PDA

View Full Version : Jake’s 50-50 Lube?

Green Frog
01-02-2021, 12:07 AM
With the announcement that ALOX had been discontinued by the manufacturer, I figured I’d better boost up my supply, so when I saw an ad on flea Bay for hollow sticks of 50-50 at an attractive price, I figured “Why not?” I got them in and they were individually wrapped in waxed paper and in a zip loc bag with a tag saying Jakes 50-50 ALOX beeswax lube. The stick I unwrapped was a little more tacky than my last sticks of Tamarack and it looks a little more milky and flat where the Tamarack is darker brown and more shiny. So, has anybody used one after the other? How do they compare?

From what I am reading, the company may be out of business now... they certainly don’t advertise much, so these 5 sticks may be all I get, but I’m wondering whether it will need to be remelted and remixed with some more beeswax or maybe some carnauba to harden it up just a bit(?)

Frogging

45DUDE
01-02-2021, 12:19 AM
I have been using Jake's 50 50 for years for pistol. It needs no heat but a little messy. I guess they went out of business so I just ordered something else.

Green Frog
01-02-2021, 01:10 AM
I have been using Jake's 50 50 for years for pistol. It needs no heat but a little messy. I guess they went out of business so I just ordered something else.

Thanks, 45DUDE. I got the impression that maybe the sticks I got were a little long on ALOX and short on beeswax since they are so soft and cloudy looking. I guess I'll try a stick as-is in my old Ideal #1 with 313 size bullets that don't require much sizing... that should be a gentle enough use for the old press. If I get decent results that way, I'll continue using the rest of this batch that way. It should last me quite a while. I've got about everything else but ALOX for mixing my own lubes (ASSRA/Schuetzen and N-SSA muzzle loaders) so if the sticks don't work out for that app, I'll just salvage them by throwing them in a pot boiling at a lonely crossroads at the dark of the moon. :roll:

Thanks again!
Froggie

swheeler
01-02-2021, 01:49 AM
Green Frog there is an ebay auction with 41 tubes of Tamarrack 50-50 right now 10 bids at $66, ends sunday evening.

lar45
01-02-2021, 04:03 PM
The situation as I understand it is... Jakes used 50% Alox 350 and 50% Beeswax, as advertised on his auctions.
The problem is that Alox 350 was softer than the old Alox 2138F. So to compensate for the softer Alox, you needed to add 6-7% MicroWax to the Alox first to make it's consistency similar to Alox 2138F. He did not do this part, and that is why his 50-50 is a little on the soft side.
Hope this helps.

Green Frog
01-02-2021, 10:51 PM
Thanks, lar45. I guess I should also ask you about the current status of 50-50 from your supply. Does the current supply show signs of being exhausted any time soon, or will we be able to continue getting it for a while? Am I panicking for nothing?

Is there a suitable substitute on the horizon for the discontinued Alox?

Froggie

Walks
01-02-2021, 11:06 PM
What about White Label Lube ?

lar45
01-03-2021, 01:17 AM
I have enough Alox 350 to last for a few more months.
Yes I do add the Micro Wax to mine.
I have samples of what I think will be a suitable replacement and have people lined up to test some of the lubes. There is a lot of testing that has to happen before it gets the seal of approval.
I will keep you posted.

PhatForrest
01-16-2021, 06:18 PM
What about White Label Lube ?

I dont even really use 50/50, but I'm tempted to pick up a jug of xlox just to have. Perhaps with my next order of BAC.