PDA

View Full Version : Money Orders

tinhorn97062
01-11-2021, 12:33 AM
I’ve been noticing more and more folks over in S&S wanting “USPS Money Order” only for payment. Now, I can understand wanting to stay away from PayPal, but I’m wondering why a USPS MO only. Personally, it’s a GIGANTIC hassle to go to the PO for a money order. I can go to any number of grocery or convenience stores and get a Western Union MO. I did some internet reading and was unable to find a satisfactory answer to the difference between a USPS MO and a Western Union MO.

This isn’t a “I’m just complaining” post, but rather a post out of curiosity. Can folks chime in on why they prefer a USPSMO as the only form of payment? I’m really curious!

-Charlie

megasupermagnum
01-11-2021, 12:48 AM
Well you have to go to the post office to send it, so where is the hassle?:? Or is there a way to send a money order I haven't thought of?

Dusty Bannister
01-11-2021, 12:49 AM
I like them because when I have a package ready to ship with the USPS FRB I can cash the MO and ship the package at the same time. Then I just go home and PM the tracking number and projected delivery date. No extra trips, or driving around to the bank to deposit the MO. Done deal, no bank charges if there is a problem with any of the other types of money orders. Folks I know, that is a different situation. I suppose some folks say "pay pal only". Some say to the original 48 states only. With the USPS MO the only waiting is for the PO to get the mail to me, and the box to you.

megasupermagnum
01-11-2021, 12:52 AM
The thing with money orders, is they are not even a check. They are only as valuable as the place that prints them. I wouldn't put a lot of faith in joe's gas's money order. When they go missing, and if you use enough of them, they will go missing, you have to get that money back somehow. The USPS generally offers about the best recovery, but it is still a long drawn out wait. A bank is usually even longer of a wait. I can only imagine what hoops you would have to jump through for a gas station.

I've had two money orders lost, consecutively, at the same post office, with tracking to prove where they were. Don't waste money on tracking, it doesn't do you any good.

MUSTANG
01-11-2021, 12:58 AM
Well you have to go to the post office to send it, so where is the hassle?:? Or is there a way to send a money order I haven't thought of?

Not quite.
At our house in Moapa I have to go to the post office. There is no mail delivery/pickup at homes in that area. All P.O. boxes are in the Post Office.
At our house in the Kalispell area, we have a "Mail Box" down at the main road. I can put letters and Flat Rate boxes that I have printed postage for in the house and pasted on the box; into the Mail Box and the Postperson will see the red flag up and pick these up (we bought the largest size USPS approved mail box).

Drawback at both locations is still the same - You Have to GO to the Post Office to buy the Money Order.

M-Tecs
01-11-2021, 12:59 AM
Too many fake owns out there. Even if they will cash them if they bounce later they will remove the money from your account except for the USPS.. Only place I cash USPS MO's at is the PO. If they run the number it's GTG. Plus they cannot recover funds from your account. Once they cash it it's their problem. Yes more of a hassle but it's the only truly safe method that I am aware of.

Even USPS MO's are faked. I received one for just under $800.00. The PO wouldn't take it however my bank would have taken it and I would not received notification that it was bad until after I sent the item. I notified the seller that they could request it back from the USPS IG. Last I ever heard from them.

If I don't know you can use other types of check payment but I won't send the item till it actually clears my bank.

kevin c
01-11-2021, 01:15 AM
I used to specify a USPSMO, but now I'm also taking Zelle. Once notification is received, which is as fast as the sender arranges it, I have the funds in my account and then I ship. Faster too, for the buyer, who doesn't have to wait for snail mail to get the MO to me.

Venmo is another similar instant electronic funds transfer service by PayPal.

Dusty Bannister
01-11-2021, 01:35 AM
Kevin, sort of on topic, what fees are involved with Zelle or Pay Pal? How easy is it to access the funds after the payment has been made, as is there a mandatory balance or something like that?

M-Tecs
01-11-2021, 01:37 AM
I used to specify a USPSMO, but now I'm also taking Zelle. Once notification is received, which is as fast as the sender arranges it, I have the funds in my account and then I ship. Faster too, for the buyer, who doesn't have to wait for snail mail to get the MO to me.

Venmo is another similar instant electronic funds transfer service by PayPal.

Any idea how they handle disputes? With PayPal they will side with the buyer 99.9% of the time. With PayPal they can remove funds from your account months later.

I've been burned three times on this site for small amounts and received one fake USPS MO. I buy more than I sell and total transactions are under 25 per year. A buddy had a business that did more than that on a weekly basis. Any check he would take he would not ship that item until the check cleared the bank. He mostly did MO's cashed at the PO after he lost about 6K on a fake bank cashiers check. He cashed USPS MO at the PO almost daily. He would call the PO when he had more than a could K to cash. On day I was with him when he did a little over 14K. He said the Postmaster hated him.

Winger Ed.
01-11-2021, 01:50 AM
Well you have to go to the post office to send it, so where is the hassle?:?

For me, I have to drive to 15 miles into town to get it, or cash one. I try not to do that any more than I have to.

