PDA

View Full Version : 45 win mag?

John McCorkle
01-03-2021, 02:11 PM
Maybe I'm displaying my youth (not that young but still)

I found this piece of brass randomly in a batch of my range brass (I try to ONLY pick up my own from the range but from time to time random pieces find their way home with me)

I've never seen this before and so I had to Google and see what in the world it is/was. This thing seems like a beast! Why didn't it become more of a thing I wonder?

Basically a longer 45 acp....if 40 s&w was paralleled to 45acp then would be it's 10mm....higher pressure and more umph. Looks formidable.

Anyone have any experience with it? Don't think I'm interested in finding a niche caliber and firearm at the moment but it is interesting...would be a killer whitetail round in pistol

Also, strangely enough it seems to be a completely new piece of brass? Random I know but has zero carbon scoring and doesn't look like any chamber marks or die marks on the brass at all....it does seem to have a couple of tarnish marks where I would imagine the anvil of the primer could be but again, doesn't seem to have any marks in the primer pocket to indicate a primer was ever there (looked at it through a jewelers loope) very strange to find it in range brass for sure...does seem to have an ever so slight flare on the case mouth as if it was prepped for loading but nothing else. Any)all of this could be coincidence but it's all a mystery at this point to me.

Posting here to get your guys musings and get some stories from someone who has seen it beforehttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210103/02b3c243c050d9adfc5ce8fccf249f74.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210103/96cead87ae8d1cd78ee233366f35949c.jpg

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Vegas Vince
01-03-2021, 02:41 PM
45 win mag made by grizzly firearms in Utah. last time I checked (10 years ago) several year wait & $1800.00??

just google it. LAR in salt lake, but not sure if they still make them. I have a 50 cal rifle from them. Hope that helps.

mdi
01-03-2021, 03:31 PM
https://www.google.com/search?q=45+winchester+magnum&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS874US874&oq=45+Winchester+Magnum&aqs=chrome.0.0i457j0l7.10266j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
A bit of info. I haven't heard much (anything) about this cartridge in a few years but do remember quite a bit of discussion several years ago...

dtknowles
01-03-2021, 03:50 PM
Beside the LAR Grizzly, it is still chambered in the Wildey gas operated semi-auto that is still in production and the Auto-Mag IV not to be confused with the original Auto-Mag.

Tim

wbbh
01-03-2021, 04:10 PM
It was chambered in the Thompson Center Contender, as was my first Contender pistol.

GONRA
01-03-2021, 04:15 PM
GONRA hasa couple .45 WinMags in my semiauto collection:

.45 WinMag AMT Automag IV pistol, extra magazine,
10 20 rd. boxes Winchester (FMJ?) ammo.
2016 Numrich arms spare parts, 377 rds handloads.

.45 WinMag L.A.R. Grizzly Win Mag, blue finish, compensator,
extra mag, tool, original barrel bushing.

These are a "hoot to shoot" - BUT watch it with the AMT's light trigger pull!
NOT safe for wife & kids - experienced shooters only here....
Grizzly is finely fitted, like a bank vault.
Best to not shoot the AMT too much - galling potential.
Be SURE to use MoS2 grease on these Stainless Steel items...

Hava 1000 rd.case of New Primed Winchester brass too, from "The Good Olde Days".
Can make really cool tracers by drilling out back of FMJ .45 ACP bullets and
pressing in a cutoff .30 cal. orange tip tracer bullet.
They travel FAR. Snowy day fun ammo...
Etc. Etc. Etc.....

Texas by God
01-03-2021, 04:18 PM
And it had a little brother; the 9mm Win Mag.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

John McCorkle
01-03-2021, 04:26 PM
And it had a little brother; the 9mm Win Mag.

Sent from my SM-A716U using TapatalkWild, never seen that one either

Looks like a 38 super long or a 350 legend short ...

Bet it would be a good candidate for whitetail too at reasonable distance

truckerdave397
01-03-2021, 04:52 PM
I have a AMT 45 WM. I my old age I tried to rack the slide about 6 months ago and could not do it. I guess that it is a younger mans gun.

