PDA

View Full Version : Velocity when shooting wheel weight?

Naphtali
12-18-2008, 02:08 PM
Shooting 480 Ruger and 475 Linebaugh (340- and 410-grain bullets), what is a practical maximum velocity -- that is, reasonably free from leading -- for plain base cast bullets made from wheel weight? The cast bullet would be quenched by immediately dropping into room temperature water.

Making the casting alloy slightly harder, does this significantly affect the practical maximum?

454PB
12-18-2008, 05:33 PM
In my experience with the .454 and smaller, 1200 to 1300 fps. if everything is right. Quenched WW boolits usually harden up to 18 to 20 BHN, so you have about all the hardness needed.

Naphtali
12-18-2008, 06:01 PM
In my experience with the .454 and smaller, 1200 to 1300 fps. if everything is right. Quenched WW boolits usually harden up to 18 to 20 BHN, so you have about all the hardness needed.Many thanks for your information. There is no reasonable likelihood of my reloading either bullet in either cartridge faster than these parameters.

About how long from casting-quenching until bullets plateau at hardness? Am I correct that once the plateau is reached, bullets will remain there for at least two years?

targetshootr
12-18-2008, 08:56 PM
If I remember right, Elmer Keith said his 11 bhn slugs were good up to 1200 fps. My straight ww slugs are about 13 bhn without quenching.

catkiller45
12-19-2008, 03:39 PM
I have got up to 2300 fps with gas checks out of my 223 before with no leading.I used lyman black powder gold lube....Shot hundreds of these bullets with not ill results in the past....

jhalcott
12-19-2008, 04:36 PM
I don't know if this is normal but I've used ACWW to hunt deer with. It was going 2100 fps or so at the muzzle and the deer did not notice they were only about 13 BHN. These were gas checked though. My 44 and 45 caliber cast bullets are loaded to about 1200 fps MAX for handgun use. Even plain based bullets don't seem to leave any lead in the bore.

35remington
12-19-2008, 04:45 PM
"I don't know if this is normal but I've used ACWW to hunt deer with. It was going 2100 fps or so at the muzzle and the deer did not notice they were only about 13 BHN."

Me, too. The bullets seem to expand and penetrate about ideally for deer at moderate ranges under 150 yards. Of course, this was in rifle calibers.

Shiloh
12-19-2008, 05:18 PM
I've run .30 cal at around 2200 with no leading. Accuracy falls off after 2000. Best accuracy so far is in the sub 1650 area.

Shiloh

runfiverun
12-19-2008, 06:57 PM
with straight ww and some tin i have hit 1600 from my 45 colt and 44 mag lever rifles with 24" bbls.
these are as accurate as i can shoot to 100 yds.
like was said before the same mix w dropped has hit 2300 with g/c's and homemade lube.
haven't shot a deer with the water dropped but the levers have both taken a deer and the 45 has taken quite a few.
i usually wait about two weeks before shooting all my boolits but the wq'd don't seem to be around long enough for them to go soft again.
heck maybe they are soft and i don't know it.

jhalcott
12-19-2008, 11:31 PM
If the bullets are just big enough to not need sizing and still fill the borePlus .001 or .002" then lubed with a hand application or a die just larger than the as cast diameter ,you should have no problems. Till you get to a recoil level that's uncomfortable. A velocity of 1300 to 1500 is MORE than enough for that caliber.

Naphtali
12-20-2008, 02:52 PM
I have a large deep freeze. I have devoted some of its space to cast bullet storage. I know this is extra work for not much benefit. It's also a way of freeing very scarce space in the rest of my home.
Which is preferred procedure:
1. Size immediately without lubing, then put in deep freeze immediately;

2. Size immediately, lube and let "cure" at room temperature for [how many??] days, then put in my deep freeze;

3. Size immediately, lube and put in my deep freeze;

4. Size immediately and let "cure" at room temperature for [how many??] days, then put in my deep freeze;

5. Do not size. Let "cure" at room temperature for [how many??] days, then put in my deep freeze;

6. Do not size, then put in my deep freeze immediately?

felix
12-20-2008, 03:17 PM
For the very best boolits possible, water drop the boolits during the casting session. Wait a month, and then size without gascheck, without lube, to the final size desired. Place the boolits in the oven and heat to 425 degrees (good enough) for a WHOLE hour, and then water drop again as quickly as possible out of the oven. Wait a month, size again with same die size, but this time with gascheck and lube. Save at room temperature for another month, shoot for accuracy, for another month, shoot for accuracy, and when boolits are REALLY ready, then, and only then, place them into the freezer. ... felix

Naphtali
12-20-2008, 03:24 PM
For the very best boolits possible, water drop the boolits during the casting session. Wait a month, and then size without gascheck, without lube, to the final size desired. Place the boolits in the oven and heat to 425 degrees (good enough) for a WHOLE hour, and then water drop again as quickly as possible out of the oven. Wait a month, size again with same die size, but this time with gascheck and lube. Save at room temperature for another month, shoot for accuracy, for another month, shoot for accuracy, and when boolits are REALLY ready, then, and only then, place them into the freezer. ... felixI appreciate this forum. Ask what time it is, and I'll learn how the watch works. Many thanks for your precise instructions.

NSP64
12-20-2008, 03:45 PM
What everyone left out is; how smooth is your barrel? A smooth barrel will shoot lead without leading. A rough barrel will lead with slow loads. Powder has some to do with it also.