PDA

View Full Version : My new Lee mould.

Bazoo
01-02-2021, 03:18 AM
To say thanks for a couple boxes of cartridges, a friend bought me a new 2 cavity Lee TL452-230-2R.

When I got it, there seemed to be a burr on the cavity edge. I took my fine DMT stone, and gave each face 1 or 2 short strokes diagonally both directions, very very lightly. I use a rag and wiped all oil I could from the mould everywhere.

Then I removed the sprue plate and colored it's underneath, and the block's top with my carpenters pencil. I gave the alignment pins and sprue pivot screw a layer of graphite as well.

I heated the mould in the pot while I read a paragraph or two in Tom Sawyer. Then I opened the sprue cutter and filled the cavities with lighter fluid. It boiled and I let it boil almost out then dumped it. I filled the cavities with lead and it was too hot and took another couple paragraphs to harden so I could cut the sprue. After a few slowish casts the bullets stopped frosting. Right from the start there was no wrinkles, no oil contamination. The bullets dropped with a very light tap, just enough to wiggle the mould the slightest amount. Some dropping upon opening the blocks.

I segregated two, one from each cavity. I set them on an ingot to cool. After a few minutes they were cool enough to measure. They are slightly out of round, .003, but the smallest measurement is just over .452.

Sized the ones I cast and I got 5 rejects out of 5 pounds of bullets. A good casting mould. Not all lee moulds are like this, I got lucky on the size. However my new mould treatment has always given me good results. They weigh 234 grains from ww+sn alloy.

Just thought I'd share.

JM7.7x58
01-02-2021, 04:34 AM
That’s a good bullet. I seat it to an OAL of 1.270”. I’ve never had a malfunction with it.
JM

Doubles Shooter
01-02-2021, 08:04 AM
It is a great boolit that powder coats and shoots great. I gave a friend some of my PC'd 230 2R loads to try. 1 1/2" groups at 25 yards with his tuned Colt Model 70. It works almost as good in my Springfield 1911 A1. I cast at 715 degrees. Love the mold too.

GasGuzzler
01-02-2021, 08:49 AM
I have one that works well too. Mine are all BLL'd at this time but the PC materials are on their way.

Bazoo
01-02-2021, 04:41 PM
I'm aiming on tumble lubing them. I had a sampling of them I got off the PIF. I seated them to 1.250, right at the driving band. I had seated them slightly farther out with no issues too. They run fine through my Springfield milspec.

I've been loading them in 45 acp with 5.0 grains WSF, and this duplicates the recoil and ejection of factory ball. I'm going to work up a bullseye load soon. Anyone have suggestion for bullseye with that OAL?

Bazoo
01-03-2021, 02:53 AM
I cast with it again, and just like last time, I'm going to have to install a set screw to keep the sprue pivot from moving. Tonight I cast with just straight wheel weights, except for an inch in the bottom of the pot that had tin. It casts with ww alloy pretty good too.

Bazoo
11-02-2021, 12:10 PM
I still haven’t worked up a bullseye load for this. Probably 4.0 grains will be just right is my guess. I’m still interested what others load this bullet with.

I’ve cast a fair amount from the mould though and it still casts nice. The sprue plate screw keeps backing out so other than a set screw for that, it’s ready to go. I ended up getting other mounds, other guns, so I kinda just shelved this for a while. But it’s back in the radar.

gwpercle
11-03-2021, 11:26 AM
I still haven’t worked up a bullseye load for this. Probably 4.0 grains will be just right is my guess. I’m still interested what others load this bullet with.

I’ve cast a fair amount from the mould though and it still casts nice. The sprue plate screw keeps backing out so other than a set screw for that, it’s ready to go. I ended up getting other mounds, other guns, so I kinda just shelved this for a while. But it’s back in the radar.

Don't forget the old temporary quick fix ... a few strands of 0000 steel wool wound around the threads or push them down into the hole ... and replace bolt.
I had one that would loosen every third cast ... have to stop and tighten ...driving me Bonkers ...steel wool strands and replace bolt ...it hasn't come loose and that's been 3 years ago . I tested it with a screwdriver and it held tight so I'm leaving the temporary fix ... if it stays tight ...I'm happy !
Gary

cwlongshot
11-03-2021, 01:02 PM
NOT uncommon. Lee molds need extra "due diligence" if your one who cares about a good result and as much longevity as ya can from a LEE mold.

The spure plate can have serious burrs where the holes are cut/pushed thru. A Arkansas stone makes short work of the irregularities. Important that its dead flat. Also at the same Time it sharpens the holes ability to cut the base smooth and flush. Generally current molds have good venting but again give it a good look over with a magnifier looking for burrs in the vent cuts.

Last a real good hot bath with a old tooth brush. Blow it off and I like to season them with 2-3 400 degree bakes and cool downs to room temp. This helps allot with speed of a quality bullet you cast.

Then a tiny bit of anti seeze or Syn 2 cyl oil on the pins and spure screw.

CW