PDA

View Full Version : 45 colt no lube question

autogun
01-10-2021, 11:02 PM
Lurker here. I have some 240 gr "Cowboy" bullets from Star Ammunition in Indianapolis. They have been out of business for a number of years. If I recall correctly they use to make a soft swaged 45 acp bullet which was popular with bullseye shooters. Anyway, when I opened this old box of bullets for a 45 colt, I was surprised to see no lube. No lube grove either. Just a shallow crimp grove. I have used Speer bullets with the "multi lube all over the bullet. They are very dark and clearly coated with something. The Star bullets have no coating. Anyone ever shot something like this or any 45 colt bullet w/o lube? Would keeping fps around 700 or less work?? Thanks.

Mk42gunner
01-10-2021, 11:32 PM
Bare, unlubed lead is a disaster waiting to happen, in my opinion. Are you sure they don't have some sort of thin waxy coating?

At the very least I would tumble lube with something like BLL, then not drive them very fast.

Good Luck, let us know how it turns out,

Robert

GARD72977
01-11-2021, 01:18 AM
I have seen swayed bullet that had clear lube. Can you feel anything on them

Bazoo
01-11-2021, 01:57 AM
Simple way to figure if they got lube on them. Load 6 or 12 and shoot them. If they ain't got lube they will lead fiercely.

I hear tell you can use paste wax for tumble lube barring having alox to add. I ain't never done it. But the way I tumble lube is easy enough. I put my bullets in a box and heat with a hair dryer. I microwave the lube until it's runny. Dump the bullets in a ziploc bag and some lube, couple table spoons worth and knead the bullets good. Dump out on wax paper or paper plates to dry.

autogun
01-11-2021, 01:55 PM
Okay; they do fell waxy, at least more so than a piece of raw lead. I'll load a few and see what happens. Won't be able to shoot for a week or so. i'll report back afterward.

gwpercle
01-11-2021, 08:02 PM
Tumble lube or dip lube them if the wax isn't adequate .
Check the sticky's in the lube section .
Gary

country gent
01-13-2021, 01:24 PM
Most of the star, national, and alberts swaged bullets I shot were a dry lube white in color. A very fine powder. I was told by a few thhat it was motor mica same as used for lubig case necks. Mostly 38 HBWC in my case. Even the hornady swaged had this white powder on them

autogun
01-13-2021, 07:57 PM
Loaded some with what I think is a mid-range load of promo (same burn rate as red dot), probably a little above 700 fps. No leading whatsoever. Whatever is on these bullets works pretty well. Thanks to everyone.

Bazoo
01-13-2021, 08:10 PM
Glad to hear it. Thanks for the update.