PDA

View Full Version : 521-T Ammo testing

Wolfdog91
01-03-2021, 04:04 AM
https://youtu.be/Z65jqtTG87w

rancher1913
01-03-2021, 09:25 AM
thats a cool rest you have, unfortunately my internet is to slow to watch the video but it does look intriguing

richhodg66
01-03-2021, 09:50 AM
Very refreshing to see a young guy who likes the good stuff and isn't into the tacticool stuff.

Keep the videos coming and enjoy that rifle.

Forrest r
01-03-2021, 11:49 AM
Very nice!!!

Always liked the 6-round mags that remington uses.

You might consider looking around for a 17a globe front sight for that rifle.

Murphy
01-03-2021, 01:55 PM
Wolfdog91,

Thanks for sharing your results with us, good work my friend. I'm not sure what the sight problem could be, but someone on here is bound to have the correct answer.

I bought a Remington 541-T over 20 years ago. I did some extensive testing using 14 different types/brands of ammunition. From the cheapest all the up to some Ely 10X (I think it was Ely 10X). A couple of years later I bought a Thompson/Center Contender and a new 14" target barrel for it. I put scopes on both of them. I did the same tests (I'd kept those 14 kinds of .22's for that purpose). The bulk Federal's in 550 packs back then, and the Ely 10X where at the top of the heap using both guns. I was a bit surprised, but sure was happy to the bulk Federals shot that good for me and my guns.

Murphy

samari46
01-07-2021, 03:16 AM
If your 521-T has what looks like two slots or grooves in the receiver get some 22rf 1" scope rings and a decent scope and you'll see what the old girl can really do. Frank

Petrol & Powder
01-07-2021, 09:14 AM
Of all the methods to achieve the best accuracy out of a .22 rimfire, finding the ammunition your rifle likes yields the best results.

Nothing is a better "bang for your buck" (sorry for the painful pun) in terms of improving accuracy.
When you find what your gun likes, buy as much of it as you can. If possible, buy it all from the same lot.

Another worthwhile option in Neil Waltz's excellent die used to flat point a standard 22 long rifle bullet. Not only does the flat point bullet greatly improve the cartridge's performance on small game; the process swages the bullet to a slightly larger diameter. This can improve the accuracy of the cartridge and allow you to get a little more accuracy out of cheap ammunition.

Murphy - I've owned two Remington 541-T rifles. One standard barrel and one heavy barrel. They were both outstanding rifles.

frkelly74
01-07-2021, 10:27 AM
I have a 521, it was my very first 22 rifle and I have had it since 1967. It came with a square top post front sight and was good to go. But I had to replace it with a 17A globe because I wanted the amber aperature disc and that was good as long as I was shooting 50 ft NRA regulation targets. It was ideal for that. Now it wears a red fiberoptic front sight and it really helps my eyes pick up the front sight quickly. If your rear sight bottoms out then you will need to put a taller front sight on your rifle which is easily done.

I have found that my rifle likes the Federal ammo also but I want to give some Armscore ammo a test which I got cheap over the last year when it was on sale. My, so far, limited testing of it has been promising.

I also have a 513 , scoped, and a 511,that needs its trigger smoothed up ,with the same Aperature rear and fiberoptlc front sight as the 521. I really need to shoot a lot more.

Watching you have so much fun there makes me wish I hadn't offered some friends help on their drywall project, today the weather is decent and it would be a good day to be outside . Would have been I should say.

45DUDE
01-07-2021, 03:38 PM
Good video. I have a couple of 521's. Well spoken as to what was going on.

wcp4570
01-09-2021, 02:14 PM
Good video and its amazing the difference in ammo. Old Remington 22's are one of my weakness. I have all of the 500 series models and always on the lookout to rescue neglected Remington's. My latest find was a 510P that had multiple problems and missing parts. I like shooting with receiver and global sights myself, much more enjoyable than blasting away a bunch of ammo with a semi auto. Keep on enjoying the old Remington.

wcp

mac60
01-09-2021, 03:40 PM
Enjoyed the video. I have a 521T also - the "junior special" right? The thunderbolt gets bagged on probably more than any other rimfire ammo, but it shoots good in mine too. Have a good weekend.