PDA

View Full Version : Haz Mat shipping increases

Black Powder Bill
01-04-2021, 06:30 PM
This is from Zanders a wholesale distributor Enote in my mail today:

Just a couple of things to go over…

• The warehouse is currently pulling/packing orders from 12/23. We will have pulled orders through the 27th by the end of the day. Truck line is working on orders from the 20th- 23rd. We have plans to get caught up this week from the holiday days off.

• We are consistently seeing longer than expected in transit times for incoming payments in the US mail. What used to take 3-5 business days is now pretty consistently 6-8 days. We are saw an influx with the 12/10 dues of customers consistently saying they mailed checks from the 4th to the 7th ,but after processing all mail through 12/14 were not received. We would like to encourage payment portal use, and we are here to assist you in getting set up. If you do not wish to get that set up and still would like to write a check, there are two options:
o If you also would like to continue to mail payments, I would like to encourage you to mail their payment a few days earlier. This will ensure orders flow smoothly and don’t get hung up on hold for a past due through no fault of ours or your own.
o You can write out a check and fax or e-mail it to the accounting department forgoing the USPS altogether. If you need more information, please let me know.

• New pricing for COD and Hazardous Material charges are listed below.
o Effective December 27th, 2020, the COD fee will increase from $15.50 to $16.50 and the Hazardous Material charge will increase from $37.00 to $39.00 for UPS.
o Effective January 4th, 2021, the COD fee will increase from $15.50 to $16.50 and the Hazardous Material charge will increase from $37.00 to $39.00 for Fedex.
o Effective January 4th, No changes in Hazardous Material charge (will remain $16.50). The COD fee will increase from $15.50 to $16.50 for Speedee.

Thank you,

Spoke with the post office today while shipping out goodies-the post master was in Duluth GA Friday and reported there were 100+ trailer loads of political mail. Back-up on parcels is due in part that political mail gets run first over our items.
This is the first time since Nov 2020 that office has been cleared and figure to be caught up by this Friday!

BPB

Bazoo
01-04-2021, 06:43 PM
I don't think it's mandatory that a seller charges a hazmat fee. I think it's more of since they have to do a bit of extra paper work they charge in order to gouge every dollar they can. Midsouth only charges something like 15 dollars. Companies set their own price. It's basically usery in my estimation. Oftentimes midway offers free hazmat on orders over "x" amount.

Black Powder Bill
01-04-2021, 06:48 PM
Bazoo I figure it might have to do with special bulk shipping also.

My one distributor offers free shipping on orders over 150$.
Powder 8 pounds all shipping and fees are in the price.

I try to order over 50 pounds prefer 100 pound pricing. Never did hit the 500 pound lotto from them.

One of the few things I miss about new yorkisstan is my one distributor was 12 miles from me.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

davidheart
01-04-2021, 06:55 PM
*snip*
Spoke with the post office today while shipping out goodies-the post master was in Duluth GA Friday and reported there were 100+ trailer loads of political mail. Back-up on parcels is due in part that political mail gets run first over our items........

I live in Georgia. With all the political fliers I receive every single day (5+ per delivery) I believe it... and honestly, it should be first come first serve! I have checks I've been waiting for in the mail from clients and packages purchased sent to me 2-3 weeks ago and I still haven't been paid or received the parts to repair my van! [smilie=b:

I'll be happy once all the political campaigns are over regardless of who gets elected at this point!

Bazoo
01-04-2021, 07:13 PM
From what I understand, shippers like ups are prohibited from carrying more than a certain weight of hazmat per truck. I can't remember if it's 50 or 100 pounds. That is a logistics issue and probably accounts for some of the headache in being a seller of hazmat.

slownsteady22
01-04-2021, 07:39 PM
I just purchased some powder from grafs Saturday, haz mat was still 15 bucks.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

jdfoxinc
01-04-2021, 07:44 PM
The shippers, UPS, FEDEX, etc charge hazmat to the people shipping. Started by the now defunct NAFTA.

wildphilhickup
01-04-2021, 08:51 PM
HAZMAT fees are a SCAM.
“Hazmat fees” are a charge that customers pay to help a hazmat-related company cover costs related to their compliance with hazmat safety standards. "The practice is about sharing information with customers about what exactly the company will do with that extra money." WHICH THEY DO NOT!

Only ONE Supervisor / Manager is required to have the specific training. The employees can work to the standard under the direction of the Supervisor / Manager. ***Just like a Pest Control company, only One person is required to have the training / certifications to operate the business and for allowance of employees to work under that "certification".

*** Driver HAZMAT Certification class is $129
*** HAZMAT Ground Shipper Certification is $695

Example: FEDEX "GROUND" 160,000+ employees in 2020. Revenue 2020 ~$23 Billion. 3.3+ billion packages shipped. 75,000 vehicles.
Assuming ONLY 1% of ships are HAZMAT = $495 Million @ $15 HAZMAT fee. Yikes! Assuming ALL 160,000 employees get Driver training = $21 million. What do they do with the EXTRA $474 Million?