PDA

View Full Version : Primers

docone31
12-17-2008, 01:01 PM
Who has primers?
Midway is OUT, and they have no idea when they are going to be in.
I have been a Midway customer for many years now, so I do not have any other sources.
Any good sources?

jimfern
12-17-2008, 01:55 PM
You might want to check your local gun store(s). I was at B&S guns in Mesquite last week and they had plenty of CCI and Federal

docone31
12-17-2008, 02:09 PM
They be out, and back ordered here. I did find some at Cabelas. Gotta pay Hazmat though.
Oh well.
I was in something of a panic, I figuired it was starting now, not next month.

mike in co
12-17-2008, 02:12 PM
They be out, and back ordered here. I did find some at Cabelas. Gotta pay Hazmat though.
Oh well.
I was in something of a panic, I figuired it was starting now, not next month.

lol...it started months ago...i sell brass but picked up wolf primers as a side line....have sold way over 100k in the last 2 months

mike in co

GSM
12-17-2008, 02:42 PM
Try Powdervalley - get some of local shooters together and get a full box of primers (50,000 if you don't buy Federal). Makes the hazmat charge a little easier to stomach.

Maven
12-17-2008, 02:47 PM
Graf & Sons still has some, but it's mighty slim pickens!

docone31
12-17-2008, 03:27 PM
Mike, when I need, I will get in touch with you. I wish I had contacted you first.

mike in co
12-17-2008, 05:47 PM
its cheaper for you to buy direct from powder valley inc.
they have a big backlog.....
i only sell locally...no hazmat/no shipping
mike

Pepe Ray
12-17-2008, 07:39 PM
Don't forget to try NatchezSS, They are good to deal with and will fix there screew ups.
Pepe Ray

Shiloh
12-17-2008, 09:22 PM
A lot of folks are out of ammo also. I looked at several vendors the other day and was shocked.
Midway is not taking backorders.

Shiloh

Crash_Corrigan
12-18-2008, 02:44 AM
Anticipating the demise of the McCain Palin ticket I took the opportunity to purchase 20 K of primers months ago. Mostly Wolf primers and they are always working well for me.

Since then gun dealers and the like have beaten the drum to fan the fire of fear that BHO would shut down the supply of guns and ammo,

Maybe they are right, I hope not but all I know is that my dealer cannot keep anything relating to AR 15's, Taurus Judges or Springfield XD's in the store. HE is out of most powders and the primer selection is pretty thin even at $29 a K of any primers.

Every time I come by he is as busy as a one armed paperhanger and he is raking in the bucks now.

My fervent hope is that this alarmist behaviour is similiar to the fears that were rampant dyrung the Y2K debacle 8 years ago.

Geraldo
12-18-2008, 09:26 AM
Since then gun dealers and the like have beaten the drum to fan the fire of fear that BHO would shut down the supply of guns and ammo

How to increase sales in a bad economy.

jonk
12-18-2008, 10:10 AM
Wideners has some.

Boz330
12-18-2008, 12:53 PM
Wideners has some.

That is where I got mine and the Wolf are really reasonable @ $89 per sleeve. I haven't heard anything bad about them.
There was a primer scare back in the 90s and things got dicey there for awhile but it came around eventually.

Bob

Geraldo
12-18-2008, 03:42 PM
I stopped by two shops on my travels today, and there were more primers than I could have afforded to buy.

Like Crash, I keep having the feeling that this is Y2K all over again. I don't like to be manipulated by the left or the right, so I refuse to buy scared. I'll buy what I need and take my chances.

Gaucho Gringo
12-20-2008, 05:37 AM
I live in Portland, Oregon and bought 400 CCI small pistol primers at BiMart for $2.58/100 a couple of weeks ago. They had no shortage of them. I am beginning to believe that you can buy just as cheaply locally as opposed to buying on the internet if you find the right local source. I also shoot BP guns and use Triple 7 for my powder. I read about people complaining about having to pay $26-29.00 for a bottle of it. I paid $17.99 for my last one I bought at BiMart on sale a month ago. It pays to look at local sources that would not appear on the first look as places to buy guns, ammo and supplies. I shop BiMart all the time for other non firearm items and the nice thing is they are employee owned. They do not look down on you when you look at or purchase a firearm or related item. In fact they talk to you at the gun gun counter and will be friendly about it. The last time I was in the store I go to, the counter person was talking to a couple in their early 50's, showing the man an auto shotgun. His better half made the comment that she could hit nothing with a shotgun, but she could hit whatever she wanted with her handgun. It made me think of my dad who was Marine Corp Sgt & sharpshooter made the similar comment, only he was comparing a shotgun to a rifle. I have found no other non sporting goods or gun related store to even compare to them. They are the first place I start at when buying most things .

osage
12-20-2008, 06:09 AM
I have not been to the city for powder or primers since just before the election. Prices didn't seem out of line. Work has kept me away from the last three shows in the area. But had been working with another reloader at work to get an order from Powder Valley. Hope to save some by spliting S&H and hazmat. Just need to quit :takinWiz: around.

