PDA

View Full Version : old RCBS dies surface rust

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-01-2021, 10:26 AM
After years of procrastination, I am finally setting up to load for 45-70. I bought a Ruger #3 in 2015...still haven't shot it yet :oops: Back then, I did bought a NOE mold for it, then sold it as I decided I didn't like the design. I did cast a bunch, before I sold it, so I will be able to try them. I have recently ordered another NOE mold (clone of the Lyman 457483, no longer made by Lyman), that is more to my liking (more on that mold at a later date, and in it's own thread), but that mold hasn't arrived yet. I have the Lee 340gr FN mold, that is the boolit I will be working with later today or this weekend.

Some time ago, I bought a old RCBS 3 die set (date code G, circa 1956) and the dies have some surface rust on them. Currently I have them soaking. Luckily there is no rust in the Sizing area of the FL sizer die, and also no rust in the crimp area of the seat/crimp die. None of the rust is the severe pitting type, it's just the shallow, ugly surface type.

So the question is,
Do I completely de-rust the dies (with chemicals and/or electricity)?
OR
Do I just clean them with oil and denim cloth, and maybe oil and gentle "hand-powered" wire brushing on the knurling (to leave all the vintage patina)?

I imagine some people will just say, it's a personal preference. So, while I do like patina/rust-stain on vintage tools (I have a pretty good collection of old tools, thanks to my Dad and both Grandpas...plus some that I've acquired plenty auctions and garage sales), I also like shiny and new looking tools, because who doesn't?

Which way should I go?

Bent Ramrod
01-01-2021, 10:40 AM
The insides I’d polish with crocus cloth on a stick, just in case. The outsides would get a bath overnight in Liquid Wrench and brushing with a brass wire brush. A wipe with paper towels to get the loose rust off, and any residual crocus out of the insides, and a light oiling, and that would be it for me.

Scratches, scoring or pitting inside the dies—I generally start with 400 grit wet-or-dry, go to 600 after the surface looks good and then crocus. But it would have to be an uncommon caliber for me to go to that trouble, if I found the dies used. I’d normally just wait for a better set to come along.

AZ Pete
01-01-2021, 10:58 AM
I think your plan is a good one. One extra step I took with a set of dies with exterior surface rust was to cold blue them once they were cleaned up. They took a deep black finish and look like it was intended.

ReloaderFred
01-01-2021, 10:59 AM
Use EvapoRust to remove the surface rust almost instantly. I wouldn't use anything coarser than Flitz Metal Polish on the inside of a sizing die. I learned this trick from Varmint Al's website: http://varmintal.com/arelo.htm#Polish

Hope this helps.

Fred

RKJ
01-01-2021, 11:07 AM
If you have a sonic cleaner it will take the rust off and give the dies the black cold blue look. I would use the highest grit paper or some sort of metal polish on the insides if they need it. Mine were okay.

Kevin Rohrer
01-01-2021, 06:03 PM
This has been asked before. The simplest solution (pun intended) is to soak them for a couple days in a solution of water and citric acid. All the rust will fall off and the dies will look like new. You can get citric acid on Amazon or at a women's hobby store like HobbyLobby.

Woodbridge 30-30
01-01-2021, 07:44 PM
Straight vinegar works pretty good too

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

NyFirefighter357
01-01-2021, 09:18 PM
I wet tumble rust/dirt off of tools & such.

Gtrubicon
01-01-2021, 10:48 PM
Evapo rust is a miracle worker. I’d be inclined to try nyfirefighter357 suggestion, I’ve wet tumbled anything steel that will fit inside my drum that needs cleaning. It works every time.