I don't do much on S&S, but when I do- I've gotten MOs and waited until I was going to town anyway, sometimes over a week.
If it's a regular guy that doesn't come here just for S&S, I just tell 'em to mail a check when they get the item, and if its what they want.
If its someone that only posts on S&S, they don't get that deal.

The few times I've bought stuff, to avoid going to the Post Office, and since I don't do PayPal, I mail 'em a check after I ask if it's OK.
Whatever I bought, I was never desperate for it, it was from a long time member, and didn't care if they held the check to clear or not.
From looking at the dates of when I mailed the check, and when my purchase shipped-
So far, nobody has.

country gent
01-11-2021, 01:51 AM
Western unions and others you have to have the location for it to be sent to for pick up I believe. USPS can be gotten or picked up at any Post office. The one I have used at times for kids and things is a pre paid credit card e-mail the info from the card and they can use it. If Im buying from an unknown place on internet I get and used a prepaid card for it.

country gent
01-11-2021, 01:55 AM
Western unions and others you have to have the location for it to be sent to for pick up I believe. USPS can be gotten or picked up at any Post office. The one I have used at times for kids and things is a pre paid credit card e-mail the info from the card and they can use it. If Im buying from one of the auction sites or internet I use a pre paid card for it.

jimlj
01-11-2021, 01:59 AM
I had often wondered the same thing. Now I know.

JimB..
01-11-2021, 02:13 AM
What I don’t get is why we presume that the guy with the goods, the seller, is any more trustworthy than the buyer. Folks want me to send a USPSMO and then they want to wait to cash it and finally they’ll ship me my goods. This from a guy that joined last month and has 42 posts.

Winger Ed.
01-11-2021, 02:17 AM
This from a guy that joined last month and has 42 posts.

It's probably OK,
I'm all about good manners, and don't consider myself as being all paranoid,
but in your case, I'd shop from somebody else.

Call 'em like ya see 'em..........
For example:
I've got a check in the mail box that'll head out tomorrow to the far Western edges of Not Texas.
It's going to a guy that's been here awhile, doesn't post much, but what he does-
you can tell he knows exactly what he's talking about, and also sells some bulk items on S&S at fair prices.
I figure he does too much here for me to worry about getting ripped off.

I'll see if he waits on the check to clear or not--- either way, I don't care.
But somehow, I don't think believes I'd burn myself on here for a $250. bad check.

swamp
01-11-2021, 03:55 AM
When I am selling I want a USPS MO because I don't have a bank account. I can cash the mo at the post office.

swamp

metricmonkeywrench
01-11-2021, 06:56 AM
In the end it’s preference, I’ve had PP but I can’t seem to find a way to “cash out” when I need actual $$ without linking to my real bank account.

Gewehr-Guy
01-11-2021, 07:19 AM
For a lot of rural people,they have a post office within a few miles, and like to use them, to keep them open. My mail ladies are great, and I'm sure they would help me in any way they could if I ever had a delivery problem.

rancher1913
01-11-2021, 08:16 AM
for me its a 20 minute drive to town, one way. I'm not shipping so that 40 plus minutes is a lot of wasted time. I very much appreciate the sellers that take a check.

GhostHawk
01-11-2021, 08:22 AM
Given a choice between having to go to the PO or passing on something. I pass every time.

If I can get it with my debit card, paypal, without having to get dressed, start a vehicle, and wait in line at the PO. I'll choose quick and easy every time.

Now the only reason I am typing this, is so those sellers who list USPO MO ONLY know that by there choice they are removing me, and many others like me from their list of potential buyers.

Does that make me lazy, yep, probably does. But Hey I'm retired, I can be lazy if I choose.
What I'm buying does not matter, could be lead, brass, dies, or guns.

If I can stay at home and make it happen there is a good chance I'll bite.
If I have to go out in the cold I never bite. Just an FYI

sghart3578
01-11-2021, 08:26 AM

Yes,

The mailbox in front of my house.

Petrol & Powder
01-11-2021, 08:38 AM
It comes down to trust and value. A real USPS money order is as good as cash. Once the receiver cashes the money order, he has been paid.
The odds of getting scammed with a USPS money order are slim.
You can accept a check, deposit it and wait for it to clear - but that's a pain and the process is slow.
In today's world there are dozens of ways to transmit money but old tech still works too.

Shawlerbrook
01-11-2021, 08:38 AM
A USPS money order is about the easiest thing to cash besides cash itself. I usually would also accept cash, but don’t blame anyone that would not feel safe sending a large amount of cash in the mail. I guess the bottom line is if you don’t like the price or method of payment then don’t buy, but don’t criticize.

Handloader109
01-11-2021, 10:05 AM
A USPS MO is a PITA. I have to drive over 15 minutes each way to get to my closest PO. And it is old main office, and they keep very little money. I can't usually cash a MO over $50 there. I've been refused a couple of times. So it is go another 10 minutes to the next one. So 40 to 50 minutes of my time plus standing in line for 5 to 15 more. I Hate them. I'll take your check first.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Burnt Fingers
01-11-2021, 10:15 AM
For me to get a USPS money order it's a 25 minute drive...one way. Then I have to unarm myself, then go stand in line.

Total pain.

