PDA

View Full Version : Variac for lead pot temperature

Trifocals
12-18-2008, 06:50 PM
About a year and a half ago. I became agitated with the extreme temperature variations caused by the thermostats on my lead pots. I purchased a used variac on eBay. I bypassed the thermostats on my lead pots, and plug the pots into the variac. The method to this madness is pot temperature is no longer controlled by the off - on action of an unreliable thermostat but instead by the manually adjustable, constant voltage produced by the variac. Simply adjust the voltage near max for a quick melt, then lower the voltage to maintain the temperature you want. This seems to work very well for me. If you try this, be sure the variac you use/obtain has a current rating sufficient to handle your lead pot. In theory, the lead pot heating element should last longer as it is being subjected to less voltage.

grumpy one
12-18-2008, 06:57 PM
I think there are much cheaper solutions than a Variac. A simmerstat or suitably rated light dimmer, for example.

Russel Nash
12-18-2008, 07:19 PM
I'm tagging this thread for later.

I'm still looking for a good temperature controller for my birdshot maker.

Which reminds me I still need to call RCBS to see if their $42 controller for the Pro Melt comes with the thermocouple.

I had never heard of a "variac" before reading this thread.

Thanks.

Echo
12-19-2008, 12:37 AM
A Variac makes sense for a heat controller on a furnace, if you can get one cheap, and if it has the current carrying capacity you need (typically 1000 watts). But, as I have said before, most 10-lb furnaces can make do with a light dimmer, for a lot less money.

Back in my Ham days (I was also MARS Director a couple of times) I built variable power supplies with surplus Variacs. They were used extensively in military equipment, and always turned up in the salvage yard. Handy...