PDA

View Full Version : Marty's Arms...feedback?

Billybob123
01-11-2021, 08:59 AM
Anyone ever buy a buckshot mold from Marty's Arms. Looking for a 0 buck mold and sent them a message a week ago about buying one and they have yet to respond...not a good start in my mind but have you ever done business with Marty's or done business recently with them?

Mr Peabody
01-11-2021, 09:55 AM
I bought one of his molds. I couldn't find fault with his service or his product. I did see a note earlier that he was going to be down for a few weeks, until after the first of the year.

ChuckJaxFL
01-12-2021, 04:10 PM
I bought one quite recently.

The purchasing experience was unremarkable, in a good way. There was a delay of a few days before I got shipment information, but nothing unreasonable.

Regarding the mold itself, I like it a lot. I prefer it to my Lee molds. I prefer it, albeit by a slim margin, to even my MP buckshot mold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blood Trail
01-13-2021, 10:25 PM
I have the #3 buck mold. Solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Muddydogs
01-16-2021, 10:04 AM
I have his .30 cal O buck mold which I've cast about 30 pounds of balls from at this point. Great mold in my opinion. I do think his handles are a little short as the heat coming of the handle mounting bolts gets quite annoying even wearing heavy gloves and it's really annoying for a guy that doesn't like to wear a glove on his mold handle hand. I fixed my handle issue by cutting a set of 8" long handles for my mold.

https://i.imgur.com/phYB8hA.jpg

jsizemore
01-16-2021, 07:53 PM
I ordered one from his ebay ad. It took about 2 months to get it with ebay intervening.

Powersgt
01-17-2021, 11:53 AM
I have his .30 cal O buck mold which I've cast about 30 pounds of balls from at this point. Great mold in my opinion. I do think his handles are a little short as the heat coming of the handle mounting bolts gets quite annoying even wearing heavy gloves and it's really annoying for a guy that doesn't like to wear a glove on his mold handle hand. I fixed my handle issue by cutting a set of 8" long handles for my mold.

https://i.imgur.com/phYB8hA.jpg

I have one ordered - #4/00. I didn’t see the note about new equipment until later but I’m okay with it as he is a small business and needs support in this BS times.

Muddy dog, can you take a closer picture of the handle mod you did?

Muddydogs
01-19-2021, 08:51 AM
I have one ordered - #4/00. I didn’t see the note about new equipment until later but I’m okay with it as he is a small business and needs support in this BS times.

Muddy dog, can you take a closer picture of the handle mod you did?

I will, thought I had one but couldn't find it.

For an explanation I started out with a 1x2 Oak board cut to 8 inch lengths. Took it to my buddies router table to cut the slots for the mold handle tabs and rounded the edges of the board. Did a little finish work on the slot with a wood chisel and hand sanded both halves. Set up of the router table was very easy using the supplied handle as a guide. The handle slot wouldn't be to hard to cut with a wood chisel if that is all a guy had.

I am wondering if grinding down the existing mold handle tabs thinner and round so they would go into a wood handle just like most other molds wouldn't be a better option. Handle wouldn't be as bulky, no mounting bolts sticking out and less handle heat.

Captain R
01-31-2021, 12:20 PM
I just received a #1 buck mold this week, Ordered it about 2.5 weeks ago, cleaned and smoked the mold yesterday. The first pour came out fine and I cast three more pounds with only 2 partial pellets, no problems. Snipping with flush cutters was easy and layers of three pellet fit fine in most 12ga plastic wads. I'm very happy with my purchase and glad to find a mold maker that will provide what I was looking for.

Nobade
01-31-2021, 10:22 PM
Are the balls round and consistent? Thinking about a #1.5 buck mould to make balls for my 32 cal muzzleloader.

glockky
02-10-2021, 02:34 PM
FWIW I’ve had an order in since Jan 14 that still hasn’t shipped. He must be covered up right now.