PDA

View Full Version : Got em, tried them now ????

Bad Karma
12-17-2008, 12:40 AM
OK. Got my C&H #101355HP. Tried them out nad they're very simple and well made. Now I have some questions.

When forming the the point, how do you avoid the stove pipe at the point?
The bullet comes out fine otherwise. It's a pain though to have to chop off the lead tube that results from the point forming operation.

Another question. When seating the core, has anyone ever just went with say a 110gr WC design?

What's the heaviest bullet can you rmake within reason? I have a 9x57mm Mauser and would like to make som nice 150-200gr bullets for it.

Thanks guys!

Lead pot
12-17-2008, 12:45 AM
You can make the bullet as long as the die will allow.
Just dont put to much pressure on the core with out the nose punch fully in the die or you will blow the punch.
The stove pipe is the extra lead bleed off to make the bullet uniform in weight.
Just take a sheet rock knife and cut it off.

Bad Karma
12-17-2008, 01:12 AM
There has to be a better way to get the nose to form w/o the pipe effect. Not much pressure is applied to the point forming. Not the kind of pressure used to seat the core.

cupter
12-17-2008, 07:34 AM
Be ready to do a LOT of expermentation...............

Since you have a set in .355 ................expand your mind a little..........

Say you want to make a finished 115 gr jacketed round nose bullet.........
assuming the jacket weight is 15 gr...................you would then need a "core" of equal weight=100 gr.............
the core would need also to be about 8 calibers smaller or <.08 or about .270-.280 in size...........are you still with me?.....................
Now assuming your die set is a "tangent ogive"= complete roundness to bullet nose ,no step....................
when you insert the core into the "cup" of the jacket you would start to seat the assembly into the "ram" of your press and start to swage the bullet .......
by adjusting the "throw" of the press by screw the die" in or out" (experementation).......... you will find the right amount of throw is necessary first to form the "ogive" correctly , without the stove pipeing, if it does occur less throw is necessary, make sure the correct "nose punch" is used (RN)
then take it from there.............
use a "ram" or rubber hammer to eject the finished product...
(I use. 358 200 gr.unsized soft casts for my .44 magnum)
Hope this helps............

cupter:coffee: