PDA

View Full Version : How much is enough/do you have?

Forester
12-17-2008, 12:33 PM
Just curious with metal markets doing what they have in the past couple of years how much lead have members here managed to stockpile?

I was getting free WWs until 6 months ago or so, now I think I have worked out a large supply for 15-20 cents a pound...that sound reasonable?

I probably have 600lbs or so now, and would like to have more like a couple thousand pounds set aside...storage space may become a problem[smilie=1:

And I am going to be moving by the end of next summer...that should be fun.[smilie=b:

madcaster
12-17-2008, 12:37 PM
Just about 100 pounds of pure soft gooey smokepole lead and 10 pounds of ww's...NOT enough!

Forester
12-17-2008, 12:41 PM
Just about 100 pounds of pure soft gooey smokepole lead and 10 pounds of ww's...NOT enough!

You are not too far from me as I recall...If this new supply works out I will fix you up at whatever it costs me:drinks:

docone31
12-17-2008, 12:45 PM
I just got a tooth filled. The dentures I made, one of the rest points was directly on a silver filling. It electrolyzed away the filling. Like duh.... I do know better, at any rate, getting a new filling at tremendous cost, the dentist gave me a bag of X-ray lead. About 5lbs.
Now, if I take cost, 396$ vs lead, about 5lbs, what is that a pound?
I try to get all I can, whenever I can.

ktw
12-17-2008, 12:46 PM
I stopped collecting around a year and a half ago at a little over 2000lbs of wheelweights and another 1000lbs fairly evenly split between range scrap and pure lead.

I stopped because it started costing me more than a trivial amount of money and I was worried about having to move it all someday.

-ktw

Gunslinger
12-17-2008, 01:04 PM
How much is enough? That's easy to answer... it'll never be enough :roll:
What about in 5 years when the lead WWs are history... then what will we do?

I actually just score around 80lbs af ww's today :-D. However I did see a fair amount of zinc weights in them, so they'll have to be sorted out.

In total I think I'm up to around 500lbs of mixed WWs, and maybe an additional 200lbs. I got 400lbs of lino coming in. Aside from that I'm the only one in my club that removes range lead, so come fall I'm gonna dig til my fingers bleed :twisted:

12-17-2008, 01:14 PM
if you know how much you have , then you do not have enough.

FN in MT
12-17-2008, 01:23 PM
I've got maybe 800# in the garage now. A mix of linotype, pure lead and melted down WW's. I'm very happy that I bought the 300# of linotype at a gun auction several years ago. I gave all of a nickel per pound and they estimated it at 200 pounds. Got it home and it ended up being 300+.

We are fools if we don't go out and scour the tire shops for WW's as THAT resource is going away. We just experienced near $2 a pound lead prices. With prices tumbling one would be a fool to not stock up.

FN in MT

PDshooter
12-17-2008, 01:26 PM
Two 5gal, buckets of W/W...........Not enough.

No such thing as to much ammo! as I say.

Bullshop
12-17-2008, 02:12 PM
Somewhere aproaching 15 ton in reserve. I have been for the last several years buying about twice my anual out put. I sell about 3000 lbs a year so have been buying about 6000 lbs. I still get WW free from two of my stops. Hard to average a price because I have paid fron $.20 to $1.00. Picked up 2300 lbs a week ago at $.60 lb. In that load there were several rolls of new sheet lead. I think more than likely when the price was high things walked off job sites. My buckets were disapearing from tire shops and no one knew anything. Now at $.05 lb at the yard they leave them alone because it dont hardly pay for gas to get them there. Still even at what I have I will keep scrounging.
I am looking at having a tradable commodity if our current systam fails to the point of mas starvation. Sounds crazy, maybe but its a fragile house of cards we have all come to depend on. It will only take about one week of trucks no rolling and mose food stores will have shelves that look like those of sporting goods stores that a short time ago held stacks of powder, primers, and ammo.
BIC/BS

kooz
12-17-2008, 02:22 PM
I have lost count, but I figure I am at about 3500lbs of WW's maybe a snort more. I think this is the time to stock up on the WW's as that source will be gone soon.

Hardcast416taylor
12-17-2008, 03:41 PM
I darn near broke down and cried when 2 of my favorite places to get ww either free or a box or 2 of doughnuts upon pickup went out of business within a month of each other. I have on hand in the barn about a ton or more of different types of ww, lino, and mono also about 400 lbs of hospital nuclear tracer shielding. I`ll bet nobody thought to try their hospital nuclear medicine dept. yet! I figure this much will last me till my final roll call is sounded! :castmine: Robert

Gunslinger
12-17-2008, 04:46 PM
I darn near broke down and cried when 2 of my favorite places to get ww either free or a box or 2 of doughnuts upon pickup went out of business within a month of each other. I have on hand in the barn about a ton or more of different types of ww, lino, and mono also about 400 lbs of hospital nuclear tracer shielding. I`ll bet nobody thought to try their hospital nuclear medicine dept. yet! I figure this much will last me till my final roll call is sounded! :castmine: Robert

Let me get this right: You just waltz into a hospital, go to the counter and say "Hi missy, I have a somewhat odd question, do you have any old x-ray lead you would like to give away or sell"???

waksupi
12-17-2008, 04:59 PM
Wiking, I believe I would ask them where their maintenance department is.

Gunslinger
12-17-2008, 05:04 PM
Waksupi, I see... I think I'll give that a try!

targetshootr
12-17-2008, 06:48 PM
I probably have 3000 lbs in the garage, about 700 lbs of it in ingots, enough so I don't feel like I have to go looking. This is part of it.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b233/targetshootr/IM005146.jpg

part_timer
12-17-2008, 06:56 PM
I'm setting on about 900lb of ww lead, 100lb of soft for the front stuffer and 300lb give or take of lyno. Not near enough but I'm working on it. I'm trying to work out a deal on 2000lb of ww. Maybe Christmas will come early.

Seafarer12
12-17-2008, 10:20 PM
I am sitting on about 500 lbs total of pure lead, ww, and lino.

mtgrs737
12-17-2008, 10:52 PM
This picture is old, I have about twice this amount now, at least a ton. But as you know that is never enough when you have compulsive/Excessive disorder, and you hear that they may be banning lead WW's! I have had to start a new skid when the first one got too heavy to pull around.

moptop
12-17-2008, 10:55 PM
Hi all, I made the rounds monday to try to score some WW's with no luck. All of the tires shops here look at you like you have the plague when you ask them about it. In fact, some get down right hateful. All of the franchised places are required to send them to a certified reclaimer and the ones that don't want major bucks for them. One guy wanted $65 bucks for a 3/4 full 5 gal bucket. Needless to say I told him "no thanks, you can keep it". I'm going to go by the local salvage yard sometime soon to see if they would be willing to sell me anything. Also too, since metal prices have been dropping they are all holding on to there stuff until the prices go back up again. This is just like interest rates. The Fed lowers the rate to .75% but the banks are still loaning at 6.5%, gouging the public and putting the rest in their pocket.

Now that Pb is concidered a hazardous material, tough economic times, and the big recycling push, the days of free anything are long gone, at least in this part of the country. Range recovery might be the only source we'll have left in the not to distant future.

NSP64
12-17-2008, 11:04 PM
Lead is DANGEROUS. I don't have any[smilie=1:

Forester
12-17-2008, 11:08 PM
Just a thought from a straight cost perspective...

I average 100lbs of clean alloy from a full 5 gallon bucket of WWs

100lb *7000grs in a pound= 700000grs.

700000grs / 230grs per boolit = 3043 boolits

3000 230gr boolits * say...$90/thousand= $270

So what is our time worth? if you don't count your time (don't we enjoy this?) then anything less than $270 or so for a bucket is still saving tons of money.

That said...I am still offering 15 or 20 cents a pound[smilie=1:

Forester
12-17-2008, 11:09 PM
Lead is DANGEROUS. I don't have any[smilie=1:

I got lots...if they want it I will deliver it to them at 1000fps a few hundred grains at a time:Fire:

NSP64
12-17-2008, 11:10 PM
1000fps a few hundred grains at a time:Fire:

What ya usin? a slingshot:drinks:

Forester
12-17-2008, 11:29 PM
What ya usin? a slingshot:drinks:

HAHA...I just cant seem to get a cast boolit to stand up to a 338 Lapua...recommendations?

...actually I had the 4" 44mag I'm looking for at the gunshow this weekend in mind when I wrote that

NSP64
12-17-2008, 11:35 PM
If ya get a 44mag ya better look for a Lee 310 mold. Launched at 1000 it will make a dent.:-D

Hardcast416taylor
12-17-2008, 11:49 PM
A thousand pardons wiking and waksupi and others I may have confused. Firstly I have a friend, YES I do have a friend, that works maintence midnights at our local hospital. Secondly the shielding is the approx. 45 lbs. of lead that encases the smal vial of tracer that may be put in your blood system for x-ray clarity. Thirdly maintence puts these containers in a lead lined "vault" for 12 months and checks them with a geiger counter for radiation then. If no geiger activity is present, usually none after 4-5 mos., then the shielding containers are disposed of by either offering them to staff members or if any are left then they are sold to a contaminent scrap dealer. Odd that none is ever sold as the staff grab it all up. From admins. on down my friend says grab it. He shares his take with me as we go back more than a few months friendship. The lead is about the same as wheel weights for hardness. And no they don`t glow like tracers in the dark when shot! :Fire: Robert