MrWolf
01-11-2021, 10:34 AM
In the end it’s preference, I’ve had PP but I can’t seem to find a way to “cash out” when I need actual $$ without linking to my real bank account.

I just got a separate local bank account that I keep a few dollars in for issues such as this. If bank info is stolen or hacked, I only keep so much in it. I can always transfer to/from that account to cover purchase if needed. I have nothing close to me either. Everything is a decent drive.

contender1
01-11-2021, 12:24 PM
To answer the Op,, I think this covers it pretty good.

"It comes down to trust and value. A real USPS money order is as good as cash. Once the receiver cashes the money order, he has been paid.
The odds of getting scammed with a USPS money order are slim.
You can accept a check, deposit it and wait for it to clear - but that's a pain and the process is slow."

In todays world, there are many different options to either pay for an item, or receive a payment.
It wasn't that many years ago,,, that it was either cash or check. Then credit cards became more acceptable. ANd in the world now,, many different forms of electronic payment is normal for some folks.

I occasionally sell stuff, and I also buy stuff.
I prefer to use a check or a USPS m/o.

I HATE the electronic types of paying for stuff. My wife,, has had her PP account hacked twice,, her credit cards,, 4 times. Talk about a hassle. So, the folks who refuse to use my accepted forms of payment to me,, yes,, you may be lazy, or whatever else excuse you may choose to not follow my preferred method of payment,, that's perfectly fine with me. I pass on items where sellers want PP or other forms of electronic payment.
It's called "Having a choice."
I, like some others here, do not mind waiting if a seller holds my check for it to clear. It allows us BOTH a bit of security in our transaction.
As for going to a PO.
Some folks hate it,,, complain about the time, the lines, the inconvenience, or other hassles associated with a trip to the PO. Yes,, in towns,, I can see a lot of those thoughts & reasons. For others,, like myself,, I'm out & about almost daily. I normally can only go 1 of 2 directions when I leave home. One direction, and I'll pass 5 rural PO's,,, where there aren't any lines or hassles in any form. if I go the other direction, I will pass 3 PO's and they too are easy & hassle free.
A lot depends upon where you live & the location of a PO.

I found this post,, after a discussion I'd had with a friend earlier this morning. We were discussing how we pay for stuff etc. I don't use my CC for much,, and when I do,, I pay it off before I get any fees. I don't keep a lot of cash in any of my bank accounts,, to prevent hackers & such getting much from me. Often,, if I buy something,, and I'm mailing a check,, I make the cash deposit the same day I mail my check.
I was raised hearing stories of the Great Depression. I heard enough about how banks failed,, & other such hardships. My Dad told stories of going hungry & being broke. After he was able to,, he always,, and I mean always kept emergency cash on his person to allow him to buy a meal,, or get gas. When he died,, he had a pair of Eisenhower silver dollars in his pocket,, worn from rubbing together in his pocket. I have one of them, and my brother has the other one.
We can't do online or mail type transactions with cash (generally) so a different form of payment is necessary.
A personal check,, that can be verified by a bank,, or a USPS m/o which can also be verified by the PO,, is about as secure as it gets for such things. PP, Zelle, & other forms of electronic payment,, can be "in limbo" or hacked. Western Union,,,, well,,, they apparently have had some issues and I've not used them in well over 30 years. And I'd NEVER buy a WU money order at a gas station or other place other than a bank.
As noted above,, too easy to have a LOT more of a hassle trying to recover funds if they get "lost."

But,, everybody has their preferences. My brother from a different mother,, is a computer forensics expert. Retired federal LEO. He uses electronic payment stuff all the time. HIS CHOICE.

Same thing for others,, it's THEIR choice as to what they accept as a payment,, or use as a payment.

farmbif
01-11-2021, 01:34 PM
us postal money orders are very difficult to impossible to counterfeit compared to the ones you get at Walmart or 7-11.
they are fully trackable and traceable if you get cheated--supposedly--if you can get postal inspector to look at your case if you get cheated.
I've always found them good as cash and take them into post office or most banks and there is no wait in cashing them.
I used to do a bunch of sales online and got a bogus Walmart money order, the bank educated me on quite a bit about money orders.

kerplode
01-11-2021, 01:39 PM
Any idea how they handle disputes? With PayPal they will side with the buyer 99.9% of the time. With PayPal they can remove funds from your account months later.

There are no "disputes" with things like Zelle, Venmo, or CashApp. If you pay with these and the seller stiffs you, it's your problem.

Burnt Fingers
01-11-2021, 02:17 PM
us postal money orders are very difficult to impossible to counterfeit compared to the ones you get at Walmart or 7-11.
they are fully trackable and traceable if you get cheated--supposedly--if you can get postal inspector to look at your case if you get cheated.
I've always found them good as cash and take them into post office or most banks and there is no wait in cashing them.
I used to do a bunch of sales online and got a bogus Walmart money order, the bank educated me on quite a bit about money orders.