357maximum
12-20-2008, 06:37 AM
I have upped my primer supply, not scared or getting antsy but I cannot do nothing without them. They are not hard to find round here and no huge increases in $$ that I have noticed. I have only ever had trouble finding rem 7.5 primers locally and I fixed that issue right good last summer.

I KNOW I can make purdy darned good blackpowder iffin need be..primers are bit more difficult and INTERESTING to make.

btw if you have never fluxed a pot of melt with homemade willow charcoal you are missing the boat..just some side knowledge I picked up on that learning treck.

cajun shooter
12-20-2008, 08:10 AM
Talked to Graf's on Friday for a powder order of the HOLY BLACK and the girl advised that since the election they have been non stop. She said that people were buying anything that has to do with reloading in masses. She then stated that she herself was getting calls where the caller would ask her, what do I need to reload. She told them that starting with a book would be a good idea. She then said that Graf's is running 7-10 days behind on orders. Sure would be nice to be in the business right now.

EMC45
12-20-2008, 09:12 AM
This same thing happened when they talked about putting a chemical in primers to make them inert after a certain shelf life back when Klinton was in. 50 bucks for a thousand about right? I am gonna go get some Win sp primers today. Not cause I'm scared, but cause I'm almost out.

Hardcast416taylor
12-20-2008, 10:37 AM
Williams Gunsight in Davison, Mich. has a fair supply of all sizes primers. They have a pretty good supply of 3 brands of powders. The lines are for semi-auto weapons. They sold 36 AR`s in a week after the polls closed. They are getting phone calls from all over from dealers and you & me types for Ar types. I could swear, and I often do, that I could hear someone yelling "THE SKY is FALLING"! :veryconfu Robert

EMC45
12-20-2008, 12:24 PM
Got some Small Pistol Win primers. 25 a thou. Not bad. That's all they had though, 1000 primers. This store is huge too. They sold out of everything reloading just about.

atr
12-20-2008, 12:52 PM
I use Midsouth shooters supply...and they have primers...
BUT, I'm finding that shipping cost for primers and powders just jack up the cost unreasonably do to the surcharge for shipping "dangerous" materials....so I tend to buy local. I havent found it a problem to obtain either primers or powder,,,,,I usually buy the primers in blocks of 1000.

canebreaker
12-26-2008, 12:51 PM
I use the wolf brand primers too. On second box of 5000, not the first problem.
I've had a cci to pop while pressing it into shell.
I went to Sportsmans warehouse (local dealer)
All powder they had was up $1. per lb. Accurate #2 17.25
Primers were up .15 per 100, 2.00 per 1000. Win spm 3.20
Cheaper to buy by 100. Win spm 33.50
Other local dealers only have bullits

Suppliers are all behind on orders.
Placed order with Wideners on 12/2, email reply says delivery 12/30

Some suppliers have a notice that prices will be 5 to 20% higher after first of year.

Down South
12-27-2008, 11:26 PM
I know that Powder Valley was so busy a couple weeks ago they wouldn’t even answer the phone. They had a voice message stating that. Online orders or email only.
Just checked the PV web site and this was on the home page.
Due to high order volume we are running approximately 12 days behind on shipping orders. We are currently processing orders placed Wednesday, December 17th. Please accept our apologies for the delay. We hope to return to operations as usual within the next couple weeks.

I can’t hardly find primers or powder locally so I have to order. The Hazmat fee ($20) doesn’t help so I usually make large orders to offset it. The savings on sales tax helps so I usually come out as well or better off even if I could find exactly what I needed locally.

BTW, PV is out of a lot of common primers.

canebreaker
12-30-2008, 01:09 PM
I stopped at Gander Mountian, Jackson,TN
All primers were over 4.00 per 100, no bulk
packs.
Accurate #2 1 lb. 20.99
And I was pissed because Sportsmans Warehouse
went up from 15.99 to 16.99 on the #2.
But still able to buy bulk at online sites.
The order I placed with Wideners on 12/2 is in
shipment. Delivery date 12/30 has been changed
to 1/2 because of holidays, I guess.

Heavy lead
12-30-2008, 01:17 PM
IMO, GM is the biggest ripoff artists in the game. Especially for reloading supplies.