Wheelgun
01-03-2021, 05:07 PM
I was using 45 Win Mag in my Redhawk 45 acp/Colt. I loaded it as a rimless Schofield with moonclips. Worked excellent for my purposes.

nockhunter
01-03-2021, 06:03 PM
I always thought that cartridge would be great in the Ruger bolt action rifles (M 77/44, M77/357) aka M77/45win. Without the rim feeding would be flawless. With the proper twist rate, 250g-350g bullets would hammer deer.
Mike

gpidaho
01-03-2021, 06:13 PM
Just got a PM yesterday from a new member wanting to sell some 45 Win mag and 41 A&E brass, Maybe He will see this or you can PM me for contact info. if you're in need of either. Gp

No_1
01-03-2021, 06:18 PM
I have ~149 pieces left over from a .41 Avenger project. 100 are virgin and 49 were necked down then back up to get them back to (almost) factory spec. I figured one day I would need them for something so I wait.

Robert

John McCorkle
01-03-2021, 06:29 PM
No I do t need any including the piece of brass I have just curious about the caliber all together.

I'm certain there are a hundred calibers I've never seen or heard of but didn't expect I'd see recent autoloaders in such calibers.

I agree I think heavy loads would smack deer or hog or anything that found it's unfortunate way into your sights with one of those in hand.

Mk42gunner
01-03-2021, 08:38 PM
.45 Win Mag, if I ever have some money I don't know what to do with I will buy a bag of brass to make .45ACP shotshells from. I think it could be used without trimming.

Robert

cwtebay
01-03-2021, 10:11 PM
I have mused about finding a junker 1910 Winchester and chambering it for 45 Win Mag. But alas, I believe the junkers are $500+ now!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

lar45
01-04-2021, 01:18 AM
An M1 Carbine in 45 Win Mag would be awesome

lar45
01-04-2021, 01:20 AM
Ruger should do a Mini-45 , I'd bet they would sell truckloads of them.

Cherokee
01-04-2021, 07:32 PM
I have a Ruger Blackhawk with the 45 ACP cylinder that has been rechambered for 45 WM; never found any ammo for it. I remember all the hype about it and the 9mm WM years ago.

John McCorkle
01-04-2021, 07:37 PM
I have a Ruger Blackhawk with the 45 ACP cylinder that has been rechambered for 45 WM; never found any ammo for it. I remember all the hype about it and the 9mm WM years ago.Wonder why it never took off or did it just not reach a market saturation enough to get and keep a presence?

onelight
01-04-2021, 09:30 PM
Wonder why it never took off or did it just not reach a market saturation enough to get and keep a presence?

The reason I never got one was I felt a revolver in that power range was much more flexible to load to any power level with any weight bullet that was appropriate , and a 45 colt or 44 mag does not sling the expensive and harder to find brass all over the country side and the grip size is not comfortable to me. But they would be fun and I am glad they make them for the folks that want them , just personal preference .

Texas by God
01-04-2021, 09:39 PM
An M1 Carbine in 45 Win Mag would be awesomeIt was tried. It was too much for the petite action to take.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

LinotypeIngot
01-04-2021, 09:48 PM
It kind of irks me that the LAR Grizzly never took off and yet the *** known as the Desert Eagle persists to this day.

alamogunr
01-04-2021, 09:53 PM
I've got an extra cylinder for the FA 83 in 45 Win Mag. I bought a couple of hundred brass from Starline. Haven't felt the urge to follow up with loads. I won't go into how I happened to end up with this cylinder.

lar45
01-05-2021, 01:19 AM
I would like to get a LAR in 50AE .
Back on the guns.com site a few years ago there was a guy in Alaska that was a hot loader from way back. Anyways he wrote about some insane loads in a LAR 45 win mag.
Can't remember his name.

John McCorkle
01-05-2021, 01:26 AM
I would like to get a LAR in 50AE .
Back on the guns.com site a few years ago there was a guy in Alaska that was a hot loader from way back. Anyways he wrote about some insane loads in a LAR 45 win mag.
Can't remember his name.I bet pushing the limits on that one would be an adrenaline rush...I e never dabbled in hot loads but if you had the gun that could handle it I bet it would be downright savage

shootinfox2
01-05-2021, 09:20 PM
I have the AMT automag and a Contender in 45 win mag. Both are a handful, but fun to shoot.

Tim357
01-05-2021, 10:55 PM
There was also a single action revolver made i think in Arizona or marketed from here that was chambered in .45 Win Mag. The name escapes me att. Perhaps my CRS will abate later on

lar45
01-05-2021, 11:01 PM
North American Arms went with the rimless cartridges. I think you could get theirs in 45acp, 45 Win mag, and 450 Magnum Express?

dtknowles
01-05-2021, 11:14 PM
North American Arms went with the rimless cartridges. I think you could get theirs in 45acp, 45 Win mag, and 450 Magnum Express?