Yet USPS money orders are counterfeited all the time. Usually they are washed and the amount of increased. This is a industry in some prisons.

gbrown
01-11-2021, 02:47 PM
Western unions and others you have to have the location for it to be sent to for pick up I believe. USPS can be gotten or picked up at any Post office. The one I have used at times for kids and things is a pre paid credit card e-mail the info from the card and they can use it. If Im buying from one of the auction sites or internet I use a pre paid card for it.
One scam I am aware of is when you are out of town and go to a restaurant. You go to pay your tab and the server takes your card to a station to run the card and bring the check back for your signature. Several people had their cards compromised, and the only thing they could figure is the server took photos with a cell phone. I carried pre paid cards, til found out American Express offers a card, called Serve. You can request one, set it it up, link it to your bank or debit card and reload it from anywhere with your phone. I just added $$ to mine sitting, in my recliner.

metricmonkeywrench
01-11-2021, 03:17 PM
^^ that's the rub^^ and why i don't go there, for most of the electronic payment methods want to be connected to your bank account/credit card. I just don't trust enough in the system to make the jump. If i was in a business or doing high dollar transactions that would be a different story, for now its just me and my penny anty buying and selling.

MT Gianni
01-11-2021, 03:17 PM
In 2018 they were the most counterfeited MO out there. My PO opens the day with around $20 change and occasionally by 4 PM they can cash a $200 MO but not always. I ask them if it's good but take them to the bank if it is over $100. 2 months out of the year a PO visit at my small town PO where we all know each other is 15 minutes of standing in line. I am only 6 miles away but that is still 10 minutes drive so Nov and Dec its a 3/4 hour visit to town for a MO. Retired but still think my time has value.

MT Gianni
01-11-2021, 03:19 PM
One scam I am aware of is when you are out of town and go to a restaurant. You go to pay your tab and the server takes your card to a station to run the card and bring the check back for your signature. Several people had their cards compromised, and the only thing they could figure is the server took photos with a cell phone. I carried pre paid cards, til found out American Express offers a card, called Serve. You can request one, set it it up, link it to your bank or debit card and reload it from anywhere with your phone. I just added $$ to mine sitting, in my recliner.

In Canada you never get the card out of your hand, they bring the machine to your table. They get a little upset according to my wife, when you take the card out of their hands. I see it as a much better system.

Shawlerbrook
01-11-2021, 03:27 PM
Yes, the electronic card skimmers are quite sophisticated. Read where they actually had them somehow wired into gas pumps and stole card information with every use.

tankgunner59
01-11-2021, 03:34 PM
I'm like Shawlerbrook, I prefer USPSMO for my protection as well as the buyer/seller. It is much easier to cash and there is a bonified method of filing a claim. I will accept a personal check but I will wait for it to clear. I even asked at my credit union and was told checks up to a certain amount aren't required a clearance period by the institution. But if the check is bad those funds come out of my account and recovery of those funds is entirely on me. I too am retired and don't have the funds to pay a bill for someone who ripped me off. It isn't personal towards anyone just covering my behind.

tinhorn97062
01-11-2021, 03:35 PM
Well, lots of good info here. I wasn’t aware of the issues with other types of money order. Personally, I’m a big fan of paying cash...but that also has its inherent risks. It seems that those who don’t order money orders choose so out of convenience (or lack thereof).

So this leads to another question: is there a form of payment that is more secure than the rest, or is it just a roll of the dice with everything these days?

imashooter2
01-11-2021, 03:35 PM
I cash it at the PO when I send the goods. With cash in my pocket, I can’t get hurt. Dropping any MO into the bank subjects me to the whims of the various financial institutions even months after the transaction is "complete."

M-Tecs
01-11-2021, 03:56 PM
A USPS MO is a PITA. I have to drive over 15 minutes each way to get to my closest PO. And it is old main office, and they keep very little money. I can't usually cash a MO over $50 there. I've been refused a couple of times. So it is go another 10 minutes to the next one. So 40 to 50 minutes of my time plus standing in line for 5 to 15 more. I Hate them. I'll take your check first.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

By law the PO is required to cash all money orders. It is true that them may not have the cash on hand but a simple phone call solves that issue. Any time I cash one for more than a couple of hundred I call the PO and inform them what time I will be there the following day and the amount I need cashed. $14,000.00 is the most I have cashed at one time.

Also the belief that a USPS MO is as good as cash only applies when cashed at the PO. If deposited at the bank and it's a forgery or washed MO it will still bounce and you are stuck paying the bank back. That can take several weeks before you find out that the MO is no good.

As a seller the only way that is 100% is cashing the USPS MO's at the PO or holding checks until it clears the bank. Don't know enough about the various money transfer apps to comment on how the scammers work the system. I do know PP is not seller friendly when it comes to any issues.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-11-2021, 05:11 PM
I can't add much to this thread, M-Tecs pretty much said everything I would have said.

