MVA has two options for the base it makes no difference since the top tang is the same for straight or pistol grip.

T-Bird
01-12-2021, 08:26 PM
no, I haven't contacted Marble, but when I find the box the sight came in, I think that's a good idea. I "fixed" the problem with the washer, but as time progressed, I've gotten more unhappy with my solution. I was gonna call Brownell and ask if they sent me the wrong sight, but calling Marble may be a better idea. That MVA looks good Randy! May look into that if they say I have the "correct" sight.

Petander
01-12-2021, 08:34 PM
Randy,such a beautiful rifle... I think I'll figure out a way to find a Miroku 94...

T-Bird
01-12-2021, 08:40 PM
Randy, are the screws spaced on the 1885 like they are on the 1873, or does it need an additional drill and tap? I looked at their site looks like I could make it work, just hate to discard this sight I have if I can use/modify/send it back or something that keeps me from having to buy a new sight. But I will if I need to!

danmat
01-12-2021, 10:16 PM
I have the 1873 cch oct. 24in this marbles sight from Midway fit perfect Manufacturer #: 9884

country gent
01-12-2021, 11:23 PM
Sometimes the detente spring that locates the arm can be "adjusted" to better align them. they may be a flat spring and slotting the hole and refitting the front radius may get you what you need. It dosnt take a lot normally. If the washer is right you could wax the tang and screw liberally bed with black dyes epoxy then when cured rebed the rest of the base. This will give you a perfect match to the tangs radius and the correct angle. Do a thorough clean up off excess tape off the wood and the fix wont show.

Randy Bohannon
01-13-2021, 07:02 AM
T-Bird, the MVA sight base for the Winchester 1885 is the same for the Miroku 1873’s nothing to do but put two screws in no modification. The Marbles sights are not what they used to be, MVA makes a Pope style sight that would be good for a hunting rifle and still keep the barrel sights. The big upside for MVA is one base fits 90% of their sights you could mount a 4” Long Range Buffalo Soule sight to anything that a base will fit. Their stuff is not cheap you get what you pay for. No hassle with any repair/parts often with no charge not even for shipping and often over achieve making you happy.
I have asked MVA to update their web site identifying the 1885 Winchester base for the Miroku 1873’s as it not clear they have a base for the M-1873’s ,Uberti’s, Perdesoli they list but not the Miroku’s, hope his helps.
I made a conscious decision years ago trying to fit iron tang sights to lever guns was something of a pain and I would use MVA anywhere I could as I have a good many vernier and soule sights from them. The idea I could endeavor to mount one their bases I always had sight that I could use. I have two of their “gallery” vernier sights one with windage adjustment one without they are used on the 1873’s with excellent results.
I also need to note that I replaced front sights as well with MVA again being familiar with their products it only improved my ability to shoot well.

T-Bird
01-13-2021, 03:32 PM
Thanks Randy. I looked on the internet today and found sights for these guns are alot more available now than they were when the rifle came out. I ordered and received a Marble's Improved tang sight #991001 which is listed to fit the Win 1873 ( I'm pretty sure at the time was listed to fit the Miroku 1873) because I remember not being aware that there might be a difference. Anyway, on Marble's web site lists no "Improved" sights to fit the Miroku, they only list a "standard" sight #009884. I guess I do have the wrong sight. Midway as Danmat said sells the correct one. I can't find it on Brownell's. Guess I'll take this one off, order the right one, and place this one for sale in the swapping and selling. Anyone want it?:smile:

T-Bird
01-21-2021, 09:32 AM
Got my new sight yesterday, fits and functions perfectly. Sold my old sight on swappin' and sellin' in about an hour! Guess it was too cheap!:smile: