PDA

View Full Version : Press Shell holders.

jjamna
01-06-2021, 07:36 PM
Do all presses take the same shell holders? I ran across a couple presses today for a good price but I know nothing about them. One is a Lyman and it looks like it should be the same holders. The other I am not sure about. It is green sorta like a RCBS but the way it works up and down if different than what I am use to. It has a couple small levers that connect to the shaft a handle by a pin and the pin is missing. $20 for the Lyman and $29 for the other so you really can't go wrong.

Bazoo
01-06-2021, 07:52 PM
Some of the old Lyman took screw in proprietary shell holders.

jjamna
01-06-2021, 10:18 PM
I will look for threads on the Lyman then.

Bazoo
01-06-2021, 10:27 PM
The other press, maybe an rcbs summit press? I know there was another company that made them before rcbs took it over.

I'd buy both though at those prices.

jjamna
01-08-2021, 09:31 PM
The other press, maybe an rcbs summit press? I know there was another company that made them before rcbs took it over.

I'd buy both though at those prices.

I did today. The RCBS is a JR2. Have not ID'd the Lyman yet but it takes a regular shell holder. RCBS had a #3 shell holder and Primer tab with it so I think I did well.

Three44s
01-08-2021, 09:40 PM
You did exceptionally well!

Three44s

Kevin Rohrer
01-09-2021, 06:19 PM
Pictures help.

Bazoo
01-09-2021, 06:26 PM
You lucky dawg. Congratulations. RCBS will help get the parts needed, likely free of charge.

jjamna
01-09-2021, 11:12 PM
I have contacted RCBS electronically. If that don't work I will call them. If the picture loads here is the Lyman.275094

jjamna
01-09-2021, 11:34 PM
Here is the RCBS275095

Bazoo
01-10-2021, 12:10 AM
That's a Lyman crusher II. Been looking for a reasonable priced one a while myself. No particular reason, I just like the way they look compared to a Rockchucker.

Winger Ed.
01-10-2021, 12:11 AM
[QUOTE=jjamna;5078660]Do all presses take the same shell holders?

Pretty much.
I've had Hornady & RCBS presses, and they'd accept any other major brand shell holder I had.
The only problem I had was the hole in the old Lee shell holders was too small for the primer ram to come through
unless ya reamed it out a little.

jjamna
01-10-2021, 12:53 AM
That's a Lyman crusher II. Been looking for a reasonable priced one a while myself. No particular reason, I just like the way they look compared to a Rockchucker.

I sure like the looks of it. Have not used it yet. I hate to be a pest but I ran across a Lyman D7 Scale today. Price was $20 or $25 . It was in a glass case (I couldn't look at it ) and was in the original box so I don't know if everything was there. I really don't need a scale but I didn't NEED anymore presses either. Is that a grab it and run price or should I leave it for someone who needs one?. If I go I will take a check weight with me.

Bazoo
01-10-2021, 01:07 AM
If it's like new is a pretty good price, if it shows any wear then it's bout normal, maybe a bit below normal. I'd probably buy it if I had the extra money at the time just to have a spare scale. I only have one, an RCBS 505.

jjamna
01-10-2021, 01:45 AM
I have a RCBS 505 and a Pact scale with dispenser, so I really don't need one. I think I will take my check weight and have a look at it.

onelight
01-10-2021, 09:27 AM
I sure like the looks of it. Have not used it yet. I hate to be a pest but I ran across a Lyman D7 Scale today. Price was $20 or $25 . It was in a glass case (I couldn't look at it ) and was in the original box so I don't know if everything was there. I really don't need a scale but I didn't NEED anymore presses either. Is that a grab it and run price or should I leave it for someone who needs one?. If I go I will take a check weight with me.
I would buy that D7 for that if it was in nice shape . Mine is about 45 years old and still works great .
I have had several other beam scales and always go back to the Lyman . My trust in it may come from having used it so much it's like an old friend , and it still checks out nearly perfect in the range of powder charges it is used on.

richhodg66
01-10-2021, 10:09 AM
I think the industry has been standardized on shell holders for 50 years or so. I have two old Herters and a Lachmiller that use a different style, and a Lyman all American that uses still another. For a while, I used a Pacific I had to change rams out in between calibers.

Shawlerbrook
01-10-2021, 10:38 AM
Did great on two great presses. Goes to show deals are still around to be had.

Pressman
01-10-2021, 11:00 AM
1955 was the year shellholders began to standardize. That year RCBS introduced their new shellholder and didn't put a patent on it. It quickly became the industry standard. Really, it's just a scaled-down Lachmiller shellholder to fit the now standard Pacific ram.

jjamna
01-11-2021, 12:25 AM
I need the 2 Allen bolts on the top, in front of the die hole, that is for accessories. They seem to be the same size as the RCBS but different thread count. One out of the RCBS would not thread in it. Anyone know what size I need to buy?

Prairie Cowboy
01-11-2021, 12:46 AM
The JR2 and JR3 presses are great. I still have and use the one that I bought in 1972.
Your picture shows that yours is fitted with the automatic primer feed. If you can scrounge a couple of primer tubes, or get them from RCBS (They have a lot of old parts), along with whichever primer cup and spring for the primer arm that you are missing, you would have a complete set-up. Clean-up for your press will require a strip-down and some varsol to clean the painted parts, and a wire brush and some steel wool for the lever and the other parts..

jjamna
01-11-2021, 01:06 AM
Thanks for the info. I am trying to decide weather to purchase the small primer arm for it. I have both Large and small primer arms, plus both tubes, for my RC press. A RCBS hand primer as well. Looks like the primer arms might work on the Lyman as well. I have not tried the yet.