The one thing I will add, is that my Bank won't take all money orders. Twice they refused to deposit a MO. One was from Las Vegas and the other one was from Ireland. The Ireland one was from the Royal Bank of Ireland, it looked like a plain white piece of paper with a small Hologram, an engraved stamp with dollar amount and serial number, and the words "Royal Bank of Ireland"...AND nothing else...strange looking to say the least.

owejia
01-11-2021, 05:47 PM
No trust left in our society anymore. On this forum when selling I always will asked to be paid by check or USPS money order, which ever is more convenient for the buyer. I have had to pass on a lot of things I wanted because only PayPal was accepted. Any thing can be counterfeited even greenbacks, so I guess you roll the dice and take your chances.

higgins
01-11-2021, 06:48 PM
I don't have a Paypal, Zelle, or other online account. I will take a personal check or USPS money order because I realize it's a hassle for some people to get to the PO. I much prefer a USPS MO because most banks now will not tell you when a check has cleared the account of the person who wrote it, so I have to arbitrarily decide how many days to wait to make sure its a good check. My bank tells me to wait 5-7 business days to be sure. I had one bank recently that wouldn't even tell me if the account on which the check was written was active.

If you send me a USPS money order, I will have your purchase in the mail within a couple of hours if my PO is open. Beats waiting several days for a check to clear. My local semi-rural PO never seems to have enough cash reserve on hand to case anything but a MO less than about $40, but I can wait till I go to town and cash it at my bank.

I don't know why anyone would risk sending cash unless it's a very inexpensive item. If it's stolen or the letter is eaten by a routing machine no one has proof of sending it, I have no proof of receiving it, there's no process for getting a refund, so I assume it would be an unhappy ending.

GONRA
01-11-2021, 06:48 PM
GONRA pays CASH at gas pumps, DINNERS OUT to avoid "skimming" the physical CC.
Mr. & Mrs. GONRA are NOW using CC's for groceries, etc. - seems easiest....

These days its easy to keep "computer track" of the CC and any other financial accounts.

PayPal is great for (rare for me) overseas transactions.

Internal US&A - just send a Personal Cheque and
tell 'em to wait until it clears Bank before sending goods.

Verks for us, in our particular area, situation, anyhow.... (Yer milage will vary!)

gpidaho
01-11-2021, 07:00 PM
I have to want or need something pretty bad to stand in the line at the post office to get a money order. When I see USPS money order only I generally just keep scrolling. Not worth the hassle when with just a few key strokes the payment is sent in seconds with paypal. Gp

legend 550
01-11-2021, 07:09 PM
Funny thing, I ordered some parts from a fellow in Canada he specified a money order, not a problem, WRONG. Found out a USPS money order isn't worth the paper their written on out of the US but a Walmart money order is good as gold anywhere in the world.

Shawlerbrook
01-11-2021, 07:10 PM
Lots of good information on this thread. One thing about personal checks is even if you wait for it to clear and it bounces you might not be out the price of the sale( because you still have the item) but most banks will charge you a fee( so you still loose $$).
I think the main takeaway from this is that we have many opinions pro and con about every method of payment. No problem, but we all should respect what method the seller prefers and just scroll past if it doesn’t suit us. No right or wrong here.

historicfirearms
01-11-2021, 07:25 PM
My post office usually doesn't have enough cash to post a money order over $50. Also, I can't electronically deposit a money order to my credit union like I can a check. Money order are mostly a hassle but I will do one for the right deal.

Petrol & Powder
01-11-2021, 07:31 PM
In Canada you never get the card out of your hand, they bring the machine to your table. They get a little upset according to my wife, when you take the card out of their hands. I see it as a much better system.

That has been the system in Europe for many years. It allows the card holder to maintain custody of the card. They also used the chip readers long before the U.S.A. switched over. The information stored on the magnetic strip is easily copied but the chip allows for a one time authorization for each individual transaction, which makes cloning the card much less attractive to thieves.
Because of the enormous number of point of sale card readers on gas pumps, those devices were allowed to remain in use but for the most part, all other transactions that actually require the card in the U.S., use the chip technology. It is an improvement.

Mal Paso
01-11-2021, 07:39 PM
I don't know what the PO charges but Western Union was horribly expensive to send my daughter a couple bucks. PayPal was cheap and easy and they never lost a dime. It's also great for ebay purchases. The one dispute I had they covered.

I probably wouldn't take PayPal as a seller. Too easy to get ripped by an unscrupulous buyer. There are ways to check out buyers and cancel orders but that's learning more stuff I'd rather not.

Petrol & Powder
01-11-2021, 07:47 PM
Yes, the electronic card skimmers are quite sophisticated. Read where they actually had them somehow wired into gas pumps and stole card information with every use.

It's a very popular scam. The criminal (which is sometimes the employee of the gas station) adds a "skimmer" (second card reader) to the card reader and just captures the card information. The locks used to secure the display panels on some pumps are easily defeated by picking or just obtaining the correct key (again the employee is the weak link). Sometimes the skimmer is simply placed over the existing reader.
It became such an issue in some areas the gas stations started placing tamper proof tape on the pump panels so that customers could see if the panel had been opened by an unauthorized user. (which isn't foolproof but it's another layer of security). If you must use a pump that is far from the clerk and/or video cameras - pay a little extra attention to the pump panel. Those pumps that are distant from surveillance are the most popular ones to target.

These gas pump skimmers fall into two categories: Ones the employees are in on, and ones the employees are not a part of.

The credit card provider is usually the one on the hook but if one of your primary credit cards gets compromised - it's a real PITA. It why I use a dedicated card for high risk transactions (internet sales, unknown merchants, ect.) At least the damage will be contained if there's a breach.

