PDA

View Full Version : spg lube

barnabus
01-01-2021, 07:06 AM
just got a couple tubes of spg lube and good lord its smaller than any other lube provided by other lubes for a lube sizers.it will take two to fill up my sizer and for the price it aint no deal thats for sure.

DeadWoodDan
01-01-2021, 09:20 AM
I've only read how good it is, never tried it myself, not worth the price for my back yard shooting. What caliber(s) or rifles are you using it for? Curious if there was a specific reason you purchased this over other lubes available.

DeadWoodDan
01-01-2021, 09:58 AM
Just found this and is a good read if you want to attempt to dupliate.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?51120-SPG-recipe

DeadWoodDan
01-01-2021, 09:59 AM
Just found this and is a good read if you want to attempt to dupliate.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?51120-SPG-recipe

Froogal
01-01-2021, 10:01 AM
The SPG lube I use comes in bricks. I just cut some off the brick and stuff it down into the reservoir. My latest go-round with lubing and sizing took less than 1/4" off of the brick and so far has lubed well over 1,000 .358 diameter bullets. I expect I could easily lube another 1,000 without adding more SPG.

Randy Bohannon
01-01-2021, 11:26 AM
I buy it when it’s on sale at various places and blend it with 50/50 beeswax and olive oil. My targets say it works very well,I only use it for B/P.

Outpost75
01-01-2021, 11:38 AM
The 50-50 beeswax and olive oil is inexpensive and works well. If you want a firmer, hot weather lube cut back on the olive oil to 60-40.

DAVIDMAGNUM
01-01-2021, 11:55 AM
I use DGL, it is much less expensive than SPG. I also find it to be wetter/oilier than SPG. DGL is available in 1/2lb and 1lb tubs from Buffalo Arms and other places I'm sure. Also White Label Lubes has black powder lube. I have never tried it since I have enough DGL and it works. The smokeless lubes from White Label Lubes are great and I would bet their black powder lube is also.

If you get lube in bricks or tubs you don't need to make your own sticks. I use a 1 cup Pyrex measures. I melt the lube in a cheap microwave that never sees food. It is very easy to pour the lube into the reservoir. The reservoir completely fills with zero air bubbles.

John Boy
01-01-2021, 11:57 AM
Use the ‘dead ringer’ formula in the posted link ... it’s an old formula and have to believe SPG was copied from it
The tallow, paraffin, bees wax formula is the only one I’ve used for about 10 yrs for BP and smokeless