PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Spar T vs RCBS Turret

Lefty Red
01-01-2021, 01:41 PM
Not really a head to head comparison, but rather would the RCBS be consider a worthwhile purchase for someone that already has an old Spar T 6 hole?

Or rather, since my friend can get the Spar T for $150, is it worth to just go ahead and get the RCBS for $275?

My thoughts to him, I would pay the extra for the RCBS. But the Spar T is a worth it and should give him years of service. Mine is going strong.

What does the gallery say?

Lefty

Pressman
01-01-2021, 02:23 PM
The Spar-T is a good press and sold very well in it's day. Lately though the prices have been dropping as newer and improved linkage presses are being offered by the top makers so $75.00 is more in line with selling prices on eBay.
The RCBS is a larger, stronger press with a significant advantage of their improved linkage. Lyman also has a new turret press out that may be a lot cheaper, look it up also.

fecmech
01-01-2021, 02:26 PM
I started with a SparT turret in 1968 and still have it. I have used it for years loading pistol rounds and .243 and .308W rifle. They are IMO great little presses. Some people might look down on the SparT for rifle but I was able to load sub moa ammo for my .243 and .308 with no problem and currently loading neck sized 30-30 cast on it. My pistol loads are now done on CH AutoChamps so the SparT is used mainly for the 30-30 and occasional oddball stuff.

Lefty Red
01-01-2021, 04:54 PM
Forgot to say it’s for some pistol calibers, but both have about the same clearance so.

I love my Spar T. It has the compound links, and has been rock solid. With the shortages on equipment at this time, I have seen these old presses go for almost $200. Free market, depend and supply determines the price.

I have always liked RCBS, especially their CS. Lyman, not so much. Plus the newer Lyman offerings are from China, not to his liking nor mine.

Well, the decision may have been settled for my friend. The RCBS is out of stock again. Offered him my spare Spar T to use and try out. Maybe in spring the Redding T7s will be back in stock.

Lefty

Hamish
01-01-2021, 05:10 PM
I am pleased that the extra Spar-T found a good home J. I do kick myself sometimes for selling all that stuff off, but Iknew you and the boy would get good use,,,,,,

Lefty Red
01-01-2021, 06:56 PM
H, they have really came in handy! Have a few set up here in OH for me and a couple in IL for Jr.

Woodbridge 30-30
01-01-2021, 07:40 PM
I recently sold a spar-t for 120 bucks... there certainly seems to be a market for them still.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Teddy (punchie)
01-02-2021, 01:27 AM
Redding is just about the best. T-7

Lefty Red
01-02-2021, 09:16 AM
They are Teddy! One T7, a couple extra turrets for it, and a solid single stage press is all I really need. Probably would serve the majority of reloaders as well.

Gtrubicon
01-02-2021, 12:44 PM
I had an rcbs turret for a couple years, Lott’s of play on the turret and very inconsistent COL’s. I replaced it with a Hollywood turret and never looked back.