View Full Version : Remove Lead Smear on Mold

dabsond
12-17-2008, 08:11 AM
I got a little ahead of myself last time casting for 8mm Mauser. There is a build up of smeared lead (ww allow) on the top of my Lee single mold. What is the best way to remove it without damaging the mold. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Onlymenotu
12-17-2008, 09:21 AM
Get the mold- mould nice and hot.... then rub a piece of fine steel wool over the top of it.... presto a clean mold- mould

Calamity Jake
12-17-2008, 09:54 AM
You can also try the wet rag trick, get the mold hot enough so the smeared lead is liquid then a quick wipe with a wet rag takes it right off, do the spru plate too.

MT Gianni
12-17-2008, 10:13 AM
Burlap will remove it as well or an old towel once it is hot.

Dale53
12-17-2008, 11:06 AM
You can stick a mould in the molten lead for a couple of minutes to heat up the mould blocks then just wipe the lead off.

Dale53

Le Loup Solitaire
12-18-2008, 12:44 AM
Another way is to take an ingot and use a sharp corner to rub the smear. Works either hot or cold, but probably better hot. This is assuming of course that you have an ingot mold such as the Lee, Saeco, Lyman or RCBS. The smear adheres to the corner surface of the ingot. It may take some pressure but it does the job. Enjoy casting. LLS

DJWright
12-23-2008, 10:57 AM
Another way to remove lead spots is with a pencil lead. It will not damage the mould, and the graphite from the lead will keep further material from building up. I color the underside of the sprue plate with a pencil and it helps a great deal.

badgeredd
12-23-2008, 11:27 AM
Another way to remove lead spots is with a pencil lead. It will not damage the mould, and the graphite from the lead will keep further material from building up. I color the underside of the sprue plate with a pencil and it helps a great deal.

Now that I am getting the hang of this casting thing, I don't get near as much smear as I once did....BUT......that's a fine idea!!!!!
I wonder if one could get the same results with powdered graphite?!?!? Guess I'll have to try it. A carpenters pencil should make it really easy to do too.

Edd

keeper89
12-25-2008, 01:49 PM
Bull Plate. Bull Plate. Bull Plate. Bull Plate.

See the link for the Bullshop at the bottom of the page. You will NOT be disappointed, I promise you. Save your pencils for your kid's or grandkids math homework......

runfiverun
12-25-2008, 03:01 PM
see above....... i also use nickel anti-seize.