PDA

View Full Version : Scratched mold

TonyR
01-07-2021, 05:35 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210107/f97664f5940dc157fbb5351326a3a8c6.jpg

I’m just getting into casting and my Lee .223 mold just got delivered today. I bought it off an individual on EBay used. When I got it, I noticed one of the molds was scratched up on one side. I didn’t think it would hurt anything and started casting.

The above picture is the results. The bullet on the left is from the unscratched mold and the one on the right is from the scratched mold. My question is, is there anyway to remedy the mold so it casts a better quality bullet? Also, will I be able to load these bullets or should they be melted back down?

PS the photos on the eBay listing did not have these scratches showing and it was bought in “used”

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evoken
01-07-2021, 06:05 PM
Someone more versed in this will chime in shortly I'm certain. However it looks to me that the boolit on the right was cast from a cavity that was way to cold.
I would remelt it if it was me.
Ken

Bashby
01-07-2021, 06:15 PM
Can you get some pictures of the scratched mold?

TonyR
01-07-2021, 06:22 PM
Can you get some pictures of the scratched mold?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210107/7f04ea93aa7ac31bdc9befbd0b22b656.jpg

TonyR
01-07-2021, 06:27 PM
Plan on powder coating, would that fill the divots enough to make the bullet useable ?

ShooterAZ
01-07-2021, 06:28 PM
Yikes, that mold has some issues. I'd get back in contact with the seller. If that is the Lee C309-150F, Midway has a few of them left as I'm typing this.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101021394?pid=720790

TonyR
01-07-2021, 06:41 PM
Yikes, that mold has some issues. I'd get back in contact with the seller. If that is the Lee C309-150F, Midway has a few of them left as I'm typing this.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101021394?pid=720790

It’s a 225-55

garandsrus
01-07-2021, 06:51 PM
Get the mold hot, using a torch and use a pencil eraser or something to clean all the splatter off the mold. It looks like a mess.

DHDeal
01-07-2021, 06:54 PM
No offense, but that thing is beat all to he// and back. It looks like an example of all the bad stuff that can be wrong with a mold. A big glob of something between the cavities, top of the mold damaged, parting lines gouged, deep scratches in the cavities, assorted deep scratches on the faces, and who knows what the sprue plate looks like.

I'd definitely contact the seller. If you're just beginning to cast then you don't need to have to fight with a bad mold along with the learning curve of all of the other stuff.

Again, I'm not trying to be rude, but you're not going to be happy with that mold.

Bashby
01-07-2021, 06:54 PM
Can’t tell if those are scratches or raised areas from lead deposits. Looks like some of each.

country gent
01-07-2021, 07:08 PM
Pick up some bamboo skewers at the store. Use 1 pointed end and drag against the scratches, this is to see if the raised material is still there. If it is round the end of a 3/16 hard wood dowel and slowly start rubbing with medium pressure along the outside edges of the scratches working slowly and carefully. Keep working in towards the scratch. Bet you can roll the metal back in to where it came from if its still there. Ive done this in die cast dies moulds that were dinged and bullet moulds that had dings and scratches. On steel moulds I use a small rounded punch and 4 oz ball peen, but aluminum will move much easier than the steel.

You dint want to remove any metal just slowly and gently move the metal back into place

Bazoo
01-07-2021, 07:11 PM
The mould is ruined in my opinion. It's possible, someone might clean it up. It appears to be scratched badly across the lube groove area. It's possible it would shoot okay with bullets from the better cavity. I agree with sending it back.

TonyR
01-07-2021, 07:26 PM
I’m going to contact the seller and try to return it but I may be stuck with it. I can probably use it as a single cavity mold.

Sucks but I guess I learned my lesson not to buy something if there aren’t detailed photos.

Thanks for the help

Bazoo
01-07-2021, 07:29 PM
Maybe, someone here could work their magic on it for you, if you're stuck with it. I will be first to offer to clean it up best I can. That said, I spect others could do better.

megasupermagnum
01-07-2021, 07:33 PM
My god, that is the worst bullet mold I have ever seen. Somebody used it to death, got a bunch of globs of stuff, likely lead on it, then tried to clean it with a wire wheel. Return it if you can.

TonyR
01-07-2021, 07:41 PM
My god, that is the worst bullet mold I have ever seen. Somebody used it to death, got a bunch of globs of stuff, likely lead on it, then tried to clean it with a wire wheel. Return it if you can.

Yeah you can tell they used a dremel or something. Hard to tell in the picture because of lighting but that one cavity is shiny like they used a wire wheel

TonyR
01-07-2021, 07:43 PM
Maybe, someone here could work their magic on it for you, if you're stuck with it. I will be first to offer to clean it up best I can. That said, I spect others could do better.

I might take you up on that. Going to try and find another mold for 223 or maybe if I can find another caliber so I have something to keep me busy. I’ll use this one as a single cavity until I can get it shipped to someone to mess around with.

toallmy
01-07-2021, 07:45 PM
Even the top of the blocks are beat up . Send it back if you can .

Rug480
01-07-2021, 07:56 PM
Man I hope they didn’t gouge you with covid/panic prices. That’s down and dirty

TonyR
01-07-2021, 07:58 PM
Man I hope they didn’t gouge you with covid/panic prices.

It was $52 shipped. Idk what a good price is as I’m just getting into the hobby.

toallmy
01-07-2021, 08:03 PM
You can start a want to buy thread here at cast boolits , the members here are a great bunch to deal with .

Evoken
01-07-2021, 08:04 PM
It was $52 shipped. Idk what a good price is as I’m just getting into the hobby.

You got bent over pretty hard on that one. New it is 22$. I know you can't find one now, but the seller surely knew it was beat.

Bazoo
01-07-2021, 08:05 PM
Normal price is bout 25 shipped, maybe 30. For a new mold. For the one you have, worth bout 5 bucks.

TonyR
01-07-2021, 08:10 PM
Ahh it hurts so good lol

megasupermagnum
01-07-2021, 08:29 PM
Don't give up just yet. Since you paid with Paypal, you do have some recourse. If you can get your money back, and can't find a Lee in stock, check out this mold. http://arsenalmolds.com/products?product_id=165

Rug480
01-07-2021, 08:35 PM
Glad you didn’t spend $150 or something really crazy for it.

Conditor22
01-07-2021, 08:50 PM
if the seller won't refund the $$ contact PayPal (if you used them) or evilbay directly. I wouldn't let him get away with it.

Looks like someone tried to clean the cavity with something pointed and metal :( then charges twice that price of a new one just because they re hard to get

BTW do you have 22 cal GC for the boolits?

Bashby
01-07-2021, 08:52 PM
It’s only $50 and you can probably use it as a single cavity, if you can’t get a refund not that big of a deal. It looks like there is a gob of lead sandwiched where the 2 halves come together keeping them from seating all the way. Cleaning that off would help a lot. What are you casting boolits for? Maybe someone can steer you in the right direction.

TonyR
01-07-2021, 08:59 PM
I was going to cast .223 ammo for an ar. No I don’t have gas checks for them yet.

TonyR
01-07-2021, 09:07 PM
Also interested in trying 300 blackout subsonic non GC and 9mm

William Yanda
01-07-2021, 09:08 PM
Ebay definition of used is cosmetic irregularities, perfectly functional or words to that effect. I do not know your seller, they may not be a boolet caster and are unaware of the effect of the scratches. Contact them first via ebay msg service. My wife made a $200 purchase, a range hood that arrived dented. The seller apologized, made a total refund and said keep it. Hopefully your seller will be as reasonable. Ebay is pretty good, from a buyers perspective, about items "not as described".

onelight
01-07-2021, 09:17 PM
Ebay definition of used is cosmetic irregularities, perfectly functional or words to that effect. I do not know your seller, they may not be a boolet caster and are unaware of the effect of the scratches. Contact them first via ebay msg service. My wife made a $200 purchase, a range hood that arrived dented. The seller apologized, made a total refund and said keep it. Hopefully your seller will be as reasonable. Ebay is pretty good, from a buyers perspective, about items "not as described".
Good advice /\ and the proper way to start. But I would not wait to long for a response , or to contact them and let them know you have a problem.

GregLaROCHE
01-07-2021, 09:41 PM
That’s certainly not the best way to get started in casting boolits. If it was given to someone with a lot of experience for free, maybe it could be improved, but you don’t want to go there. I’ve had mostly good experiences with Ebay. Did you go through PayPal or did you just send a check or money order? The couple of problems I’ve had, was when I sent checks. Luckily they were only around ten bucks. Everybody takes PayPal on EBay today. If they don’t, I would be suspect. Your best defense is that the item doesn’t conform to the photo in the announcement.

TonyR
01-07-2021, 10:57 PM
That’s certainly not the best way to get started in casting boolits. If it was given to someone with a lot of experience for free, maybe it could be improved, but you don’t want to go there. I’ve had mostly good experiences with Ebay. Did you go through PayPal or did you just send a check or money order? The couple of problems I’ve had, was when I sent checks. Luckily they were only around ten bucks. Everybody takes PayPal on EBay today. If they don’t, I would be suspect. Your best defense is that the item doesn’t conform to the photo in the announcement.

Yeah I went through PayPal. Figured I’d message the guy even though it says no returns I’ll give him the opportunity to make it right. If not I will file a claim

littlejack
01-07-2021, 11:07 PM
Looks like everything that's not supposed to be done to a mould, has been done to the mould.
Contact the seller and get a full refund. I've bought plenty of moulds off of flebay. Just make sure there are plenty of pics to look at the condition before you buy, (especially the cavities).

GregLaROCHE
01-08-2021, 03:13 AM
Yeah I went through PayPal. Figured I’d message the guy even though it says no returns I’ll give him the opportunity to make it right. If not I will file a claim

There are definitely crooks on EBay. Demand your rights. File a claim!

I once bought an obscure DVD for ten bucks by check. It didn’t play. Seller said it worked for him and to send it back. He then said he never received it. Luckily it was only ten bucks. I actually found a brand new copy for half the price. Maybe a bit of karma was on my side after all.

TonyR
01-08-2021, 03:14 AM
Seller emailed and refused to refund. Filing a claim with PayPal to see if I can get a refund.

Conditor22
01-08-2021, 03:22 AM
don't forget to give the seller the worst rating you can, they live or die on their ratings

poppy42
01-08-2021, 04:37 AM
In my opinion used Lee 2 cavity molds aren’t worth selling or buying used. I realize they are getting harder to find lately but quite a few are still available on Amazon for under $30.00 with free shipping. As for the one in question it’s trash. Hopefully you can get your money back. Otherwise you’ve got some scap aluminum. Personally I never buy used Lee 2 cavity molds that I can’t inspect in person. (Quite often the shipping is more than the mold) and I won’t pay more than $10 or $12 bucks for one.

waksupi
01-08-2021, 11:04 AM
Seller emailed and refused to refund. Filing a claim with PayPal to see if I can get a refund.

That's probably your best hope. Check the listing, see if there was any as-is statements.

Burnt Fingers
01-08-2021, 07:06 PM
You were just a few dollars less than what an Arsenal mold would have cost. $68 for a NEW two cavity aluminum mold.

You got screwed pure and simple.

If you kept his return address maybe someone could pay him a visit.

Bashby
01-08-2021, 07:29 PM
You were just a few dollars less than what an Arsenal mold would have cost. $68 for a NEW two cavity aluminum mold.

You got screwed pure and simple.

If you kept his return address maybe someone could pay him a visit.

Yeah, if that guy was local to me and overcharged someone I’ve never met for something that is in really high demand right now, that he may or may not have known was damaged, I’d drive over there and give him a piece of my mind.:veryconfu:veryconfu:veryconfu:veryconfu

Sounds like a good way to get shot.

green mountain boy
01-08-2021, 08:02 PM
if you cant get the seller to take it back and refund your money contact ebay with your gripes. they should back you .

charlie b
01-08-2021, 09:40 PM
Sorry you have to go through that. Unfortunately there are a lot of folks selling gun stuff right now for profits what would otherwise be trash. If you didn't buy it some other unsuspecting person would have.

I would give them a horrible rating, especially if they have a long list of items they are selling.

PS if you can't find an alternative then you can work on fixing this mold. I'd do as suggested above and then I'd lap the cavity to see if you can make it usable.

GregLaROCHE
01-08-2021, 09:41 PM
Actually I always wanted a useless aluminum mold. I could drill it out and make a mold for casting slugs to slug barrels with. If you don’t get satisfaction, you could always use it for that.

TyGuy
01-08-2021, 11:25 PM
If the item is not as described in the listing eBay will typically force a refund if you open a claim, regardless of if the seller listed it as “no returns”. eBay will also side with the buyer on disputes in all but the most extreme cases. As someone who has sold on eBay I can tell you that there are way too many buyer scams out there and eBay still sides with them over the seller. You, as the buyer, have all the power. This is definitely a case that deserves a claim. That said, you may be required to pay the return shipping.

William Yanda
01-10-2021, 08:43 AM
It has been my experience that a well documented "not as described" claim will be honored by ebay. The pictures you posted here certainly document that it is not as described. Keep us posted. If you do have to ship it back, a flat rate envelope at about $8 beats a $50 loss by a lot.