Petrol & Powder
01-11-2021, 07:48 PM
lots of good information on this thread. ........
I think the main takeaway from this is that we have many opinions pro and con about every method of payment. No problem, but we all should respect what method the seller prefers and just scroll past if it doesn’t suit us. No right or wrong here.

/\ well stated /\

rockrat
01-11-2021, 07:55 PM
I don't do paypal, so if its paypal only, I just keep on scrolling. I go to the PO at least every other day, so a MO isn't that big a deal unless its a small amount.
I was at the PO the other day and a fellow that seldom works the window told me he didn't have enough money to cash the MO and I needed to go to another clerk, so waited for the other fellow.
The good looking lass behind me gave the first clerk a $100 bill (remember he couldn't cash my $93 MO), so he went to the back and got more money to give change for the gal!!! She was done before I got waited on!!

MrWolf
01-11-2021, 08:10 PM
That has been the system in Europe for many years. It allows the card holder to maintain custody of the card. They also used the chip readers long before the U.S.A. switched over. The information stored on the magnetic strip is easily copied but the chip allows for a one time authorization for each individual transaction, which makes cloning the card much less attractive to thieves.
Because of the enormous number of point of sale card readers on gas pumps, those devices were allowed to remain in use but for the most part, all other transactions that actually require the card in the U.S., use the chip technology. It is an improvement.

We had solved that issue very easily by just putting photo ID required on the back of the card. No need for an expensive chip that in my opinion is worthless.

M-Tecs
01-11-2021, 08:14 PM
https://faq.usps.com/s/article/Money-Orders-The-Basics#verify_postal_money_order

How do I Verify a Postal Money Order?

USPS Money Orders have distinguishing marks you can check to make sure that the money order is valid. By holding a money order up to a light, you should see:

Ben Franklin watermarks repeated on the left side (top to bottom).
A vertical, multicolored thread that weaves in and out of the paper to the right of the Franklin watermark. In the light, the thread appears continuous with alternating horizontal dark and light bars behind it and the letters “USPS” repeating backward and forward throughout the thread.
Signs of a fraudulent money order include:

If the denomination is discolored, it may have been erased (indicating fraud).
The dollar amount should be imprinted twice.
Maximum value for domestic money orders is $1,000.
Maximum value for international money orders is $700 ($500 for El Salvador and Guyana).
Still not sure whether your money order is valid?

Verify - Call the money order verification system at 866-459-7822.
Report - If you suspect fraud, call the U.S. Postal Inspection Service® at 877-876-2455 (Follow the prompts).

Petrol & Powder
01-11-2021, 08:27 PM
We had solved that issue very easily by just putting photo ID required on the back of the card. No need for an expensive chip that in my opinion is worthless.

Unfortunately that doesn't stop someone from stealing the information stored on the card; which is really what they're after in the first place.

The chip isn't silly, it is actually a far more secure system than the magnetic strip that just holds the information and allows it to be accessed by a card reader. The chip allows for a point of sale, one time authorization for that particular transaction.
The magnetic strip can be cloned and it can be cloned quickly. The information can be stored on another card (hotel key cards are a popular format) and used until the credit card company blocks that card number.
Often the thief doesn't even use the stolen information himself or herself; they sell the stolen credit card numbers to a third party.

Writing "Photo ID required" on the signature line of your credit card may make you feel better but it does nothing to stop the thief from stealing the information on your card.
Now, in today's world that information is only good at gas pumps (which still use the old magnetic strip reader), internet and phone sales (where the card NUMBER is the key). So the damage will only run until the theft of the card number is reported. It can still be a PITA for the legitimate card holder.

kerplode
01-11-2021, 09:21 PM

I've had that written on the back of my cards for years. I can count on one hand the number of times anyone actually asked to see ID...

4rdwhln
01-12-2021, 03:16 PM
Hey there folks, I sell Champion bloodline AKC and OFA registered puppies. We only accept U.S.Postal money orders for our down payment. Unless the client is close enough to pay in cash. After reading this form yesterday I decided to cash them at the post office. I went to the largest in town and got in line. When I got to a teller I inquired about cashing them.The immediate response was don't you have a bank account. I explained to the person that they were U.S.postal money orders and as such were honored by the post office. Then they informed me I would have to go to the other line where they do the passports. The guy there said they didn't have enough money to cash them and I would have to wait. Being as I am on disability I have endless time so I took up a chair. About 30 minutes later the guy took a bunch of cash back to the tellers and told me I had to go back there as he did not have the time to take care of me. When i asked if I had to go to the back of the line again he said no just wait there for a specific teller to be open. In the mean time a gal came with a postal Money order for $950.00. They quickly sent her away. Then they cashed 2 of my orders. It appears that the plan is to never have the cash on hand to cover these..considering you have to pay cash to get them? We use them due to the hard feat it would to counterfeit them . a few years back we had difficulty with a western union order. And any kind of a check has to go thru our bank. We are just simple old fashioned folks. My wife can barely operate her Phone And we have no trust in the paypal . They have tied up our house finances when we tried them years ago. So when I go back tonight about a hour before they close. I will have my coffee with me and a fresh charge in the phone.prepared to play the waiting game again. At least the odds are in my favor that they will have enough cash on hand to conduct business.

M-Tecs
01-12-2021, 03:33 PM
No need to play their game. They are required to cash the USPS MO. Call the postmaster for that office and tell them what time and how much you are cashing. They may not have it until the following business day but they are required to fulfill cashing them. If the Postmaster gives you any guff get the name and contact information for their supervisor. After you do that they once or twice they become much more helpful.

Petrol & Powder
01-12-2021, 06:33 PM
It's not like I cash them every day but I have NEVER had a problem cashing a USPS Money Order at a post office, including some small rural post offices.
I did have a bank refuse to cash one and the excuse was the M.O, had been issued the previous day. The teller said I would need to come back after three days (I don't think she had a clue what she was talking about, but it wasn't worth a fight). I went to a post office about 2 blocks away and they cashed it immediately.

I trust a USPS money order and consider it to be as good as cash and clearly safer to mail/ship. As for the inconvenience of your local post office? I can't help you there but some are clearly better than others. I'm very fortunate to have several good post offices within 20 miles.

As I stated earlier, in today's world we have LOTS of options to transmit money. Pick the one you like, there's no shortage of options.

rockrat
01-12-2021, 06:41 PM
Think if I went into the PO to cash a large check, I would buy one for the same amount, then once I gave them the cash for mine, cash the one you got in the mail, then deposit the one you just bought in your bank!!

They couldn't claim they didn't have enough cash, since you just paid them!!!

Burnt Fingers
01-13-2021, 10:09 AM
My Post Offices don't keep a lot of cash on hand. So when they say they don't have the money they are telling you the truth.

If you have a large denomination money order it pays to call to see if they have the cash on hand.

I know the office I worked at, being the second busiest office in the city kept a fair amount of cash on hand. But other offices might only have $200.

FISH4BUGS
01-13-2021, 10:22 AM
I just went through the Money Order from Hell scenario.
1) The PO will not do one larger than $1000 so i had to get 2
2) Sent it with tracking
3) it has now been a MONTH and still not at the destination. The tracking says "in transit"
4) I did a "Money Order Inquiry" as the first step in doing something about missing money orders
5) They charged me $12.50 to do the inquiry, in addition to the fee for the money orders and the $8.00 postage
6) I have to wait up to 60 days to get my money back
The US Postal "SERVICE" is hardly that.

megasupermagnum
01-13-2021, 03:03 PM
I just went through the Money Order from Hell scenario.
1) The PO will not do one larger than $1000 so i had to get 2
2) Sent it with tracking
3) it has now been a MONTH and still not at the destination. The tracking says "in transit"
4) I did a "Money Order Inquiry" as the first step in doing something about missing money orders
5) They charged me $12.50 to do the inquiry, in addition to the fee for the money orders and the $8.00 postage
6) I have to wait up to 60 days to get my money back
The US Postal "SERVICE" is hardly that.

I've been through it, I know it is not fun. You don't wait "up to" 60 days. It is minimum 60 days (I believe the date it was printed is the start) no matter what happens. After 60 days, if you have filled out the inquiry, they will look into it after that time. I think it was about a month and a half before they sent me my money back. So from the time I bought and sent the money order, to the time I got my money back was around 100-120 days. I don't believe I paid anything for the inquiry, it was a form I filled out at the USPS, I could be wrong.

This is why I no longer ship MO's with tracking. You are throwing that money away. Ship them in a stamped envelope. That is unless you are going to pay for $1000 insurance (or whatever amount) for every single MO you send. Tracking itself gets you nothing, the USPS does not care. 60 day wait, no exceptions.

Also consider that 60 day wait is the shortest of any MO I'm aware of. My local bank was a 90 day wait.

AndyC
01-13-2021, 05:08 PM
It's a PITA when someone wants a USPS MO, but I'll get it if there's no alternative. I get that PayPal is antigun - but then so is eBay, Amazon, etc, etc.

square butte
01-13-2021, 05:14 PM
I read this morning that, as of today PayPal is now 100% Chinese owned. . . .

Jsm180
01-13-2021, 06:11 PM
I understand sellers wanting an MO but trusting the PO to deliver it is more risk than I will take right now. If I can't do some form of electronic transfer I'll pass.

SweetMk
01-13-2021, 06:58 PM
It's a PITA when someone wants a USPS MO, but I'll get it if there's no alternative. I get that PayPal is antigun - but then so is eBay, Amazon, etc, etc.

I understand sellers wanting an MO but trusting the PO to deliver it is more risk than I will take right now. If I can't do some form of electronic transfer I'll pass.

I contacted a seller on this forum,, if I read his ad correctly, no PP, CC,, personal check.
He wants a cashiers check, or postal MO.

I am pretty sure I will pass on the purchase (mold handles) ,, if a MO is required.
Not for one reason,, at least three,,
a) MO is more expensive than PP FF,,
b) I gotta GO almost ten miles to a post office,, then stand in line. EVEN if I am the only one there,, a MO takes LOTS of time.
c) Like mentioned earlier, with the mail shortcomings, it could easily take 6 weeks for the MO to get to the seller.