Yes, single actions with an ejector rod don't need rimless rounds and even double action swing out cylineders can use moon clips. You don't need a rim. That said 45 win mag does not have a lot to hold over a 454 Casull.

wbbh
01-06-2021, 12:41 AM

I can vouch for 450 Magnum Express, I have one and would be happy to find a .45 Winchester Magnum cylinder or the .45 Colt cylinder some came with. I have a box of Starline .454 Casull cases I plan to turn into 450 Magnum Express brass, but it's one of those "much later" projects.

NAA decided to include a .45 Winchester Magnum cylinder. A third cylinder in .45 Colt was also offered, though I doubt that many of these were produced. All were stamped on their face as to indicate the chambering using either 450, 45W, or 45C. It’s not surprising that when you do find these revolvers, the .45 Win Mag cylinder is in the gun and the .450 Express cylinder often looks unused.

Source: https://www.singleactions.com/files/NAA450MagnumExpress.pdf

lar45
01-07-2021, 01:29 AM
You could probably just trim the 454 brass to 1.340", then put the brass in a drill and turn the rims down with a file.
As far as the extra cylinders, I wonder if Jack Huntington would make them for you? His prices seem pretty reasonable and he has a rather quick turn around time.

cainttype
01-07-2021, 08:57 AM
45 Win Mag is an excellent cartridge that you could loosely compare to a 44 Mag-ish round being suitable for feeding properly through mags and actions best suited to rimless cases.
The LAR Grizzly was/is a fine choice for those who love the 1911 platform, on steroids... The AMT Auto-Mag IV is a LARGE (“boxy”) gun that has a GREAT trigger and can be exceptionally accurate... I’ve used both extensively.
An AR carbine variant in this cartridge would be beyond AWESOME.
Had Ruger possessed the smarts to chamber the Mini-14 in it instead of the ill-fated 44 Mag variant I’d likely have more than one yo play with, but the rimmed case/rotary magazine thing was not anything I was interested in.

Like many others, the case was necked to several smaller diameters that had a big “cool” factor. I’m still looking for the 357/45WM “Grizzly” conversion for the LAR pistols.

alamogunr
01-07-2021, 09:08 AM
You could probably just trim the 454 brass to 1.340", then put the brass in a drill and turn the rims down with a file.
As far as the extra cylinders, I wonder if Jack Huntington would make them for you? His prices seem pretty reasonable and he has a rather quick turn around time.

Jack Huntington converted an extra .45 ACP cylinder for the FA 83 into .45 Win Mag. To my untrained brain that only required reaming a little deeper. The cylinder was already matched to the FA.

kreuzlover
01-08-2021, 12:58 PM
I had one of the LAR Grizzly pistols, and it was extremely accurate. I even got big lead bullets for the .45 Colt to feed in mine. I think they were coming out of the mold at 265 grains. Big wide lead bullets out of an old Lyman mold. I've got chrono records around here, somewhere, of the loads I shot through mine. Alas, I tired of it, and traded it off for some gun I just had to have at the time. I wish Magnum Research would chamber it in the Desert Eagle. I would buy a barrel for my Desert Eagle in a New York minute.

BigJohnYup
02-20-2021, 08:32 PM
I shot an AMT Automag in 45 Win Mag a friend had, I helped him reload some rounds and found loads for Blue Dot and 2400 that both put a Hornady XTP 250 gr over my chrony at/near 1425 fps. He really like the recoil of the lighter loads that put it in about the 1300 fps range. What a handful that thing was, and he still has about of the rounds left that we did up in the late 80s.

GONRA
02-20-2021, 10:36 PM
LinotypeIngot doesn't seem to like the Desert Eagle for some reason:
"It kind of irks me that the LAR Grizzly never took off and yet the *** known as the Desert Eagle persists to this day."

>>> Just for the record, GONRA's .44 Magnum Desert Eagle is extremely accurate and reliable. Phun to shoot! <<<

Full Disclosure: (Decades ago!!) Wanted a Desert Eagle for my Reference Collection, but deliberately waited until (promised)
.44 Magnum version was available. Took American Rifleman's advise - immediately gotta Timmney Trigger Job.
Saved the day on crummy Factory trigger pull.... ( Right after - Timmney quit offering trigger job. ??? !@#&$ )

(Admit that .45 Winchester Magnum LAR Grizzly looks like it was built in Watch Factory! Closely fitted!!! WOW!)

