PDA

View Full Version : Getting wired

freakonaleash
01-06-2021, 07:05 PM
putting in fine silver and brass wire. I think I have almost 10ft of silver and 2 feet of brass in it right now. Excuse the crappy pics....

waksupi
01-07-2021, 12:11 PM
It's amazing how fast you use up the wire. I've had a couple times I would run out and wait for an order before I could finish a project.

freakonaleash
01-07-2021, 12:59 PM
I buy fine silver in 6"X6" sheets .012 thick and cut strips off with a pair of scissors. Only economical way I have found to do silver.

Edward
01-07-2021, 01:07 PM
I buy fine silver in 6"X6" sheets .012 thick and cut strips off with a pair of scissors. Only economical way I have found to do silver.

My shakey scissors (hands ) would take all the fine out of any sheet that holds still long enough/Ed

RU shooter
01-07-2021, 01:17 PM
So how or what holds the wire in the groove that you cut into the wood ?

freakonaleash
01-07-2021, 06:12 PM
I have ground a assortment of smallish screwdrivers into stabbing tools. The tighter the corner the smaller the tool. The ribbon is + or - 1/16" or so and driven into the groove after the groove has been all stabbed in. Then with a wet sponge soak the area down with water and the wood swells up around the ribbon permanently. I wire and entire area before I wet the wood down. Believe it or not but silver is easier to put in than brass. Brass work hardens while you are cutting it off the sheet. I have to anneal it before I can even put it into the wood.

RU shooter
01-07-2021, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the explanation , I find it amazing that just the swelling of the wood holds it .

waksupi
01-08-2021, 11:30 AM

It is beneficial to get two files, and strip the wire through between them, to give the wire teeth.

RU shooter
01-08-2021, 11:49 AM
It is beneficial to get two files, and strip the wire through between them, to give the wire teeth.
Thank you that makes sense . I really don't have the artistic abilities to do the wire inlay Ive been a metal worker most of my life but I'm more of a straight line artist ! Lol , but it's good to have the knowledge . If I get bored maybe I'll try it on a piece of pine or scrap wood .

Caswell Ranch
01-08-2021, 04:58 PM
This example is one of my favorites , so much going on.274999

freakonaleash
01-09-2021, 11:09 AM
This example is one of my favorites , so much going on.274999

Typically continental European. You'll not ever see wire of that quality on an American piece.

waksupi
01-10-2021, 01:54 PM
[QUOTE=RU shooter;5080332]Thank you that makes sense . I really don't have the artistic abilities to do the wire inlay Ive been a metal worker most of my life but I'm more of a straight line artist ! Lol , but it's good to have the knowledge . If I get bored maybe I'll try it on a piece of pine or scrap wood .[/QUO

Straight lines are your enemy in scroll work, regardless of if it is wire inlay or engraving. If there is a flat spot in your curve, and the design doesn't flow, start over! When I was being taught engraving, I did drawings of designs for a month before I was allowed to cut metal.