PDA

View Full Version : January 2021, Photo Contest: Gun Related New Years Resolution

No_1
01-03-2021, 06:47 AM
Everybody has a gun related New Years resolution, tell (or show) us your 2021 project. I plan on going through all the reloading gear I have collected over the years then decide what I can part with. Wish me luck!

RustyReel
01-03-2021, 01:14 PM
My resolution is NO NEW GUNS IN 2021. I have plenty of stuff that I have barely shot and my goal it to use those more often and work up loads for them and be happy with what I have!! Already thinking about breaking it when Simpson's opens on Tue. Oh well. (Maybe someone will beat me to the punch on Tuesday)

Monday afternoon edit: Seems I'm sticking to my resolution as someone bought the rifle I was looking at while they were closed....I guess the new year's resolution gods are looking out for me. Grrrrrr.....

jeepyj
01-03-2021, 10:20 PM
Interestingly my New Years Resolution is somewhat similar to No_1's. I'd really like 2021 to be the year I can do the modifications to my shop/garage. I have a decent amount of room but would like to be the next level of organized. That I believe will mean fo me to clean out and part with some (maybe a lot) of items that I will not ever use.

Bad Ass Wallace
01-03-2021, 10:27 PM
I will continue to hunt but carry a good camera with zoom capacity in the pack to capture those moments that take your breath away!

https://i.imgur.com/yRXh81K.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/iT6s1nM.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/K9HbSOS.jpg

Rockindaddy
01-06-2021, 10:02 PM
New years resolution: Clean up and reorganize the reloading bench! Is it me that always seems to have spilled powder, loaded rounds with the primer in backwards or wrinkled cases, cast boolits that have a flaw still sitting on the bench instead of throwing them right back into the lead pot. Why do I save empty powder cans?

BigAlofPa.
01-06-2021, 10:10 PM
I cleaned out a room we used for storage. Donated a lot of items. Im going to move lower valuable items. From my reloading/gun room. Then re-arrange the gun room. 1st item will be putting my ammo shelf against an out side wall for weight support.

Rockindaddy
01-06-2021, 10:38 PM
New Years Resolution: Work up some good loads for my shop built Sharps 50 The Wuhan Flu kept me in the shop trying to isolate from being around alot of other folks. So work in shop! Acquired a police confiscated 50-70 carbine last year that was taken from a July 4th guy celebrating in the city of Philadelphia. The fellow was shooting old original UMC ammo! The cops broke it over the curb and took the gun! The remnant Sharps came to me as a barreled action with a broken tang. Had to weld a new tang and machine it to shape. The original carbine barrel looked like a sewer pipe inside. Had a 50 cal 26" octagonal barrel 1 1/8" across the flats. Pretty heavy but what the heck; thread er' up and chamber it to 50-70 Govt. Sawed some crotch walnut several years back and figured the old Winchester Model 71 butt plate in the parts box would make a wide enough butt to absorb 500gr bullet recoil. Had enough crotch walnut to make a nice figured forearm and a pewter end cap. Drilled and taped the tang for a vernier sight and mounted a globe front. Being an old tool and die maker; I made a roll die and rolled the Sharps Bridgeport address on the barrel and the OLD RELIABLE too so the gun would look like it went back to factory for a barrel refit in 1880! What a lunker: weighs 12 lbs!!! Just casting Boolits and working up loads! Had enough ammo to take it into the PA woods in November and shoot a small buck. Bambi in the freezer instead of jumping in front of my pick up truck! Hope to ring the 300 yard iron buffalo at the range this summer. Maybe this flu will go away by summer and I can go back to shooting with friends! Welcome 2021 !274877274878274879

BigAlofPa.
01-07-2021, 12:00 PM
Nice sharps!

Pressman
01-07-2021, 05:40 PM
Get Bubba and Bob shooting again. Bubba is a 91/11 Swiss rechambered to 308 and really Bubbafied.
Bob is a 1913 Carl Gustav Mauser that has been rebarreled to 257 Roberts. It's well done but only half complete, sorta looks like Bubba.

Then if spring is not here I can start on the Remington XP100R that is in the same state, half finished and has been waiting for 20 years.

Zingger
01-07-2021, 09:33 PM
My search on a local classifieds netted me a "Smolt". A Smith 18-4 frame mated to a 6" Diamondback that must have been a bubba project over the years. Pushed hammer forward with no effort. Ordered parts from Numrich, then Tigged the originals figuring "can't mess it up any more than it is". Wouldn't you know it-even blind chickens get a piece of corn now and again. It works- and pretty well too! I can't wait to show this one the FIL- he's a Colt fanatic and will have a fit.

Hope the New Year is treating all you well!
Zingger

Zingger
01-07-2021, 09:35 PM
Pressman- any concerns shooting the 11 in 308? Strength of the action maybe questionable, or not?

VariableRecall
01-08-2021, 12:00 AM
My New years resolution is to try and get into casting and lubricating boolits, at least to get some experience in doing so. Also, I hope to help my family understand reloading, and help them to understand the process. Hopefully, I can change their opinions so I can actually further my pursuits.

Pressman
01-08-2021, 07:24 PM
Zinger, there is not much difference between the two rounds. The 308 has been loaded to some really high pressure levels but factory is OK. There were 1000's like this converted 50 years ago. I have read nothing negative about them.

jonp
01-10-2021, 03:44 PM
Mine is to finish a couple of firearms I have been fiddling with far too long. Cast more boolits and do more testing over my chrono than I was able to last year but most importantly check my inventory of firearms, powder etc and decide what I really need and what can go. I've got a couple of guns I have never shot like a
NEF Handi 270. Not sure why I bought that but I think I was going to use the frame for several others type thing. Just never did it. Last year sold off the 6.5Creedmore as it didn't do anything for me I couldn't do with something else. This year I think it's going to be the 270's and maybe a few others. Thinking of the Handi 35 Whelen I don't use and I'm going to change a Mauser 30-06 I picked up to 35 Whelen so don't need the single shot.

Swede 45
01-12-2021, 03:03 PM
During 2021 I will do better on casting and loading than the past few years.
I have got my casting corner set up in the new garage
And a new reloading bench in my new house. (still under construction here)
I will also make bigger uniform batches of ingots, boolits and loads.

Previously I've been doing a lot of small batches of everything.. and that annoys me just like leftovers in the fridge.. a little bit of this and that, and l forget what it is and are of no longer use!

Just finished casting about 4k of 38 hbwc, next step is to lube them all and load them all..
Then, and only then I'll start the next project! :mrgreen:

MOC031
01-14-2021, 10:44 AM
Being an old tool and die maker; I made a roll die and rolled the Sharps Bridgeport address on the barrel and the OLD RELIABLE too so the gun would look like it went back to factory for a barrel refit in 1880!

Wow; your project and work is really something to look at. I envy people with the right skills at the right time and place i.e. having the knowledge and skill to make your own roll dies.

I spent most of last year trying to resuscitate the carcass of what was formerly the Montana Rifle Company. The roll stamping machine just sat there gathering dust after I more or less did what I could to make sure it was cleaned up and the parts altogether awaiting work or sale at some point in the future. I thought at the time it would be awesome if I could use it to put replica Husqvarna roll stamps on my Husqvarna hunting rifles - they've all been rebarreled and are in non-original calibers now i.e. 30 Newton and 35 Whelan. Never even got around to getting a price to have the roll stamp die made as I didn't have much spare time and didn't even have the instructions on how to properly set up and run the machine.

Anyways, pretty cool that you have the skill to be able to do work like that.

Mitch
01-16-2021, 04:21 PM
For me it is try not to buy more lead or guns.Get the 2 dillon presses I hvae had for about a year up and running a few more calibers.In general improve my loading equpment.With this comes Building a new bench and some cabinets for storing all the new stuff to do with the Dillons.Then there is getting new bigger vibe and seperater now that I have more loading capacity.Just maybe by spring I will be able to find all my bench tops again.The not buyiung guns will not be hard,but the lead thing is an addiction!!!!Good luck to all in the new year.

Pressman
01-16-2021, 10:05 PM
Getting two unfinished gun builds completed. A '96 Mauser in 257 Roberts that's half complete and a Remington XP100R rebarrel and stock work. Along with fitting two Carcano's into 98 Mauser stocks and test firing them.

Ken

dddddmorgan
01-19-2021, 07:28 AM
My resolution is to reload!

I missed the boat last year. I wanted to get everything out of storage and get going again after a hiatus of 10 years. Got so busy working on the house I didn't, boy am I sorry! Having to get set back up at crisis prices is terrible but I'm there now, I still don't have a trimmer but I can make stuff.

I did come up with about 600 lbs of lead so I've been chopping up the big chunks and making muffins and I'll start back on the boolits soon.

VOLKSRVA
01-28-2021, 05:46 PM
My resolution is to get the reloading room cleaned up, organized, and set up for optimal use. Might even go ahead and put a fresh coat of paint on the walls, as well as throw a few shelving units up. God knows it needs it haha. We have been renovating our house the past few months, and it seems everything has wound up in that one room. I am sure most of you know how that is.

-VOLKSRVA.

Texas by God
01-28-2021, 11:06 PM
276303[/ATTACH]
Quit adopting strays.
Yeah, right......

Area Man
01-31-2021, 11:53 AM
My resolution is NO NEW GUNS IN 2021. I have plenty of stuff that I have barely shot and my goal it to use those more often and work up loads for them and be happy with what I have!! Already thinking about breaking it when Simpson's opens on Tue. Oh well. (Maybe someone will beat me to the punch on Tuesday)

Monday afternoon edit: Seems I'm sticking to my resolution as someone bought the rifle I was looking at while they were closed....I guess the new year's resolution gods are looking out for me. Grrrrrr.....

Hah! I have the opposite resolution! It's been years since I've bought a gun, and have sold a significant portion of my "collection". The only pieces I have left are those of great value to me. I'll own these when I die.

Just landed a sweetheart of a job, and will be able to buy at least one high end gun this year, a few if I go with basic utility pieces.

I spend a fairly large portion of my mental capacity drooling over my options and deciding what I'm going to get.

slim1836
02-01-2021, 11:46 PM
Get what you want to keep the rest of your life. I'm at that point.

I bought out an estate a little while back just to get a Luger and an 1891 Argentine Mauser. Sold most of the rest, recouped my investment, and kept a few others for the time being.

Life is good, enjoy it while you can.

Slim