Mal Paso
02-21-2021, 10:59 AM
With 65,000 PSI the S&W 460 Mag pretty much eclipses all the other 45s for power. I imagine that affected the market.

wc870
02-21-2021, 08:50 PM
It was chambered in the Thompson Center Contender, as was my first Contender pistol.

that was one of my first as well

cainttype
02-22-2021, 10:07 PM
I doubt the 460 had anything to do with the 45 WM’s market situation. They basically occupy different time frames and their basic designs favor totally different platforms. The 45 WM spent most of it’s relatively short-lived commercial acceptance while the 454 Casull easily out-performed it.
Other than the TC Contender, firearms made for it like the LAR Grizzly and Wildey were were a little pricey for mass acceptance, not to mention having very little PR promotional effort via gun-rags and writers with more desk time than range experience.
The Desert Eagle never pushed it, and many dummies proclaimed AMT was inferior equipment... It was just extra nails in the commercial coffin.

The 45 WM was, and is, an exceptional cartridge that excels as a heavy hitter in a hunting handgun, especially if a semi-auto floats your cork.
The fact that it used bullets and molds already popular in many weights just added to it’s versatility.
It’s another really good idea/cartridge that simply never got the recognition it deserved, and the shooting sports are lessened because of it’s absence... Hopefully that will change someday.

Tim357
02-22-2021, 10:40 PM
There was also a single action revolver made i think in Arizona or marketed from here that was chambered in .45 Win Mag. The name escapes me att. Perhaps my CRS will abate later on
I believe the name of the arm was Seville

rintinglen
02-22-2021, 11:23 PM
Price and availability killed the cartridge. The Wildey was announced with much fan fare, but it was many years before any were available for purchase, and the people who put initially down deposits got screwed over, Wildey firearms went through about 5 permutations before the current corporation which is reportedly actually shipping firearms. The LAR's were (are) great but super expensive, being half again as expensive as a Smith 629, and usually special order only. A lot of people were put off by the failure of the Bren 10, and the first Wildey offerings and wanted to see what they were buying. Then came the Desert Eagle, with a more commonly available round and with a presence in the gun stores.
I have seen exactly zero Wildeys, save for photos and only two Grizzly win-mags. Thompson center made barrels for them and for a while, it was a fairly common procedure to have the 45 ACP cylinder re-chambered on a Ruger New Model Blackhawk 45 combo.

cainttype
02-23-2021, 12:09 AM
Price and availability get more reasonable with large market acceptance.
The Wildey was a great concept with growing pains... Large, heavy, complicated, AND expensive meant almost certain failure. The fact that they were resurrected gives hope for others.
The Grizzly, by contrast, was 1911 simple. The gun cost more than a standard 1911 for good reason, but it was typically substantially less than the Wildey.

Some things fail for a myriad of reasons with quality and/or capabilities never being seriously considered. Market success keeps items being manufactured... The 45 WM slipped away because it wasn’t accepted, or appreciated enough, by the mass market.

jessdigs
02-23-2021, 12:57 AM
I scored some 45 win mag brass with my rcbs 45 shotshell dies. It works great for that, and is easier than cutting down .308 commercial brass.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210223/128f81a2e0bdd00f2b090b648cb704e5.jpg

alamogunr
02-23-2021, 11:14 AM
I scored some 45 win mag brass with my rcbs 45 shotshell dies. It works great for that, and is easier than cutting down .308 commercial brass.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210223/128f81a2e0bdd00f2b090b648cb704e5.jpg

Is that a gas check in the mouth of those rounds?

Since I'm unfamiliar with shotshell loads, do the RCBS dies neck down the .45 Win Mag brass?

jessdigs
03-03-2021, 01:09 AM
Yes it is a .375 brass gas check, and yes the rcbs shot shell dies do form the brass down. You can use 45 mag brass or cut down 308 brass and a few others. The brass forming Is really done in two steps with the rcbs dies. There is a case forming/trim die that you use first, then a sizing die that refines the brass. You could just use the sizing die, like in the 41 mag die method, but the rcbs does work better.
Both methods are outlined here:

https://www.ammochannel.com/45-acp-shotshells-handloaded/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro