PDA

View Full Version : Happy 2021- woke up a rude surprise...

tinhorn97062
01-05-2021, 05:32 PM
...my truck was gone. Somebody stole my truck this morning at about 5:30. My neighbor picked it up on his security cams...they were in and out in less than 30secs. No broken glass, no delays, didn’t even wake the dog. They got past my door locks (easy), alarm system (more difficult), and ignition kill switch (even more difficult)...all in less than 30secs.

It was our only vehicle, and contained my garage door opener, which I cleared the codes for immediately. Also inside was my baby’s car seat, some misc personal effects, and a bunch of tools.

I think I’m more upset that somebody took my baby’s fancy chair than anything.

So I took a floating holiday today, and have been on the phone with various agencies most of the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sigep1764
01-05-2021, 05:35 PM
Bummer. Ive had 2 motorcycles stolen here in STL. Hopefully your experience will be like mine, insurance paying up to cover it all. Still doesn't help with the feeling of being invaded.

badguybuster
01-05-2021, 05:35 PM
We have an car seat our toddlers grew out of. Be happy to send it to you

tankgunner59
01-05-2021, 05:40 PM
The only thing I've had stolen in 24 years in the same home is a 1974 Johnson 20 HP outboard.
However, right now in this area someone is cutting catylitic converters off of peoples vehicles in the wee hours. Cops told one guy it's been going on for a couple months. They just slide under the car/truck/van and cut the pipe or bolts and they're gone. They tried to get the one on our churches van but something must have interupted them cause they didn't get the job done.

Conditor22
01-05-2021, 05:57 PM
that sucks, what's wierd is I had a dream about a vehicle being stolen but this was a van :(

I hate to say this but IF they were that professional I wouldn't put your hopes too high on getting it back.

Did any of the neighbors cams pick up their vehicle (probably stollen also :( )

Dekota56
01-05-2021, 06:07 PM
Tankgunner59, the same in pa someone is cutting catylitic converters. I don’t have the problem do to I Built my home in the middle of my property. But when I worked night shift it was a problem. They have been cutting them a lot in the past 5 years and it doesn’t take a lot of time to get them off. The make and model and year means a lot on the value that the junk yards will give.

richhodg66
01-05-2021, 06:24 PM
I lived in El Paso for about three years where car theft is a real problem. I knew quite a few people who had cars stolen, one similar to yours. A friend of ours had a custom ordered Silverado and was up and running to the front door at the first dog bark and by that time they were already rounding the corner a block away, called the cops and by the time they answered it had already been seen crossing the border never to be seen again. The guys who make they're live at doing this are not ameteurs. The El Paso times did a story, took a guy who was doing time for it, gave him a few basic tools and a locked late model F-150, took him less than a minute to be in it and start it and he was out of practice and didn't have the freedom to choose the tools and vehicle. Probably would have taken half the time on his own terms.

CLAYPOOL
01-05-2021, 06:47 PM
My 2 old farm trucks have the keys in them with battery maintainers on them.Helps them start them and leave quickly.. I don't want them to have any trouble. The 77 1 ton dump has to suck the gas back up from the tank..Dog 4 foot away....

reddog81
01-05-2021, 07:05 PM
Tankgunner59, the same in pa someone is cutting catylitic converters.

Someone cut the CC out of my old Chevy Astro van 2 years ago. The thief probably got $15 for doing a couple hundred in damage. Thankfully a local shop was willing to weld a pipe inline and fixed it for cheap It was the middle of winter and I didn’t notice for a while but the thief had dropped their flashlight and hat in the snow. The flashlight and hat probably cost more than he got for the CC. Freakin idiots.

MrWolf
01-05-2021, 08:24 PM
That sucks. Had a 1967 GTO stolen week before Christmas with gifts in it when I was 17. Loved that car. Punched it and front wheels came off the ground. Good luck.

HATCH
01-05-2021, 08:42 PM
A bunch of collector vehicles have been stolen in the past month.
Several nice 60s and 70s vehicles.
All restored or customized.
Its just crazy.
One was recovered.
It was a late 60s chevy. Had just been redone.
The ******** took a roller and rolled white house paint to cover the 10K yellow paint job.

cwtebay
01-05-2021, 08:49 PM
That sucks!!! I always leave keys in one vehicle outside (I'd rather a thief stay a thief and not turn into a B and E guy which could cost a life),I had one attempted car theft and my (then 15 year old) daughter held him at the end of her 1903 Colt until I came and called the cops. I honestly believe that meth head was relieved that I showed up and talked my girlie down.
I did have the talk with her that there is no THING on this planet worth someone's life, but I am still darn proud of that little girl.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

winshooter
01-05-2021, 09:04 PM
A friend of mine had his Ford F-250 stolen. He had the key pad locking system on his truck and the police said that was how they got in. A day later they told him that they had border camera pictures of his truck going into Mexico. The truck was stolen and in Mexico before he discovered it was missing. Makes me glad I have a Ram truck.

