PDA

View Full Version : DANARMS shot shells

excello
01-01-2021, 04:10 PM
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but here goes :

I have some DAN ARMS brand 2 1/2" 16 gauge shells made in Denmark. I use them ( very rarely ! ) in a German drilling.

A quick Internet check showed them no longer available after the early 1990's.

Anyone have any more info on this brand ? Did they get bought out by another company ?

I need to start looking as I am down to just 15 rds. ( yes I know - poor time to be looking for ammo !! )

Is there a good current production 16 ga. 2 1/2" replacement shell for these ?

Thanks

W.R.Buchanan
01-01-2021, 04:40 PM
Capt Morgan would be the correct one to ask about this since he lives in Denmark.

Randy

Geezer in NH
01-01-2021, 07:42 PM
http://www.rstshells.com/

Made in USA, good company.

excello
01-02-2021, 02:50 PM
W.R. Buchanan and Geezer in NH : Will follow up on your leads. Thanks for your help !

Cap'n Morgan
01-02-2021, 02:53 PM
Capt Morgan would be the correct one to ask about this since he lives in Denmark.

Randy

Oh yes, Danarms. They were quite popular here back in the previous century. I remember chatting with one of our top skeet shooters (Ole Riber Rasmussen) who was sponsored by, and worked for Danarms at the time. I complained that some of their target loads behaved very erratic at sub-zero temperatures. He told me, that although the shells looked the same from year to year, the "cheap" target loads were slapped together from whatever Italien components they could get their hands on at the time, and they would just tweak the loads to match the print on the box (okay, I'm exaggerating a little for dramatic effect, but you get the drift) The company dabbled at bit with shotgun imports as well, but went bottom-up after two decades.

I still have a bunch of once-fired Danarms shells marked for shot #7-1/2. These are high brass shells with the base head drawn from "real" brass - not just plated steel, and a full inch high! Something I have never seen before in target loads.

excello
01-02-2021, 03:02 PM
Very interesting Cap'n Morgan. Thanks !

excello
01-02-2021, 04:14 PM
just for the heck of it ... pictures of DAN/ARMS shells and box ... and my drilling. Thanks for your help gentlemen

dverna
01-02-2021, 06:53 PM
You can make them if you need to by cutting down standard hulls.

Cap'n Morgan
01-03-2021, 05:22 AM
Notice that although the shells are marked 2-1/2" (65mm) they're actually 67mm long. This was common practice among European ammo makers at the time (started by Eley, I believe). Instead of making both a 65 and a 70mm version of a line of shotshells, a 67mm length would do the trick, and work equally well in both 2-1/2 and 2-3/4" chambers.

Funny thing is, for a standard 1-1/8 ounce lead load, even a 2" shell would be long enough. While originally made of paper for black powder and felt wads, modern plastic shells with plastic wads have room to spare - even if the invention of the star crimp took up some of the room along the way. Then came steel shot and thick-wall wads, and suddenly space was once more an issue - hence the 3-1/2" (89mm) shells.