PDA

View Full Version : New scope recommendations

USMC87
01-08-2021, 10:58 AM
I am looking for a new scope for my Rem 7mm mag and am looking at the german dot reticle but am not settled for sure, I am looking at Bushnell Engage and Nitro models and Vortex. Any and all recommendations are appreciated.

atr
01-08-2021, 11:15 AM
I also shoot a Rem 7mm Mag and my only suggestion is to get a scope with good eye relief. There is a serious recoil with this caliber and without good eye relief you run the risk of the scope recoiling back into your face.
atr

Lloyd Smale
01-08-2021, 02:27 PM
I steer clear of bushnells anymore. Had two bad experiences with there customer service. Out of your choices vortex all the way. Decent glass, decent mechanicals and a no bs lifetime warrantee. Smash it with a hammer and they will replace it.

charlie b
01-09-2021, 09:40 PM
I only have two Vortex scopes and they have done well for me, but, I am not shooting a magnum.

The dot reticle is a blessing or curse depending on what you are using it for. As long as your target is much 'larger' than the dot it will work well. I had a post type reticle one time and thought it was great. Then realized that care had to be taken to select a zero range that did not require hold over. Longer range target would be 'hidden' by the post if hold over was needed.

hawkenhunter50
01-09-2021, 10:05 PM
Another vote for Vortex. Have 3 scopes, 1 bino, and 1 spotting scope. No complaints about any of them. Not sure if they have a scope with the reticle you are wanting may be the only downside.

Randy Bohannon
01-10-2021, 10:22 AM
Hawke Sidewinder, Anything from Minox have been able to grab a few of these gems the past few years. I do try and stay away from the Chi Comm. stuff. www.cameraland.com has outstanding deals on any scope.

dverna
01-10-2021, 10:38 AM
My last three scopes have been Vortex. If I was on a budget, I would look at the SWAFA line as well. They have a great 10x for about $300 IIRC and, if hunting in open areas, a fixed 10x is not a bad option. I hunt from a blind in northern MI and most of the time I am at the highest setting to be able to count the points on a deer.

farmbif
01-10-2021, 10:47 AM
if I'm thinking of a new scope is limited to vortex, Leupold and USA made Burris

B R Shooter
01-10-2021, 11:01 AM
I steer clear of bushnells anymore. Had two bad experiences with there customer service. Out of your choices vortex all the way. Decent glass, decent mechanicals and a no bs lifetime warrantee. Smash it with a hammer and they will replace it.

Yep, I think they are owned by Vista Outdoors, and they also own Weaver. I sent a Weaver in for repair, and was told they have no parts. They sent me another scope, but it wasn't comparable to the one I sent in. I sold it, in the end I was out money once I replaced my old scope.

Leupold has the best service. I've heard Vortex has good service too, along with Sightron.

01-10-2021, 11:09 AM
Vortex is where I first go. As far as I know, Proof Rifles, out in Montana is using them a lot. If they like 'em, they gotta be good.

01-10-2021, 11:29 AM
I like the Leupold VX3 and newer VX3i scopes. The only difference between them is the lens coating. They seem to be a great value for the price. I have found that it is best to stay under 10x with the 1 inch tubes, or the image gets grainy and the eye relief fluctuates too much.

I have a couple 4.5-14x with 30mm tubes, side focus, and CDS option that work really well with good eye relief and image quality. The CDS feature is a range calibration on the elevation turret.

wc870
01-12-2021, 05:45 AM
Leupold all the way, customer service has been second to none. I have a Burris that has been back twice for the same problem and is still not fixed, they're communication is terrible, and slow. Just my 2c

smithnframe
01-12-2021, 06:44 AM
Check out Hawke!