I enjoy using better tools, even if I only paid more, I feel like I got something better, so,
I will even pay more to support the smaller seller,, but, do not inconvenience me THAT much,,,

I wish someone would forward this thread to the mold handle seller, and any other Vendor Sellers that limit methods of payment.

Now a days, CASYBOOLITS is my first source for reloading and many other related products.
These sellers REALLY need to be extra friendly towards the captive audience then have at this forum,,,

Petrol & Powder
01-13-2021, 08:14 PM
Obtaining & cashing USPS money orders is one issue.
Sending a money order by US Mail is a completely different issue.

Finster101
01-13-2021, 08:28 PM

I usually put mail and even small flat rate boxes in my mail box at the end of my driveway. I have passed on a couple of items because they would take a money order only. Am I the only working person that has a hard time getting to the post office?

megasupermagnum
01-13-2021, 08:51 PM
I usually put mail and even small flat rate boxes in my mail box at the end of my driveway. I have passed on a couple of items because they would take a money order only. Am I the only working person that has a hard time getting to the post office?

Nope, I don't like going to the post office either. I'm fortunate that I can leave 10 minutes earlier, and it is kind of on the way to work. Of course if you work a normal 1st shift job, that is not unusually an option. I guess I never considered putting a money order in the mail box. It seems really strange to me to drive all the way to the post office, and not send it right then, right there.

ascast
01-13-2021, 09:05 PM
I hate MO's. Electronic transfer is the way to go. Win the auction, pay it off and done in a minute-no driving, no stamps, no envelopes, no forgeting to do it in 3 days on Monday. that said, USPS is everywhere far more reliable, higher limits.

dverna
01-13-2021, 10:25 PM
Interesting perspectives.

If selling, you are the one deciding your level of risk/reward. If you are buying, you decide your level of desire/convenience.

SweetMk
01-13-2021, 11:04 PM
Our local post office was built about 15 years ago.
within a couple years, ALL of the PO boxes were being used,, ALL, there were none to rent.

The post office has two modern computer equipped windows.
Back 12-15 years ago,, both windows were staffed the entire time the post office was open.

Since then the local population has grown by 3X,, TRIPLE!

Today, only 1/2 of the PO boxes are rented, (they have a blue sign on each empty box that says for rent!)

There is never more than one window staffed, even the month prior to Christmas, one window only was open.

They have maintained the same staff,, BUT,, previously, they had a janitor.
Now, the one extra staff rotates to cleaning windows, wiping down surfaces, vacuuming,,,
Talk about "Going Postal!",, make the postal clerk clean the toilets, and shovel the snow,,,, :veryconfu

lightman
01-14-2021, 12:37 PM
Most of us state excepting a USPS money order because we feel that its safer. Right or wrong, who knows? When I sell things I request a USPS money order or a personal check. I usually send the goods when the check arrives and sometimes even before. I seldom wait for it to clear. Our little Post Office will never have enough cash to cash a money order so I cash them at my bank. There is hardly ever a line at the window. I guess I need to look into getting set-up with PayPal.

farmbif
01-14-2021, 12:50 PM
there's no telling the current problems with post office. maybe it wasn't ever perfect but since dejoy took over things have really gone downhill pretty darn fast.
$12.50 inquire fee to find out about a money order, this might be something new.
I don't know how many rely on trusting postal money orders or fast efficient delivery of stuff but it seems like a no brainer to make post office work well to have it work as a great asset that in turn helps keep US economy running strong.

Bmi48219
01-14-2021, 12:56 PM
My preference when selling 1) USPS MO; 2) personal check (thing about check is it shows up in my account day after deposit but if the issuing bank declines to pay it, the money is debited back out, some times 8-10 days later); Cash (I’d never ask someone to send cash, too much risk it will vanish in transit) if the buyer wants to accept the risk.
Sometimes I use USPSMO funds to ship too, but usually my PO doesn’t have enough cash to give me the unused funds. They do check the serial number of any USPSMO I want to pay for shipping with. Apparently the can be fake too. Also I’m not comfortable with sending a personal check to a stranger since it has my routing & account #’s on it.
I’d just as soon send / receive the USPSMO.

Winger Ed.
01-19-2021, 09:37 PM
Well, how do ya like that?

About 9-10 days ago, I sent off a (rather large for me) personal check out to as far away as you can go without getting wet
and being eaten, to the Western edge of those unexplored territories we refer to as 'Not Texas'.

This morning, upon checking the mail box,
I got a box back from out there with almost more .224 , (food for the AR/rat gun), 55 grainers than I want to carry.:bigsmyl2:

gpidaho
01-19-2021, 09:57 PM
Ed: I sent a paypal payment to a member of this forum in S.W. Florida on Thursday morning and my purchase was here in S.W. Idaho on Saturday. I have no complaint with the USPS shipping it's standing in line for a money order I'm not fond of. Gp

Winger Ed.
01-20-2021, 12:31 AM
I have no complaint with the USPS shipping it's standing in line for a money order I'm not fond of. Gp

Oh,,, I won't do it. I don't appreciate driving 15 miles to cash one either.
And I don't have paypal.