MrHarmless
01-05-2021, 09:06 PM
I had my 2012 Ford Escape broken into a few months ago. They took the plastic tray container out of the center console.

There was $5 in change in there, and a few battery plugs, etc. Nothing of value.

That plastic tray container cost $40 to replace. For some reason that bothered me the most.

john.k
01-06-2021, 02:43 AM
Thieves go for the cat converters because they are worth $200 min as scrap platinum......Up to couple of years ago ,no scrap yard here would buy a converter,agreed with the cops......Used to see converters in the trash bins at auto mechanics......then a batch of immigrants from central asia arrived here ,had networks to fence the converters ......now they blatantly advertise on face book prices they offer for converters.

JSnover
01-06-2021, 03:03 AM
Converter thefts have been happening for 10-15 years at least. When I lived in Mass they would hit the commuter parking lots after the bus left, a couple of days each month. They'd hack off five or six each time.

abunaitoo
01-06-2021, 03:13 AM
Back in the good old days, they used to hang horse thieves.
Since the car/truck has replaced the horse, shouldn't they hang car/truck thieves?????
Make good sense to me.

Greg S
01-06-2021, 04:47 AM
Had my truck stolen in September. They got the protech tool box and 105 gal transfer tank and pump and another of tools. The tweekers did so much damage it was a total loss.

Thundarstick
01-06-2021, 06:13 AM
I use to work with a girl from Georgia (USSR) that said the first thing she noticed about America was all the cars parked on the street. Said back in Georgia if you didn't have a locked garage, you didn't have a car, said you actually hired people to guard your car in the grocery store parking lot while you where shopping! I guess we're heading that way.

samari46
01-07-2021, 02:10 AM
Local police down here in Louisiana also reporting converter thefts have been on the upswing. Frank

barnabus
01-07-2021, 06:38 AM
The only thing I've had stolen in 24 years in the same home is a 1974 Johnson 20 HP outboard.
However, right now in this area someone is cutting catylitic converters off of peoples vehicles in the wee hours. Cops told one guy it's been going on for a couple months. They just slide under the car/truck/van and cut the pipe or bolts and they're gone. They tried to get the one on our churches van but something must have interupted them cause they didn't get the job done.

they got all three of our church buses

mexicanjoe
01-07-2021, 10:15 AM
3 years ago they broke into 3 of our vehicles and stole a flashlight and binoculars. Police had him in custody before we reported. Idiot broke into a police car, stole 2 guns and other stuff... Cop was a k-9 officer who tracked him to a neighbors house...... I told the neighbor if his friend was every caught on my property again, I would feed him to the hogs

canyon-ghost
01-07-2021, 10:31 AM
Sorry, there are some desperate folks out there.

wch
01-07-2021, 10:34 AM
...my truck was gone. Somebody stole my truck this morning at about 5:30. My neighbor picked it up on his security cams...they were in and out in less than 30secs. No broken glass, no delays, didn’t even wake the dog. They got past my door locks (easy), alarm system (more difficult), and ignition kill switch (even more difficult)...all in less than 30secs.

It was our only vehicle, and contained my garage door opener, which I cleared the codes for immediately. Also inside was my baby’s car seat, some misc personal effects, and a bunch of tools.

I think I’m more upset that somebody took my baby’s fancy chair than anything.

So I took a floating holiday today, and have been on the phone with various agencies most of the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be sure to put bolts in the garage door rails to deny any forced entry.

firefly1957
01-07-2021, 11:40 AM
tinhorn97062 out of curiosity what year and make was your vehicle?

tinhorn97062
01-07-2021, 12:48 PM
Be sure to put bolts in the garage door rails to deny any forced entry.

I cleared the logic board of all codes and even unplugged the remote receiver. So the door is manual only, at this point.

tinhorn97062
01-07-2021, 12:52 PM
tinhorn97062 out of curiosity what year and make was your vehicle?

2006 Ford F-350 diesel. Hearing from my insurance, neighbors, and the deputy that I filed a report with, this general type of vehicle is being stolen a lot in this area. The joke’s on them though. My truck has quite an attitude on cold mornings, and without first hand knowledge of the nuances, the thief is probably pretty frustrated trying to get it to start up on a cold morning without any functioning glow plugs.

MaryB
01-08-2021, 04:36 PM
Local scrap places won't take a catalytic converter without taking your DL# and a picture(now pulled form their security cams, you have to stand in a box while the transaction is processed). Anyone bringing in multiple converters better be a known scrapper who parts out old cars or they refuse it.

firefly1957
01-11-2021, 03:49 PM
Many times stolen vehicles are just parted out .

Idz
01-11-2021, 04:15 PM
I saw a news report in Albuquerque about vehicle break-ins. The detective interviewed stated most of the problems were gun-free zone businesses because the thieves knew they could find firearms in the vehicles. The libs quashed that story quick.

murf205
01-12-2021, 12:08 PM
Be careful if you confront these scumbags. An Iraq War veteran was up early in Hoover, Al. when he surprised 4 punks trying to steal his truck and they shot and killed him. He was on his way to get an early morning workout and caught them in the act of stealing his pickup. He left a wife and kids after fighting for our country he comes home to get killed by some useless thug! Be alert!

kaiser
01-12-2021, 07:36 PM
I'm pretty sure it was two "thieves" that were hung on the "cross" next to Jesus. In fact one admitted they deserved to be there for their crimes, while he did not. (I'm not suggesting that form of punishment, but there are society today that do in one form or another.)

I've friends whose transportation was part of their livelihoods in order for them to feed their families, who temporarily lost that ability to a thief. Excuse the crime as harmless and then tell me how you feel about having thieves target and take your possessions while you sleep (can you say, "personal violation?"). "Castle Laws" decrease these crimes; "Gun Free" zones increase them. An armed society is a polite society and a more law abiding society IMO. Even liberals are buying guns at a record rate these days! I guess they have been "wok".

45workhorse
01-12-2021, 07:51 PM
A bunch of collector vehicles have been stolen in the past month.
Several nice 60s and 70s vehicles.
All restored or customized.
Its just crazy.
One was recovered.
It was a late 60s chevy. Had just been redone.
The ******** took a roller and rolled white house paint to cover the 10K yellow paint job.

I would like to post what should happen to those caught, but I would lose all privileges to this forum. I can't stand a dang thief!

cwtebay
01-12-2021, 08:03 PM
This past weekend I had one of my wife's friends call me when she got an alert on her phone that there was movement on her security cameras (her 13 and 15yo sons were home, she was.at a wrestling meet 3 hours away). I drove there as fast as I could to see a car with no headlights on leave quickly. The police were there. The deputy told me that it's fine that I was there, but to hold any perps that showed up and to call. I was told that shooting the intruders at this point would be considered "a trap" and that I would be held liable for anything up to and including murder. What in the Hell is wrong with this scenario!!???

megasupermagnum
01-12-2021, 08:20 PM
This past weekend I had one of my wife's friends call me when she got an alert on her phone that there was movement on her security cameras (her 13 and 15yo sons were home, she was.at a wrestling meet 3 hours away). I drove there as fast as I could to see a car with no headlights on leave quickly. The police were there. The deputy told me that it's fine that I was there, but to hold any perps that showed up and to call. I was told that shooting the intruders at this point would be considered "a trap" and that I would be held liable for anything up to and including murder. What in the Hell is wrong with this scenario!!???

It's messed up, but that happened to a man in Little Falls, MN not too many years ago. He had repeatedly had his house broken into by a group of young thugs. Finally one day he moved his truck down the street, and hid in the corner until they broke in. I'm not sure if he shot one or all of them at the time. There is more to the story than that, but I'm not about to guess at details without looking it up. I do remember he had moved a body at some point. Between hiding his truck, and moving a body, he was convicted of some degree of Murder. I think premeditated is likely the key word in that scenario.

Now I don't know if whoever broke in was armed, or if they ever threatened to hurt the man. Personally I feel anybody who breaks into a house armed or not, baited or not, has chosen his path.

OK, found the story I mentioned above. It is a little more messed up than I remember. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byron_David_Smith_killings#:~:text=Location%20of%2 0Little%20Falls%20within%20the%20state%20of%20Minn esota.&text=The%20Byron%20David%20Smith%20killings,Minnes ota%2C%20in%20the%20United%20States.

MT Gianni
01-13-2021, 03:02 PM
Yep you cannot appoint yourself judge jury and executioner, especially if no lives are at risk.