PDA

View Full Version : Gambles /Hiawatha shot shells

excello
01-05-2021, 03:05 PM
Got this almost full box of Hiawatha shells from my late Father in Law. If you are old like me, you may remember Gambles stores.
I have a late 1940's Doodlebug motor scooter that was sold by Gambles. It has that same Hiawatha logo tag on the frame.

excello

beezapilot
01-05-2021, 03:38 PM
Man.. I'd love to see that scooter!!!

CastingFool
01-05-2021, 04:33 PM
I remember those shells! I had a part time job at the local Gamble's store. Had a 25% employee discount on firearms, but wasn't able to take advantage of it. I could have bought Winchester 94s for $75 plus tax, but I simply didn't make enough money

excello
01-05-2021, 04:38 PM
Man.. I'd love to see that scooter!!!

My Doodlebug is an incomplete "bubba-ized" work in progress. The "bubba" work was done by my Dad in the 1950's and is actually a fairly interesting story unto itself ... involving a surplus hydrostatic gun turret drive from a WWII bomber !!

Here's a couple pics from some advertising literature.

I have many pics of my actual scooter but I don't know how far off topic we are allowed to go on this forum ??

You can also find info about Doodlebugs on the internet. Built for 3 years, here in Webster City, Iowa, right after WWII. Sold by Gambles (Hiawatha ) and Western Auto ( Western Flyer ).

I go to the yearly Doodlebug Reunion in Webster City .... only about 75 miles from my place.

Thanks for your interest !

excello

Pressman
01-06-2021, 12:16 AM
THanks excello, I never knew that. I am a displaced Iowan from Iowa Falls and Ankeny. It's nice to learn something from "back home".

Ken

Buzz Krumhunger
01-06-2021, 01:01 AM
The first hardware store I ever patronized, as an 8 year old kid, was a Gambles Hardware off Orchard Rd in Littleton, Co. I used to spend my meager allowance there on Daisy BBs in the yellow and black cardboard tube.

And drool at the “real guns” they had there on display.

Ya know, if you had a backstop of soft dirt, you could clean those BBs off and use them again. ;)

barkerwc4362
01-09-2021, 12:26 PM
My Dad's cousin had ran a Gambles in Manchester, Iowa. My Mom bought a Marx train set from her store for me one Christmas. My parent's farm was just East of Marion. My Mom was born near Springville and my Dad was born near Coggon.

Bill

beagle
01-11-2021, 03:29 PM
I'd be willing to bet they're subcontracted Federals from the case and markings. Still neat that they survived. Like old things like that and my heart still yearns for a loading of Peters High Velocity loads in the "big blue" case. Still have a case of Peters Blue Magic target hulls and they load as good as ever./beagle