PDA

View Full Version : It has arrived!

Burnt Fingers
12-31-2020, 01:27 PM
A while back my wife hinted that I should buy myself a kilt. I've wanted one for quite a while.

I ordered a custom kilt from UTKilts.

It took about a month to arrive. I wore it around the house yesterday and I'm already in love. I'm ready to order a couple more.

I got the Ultimate Utility Kilt. The think must weigh five pounds, it takes a lot of material to cover my wide body.

I think my next one will be in Clan colors. We are MacGregor's. My father's family line is traced back to more than 300 BC.

However when one looks at all the marriages I could wear many different tartans. But I'll stick with the Paternal line.

Finster101
12-31-2020, 01:31 PM
Ain't it drafty in that thing? :kidding:

jdfoxinc
12-31-2020, 01:48 PM
Hot air rises.

Burnt Fingers
12-31-2020, 01:48 PM
Ain't it drafty in that thing? :kidding:

It sure it and I love it. Much cooler than wearing shorts.

Burnt Fingers
12-31-2020, 03:07 PM
Mine is gray. Next one will be a tartan.

Rcmaveric
12-31-2020, 03:28 PM
Nice. Thought about a kilt but not sure how I would feel in one.

I am Irish. Sir name is Conner. Traces back to Conchobhair lineages. There was five unrelated families. The royal line died off in 971 AD with king Conacht. So I ain't the royalty line. But I do like to think I have blood of kings in me.

I was was estranged from my dads family until I was 27 so my grandparents on that side had passed by the time I refound my dad. So I may never know which house I belong to.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Bazoo
12-31-2020, 03:35 PM
How do you carry, IKB? Inside kilt band?

MrWolf
12-31-2020, 04:06 PM

In a purse... :kidding: Sorry, couldn't resist. No Scottish in me but my Mom had English and Irish.

Finster101
12-31-2020, 04:07 PM

Garter holster

Nanook
12-31-2020, 04:31 PM
Did you ever see that Robin Williams video about the Scotsman inventing golf?

It's hilarious if you haven't.

Every golfer I showed it to cracked up laughing, and so did a couple of friends of mine that happen to be Scottish.

Burnt Fingers
12-31-2020, 06:53 PM

I'll carry OKB.

Three44s
12-31-2020, 07:16 PM
Norwegian and German here! I like bag pipe music but no kilts for me but I would be an imposter wearing one.

Do you think the left is going to target the Vikings for reparations to the descendants of the folks my ancestors pillaged?

Three44s

Rcmaveric
12-31-2020, 07:36 PM
Probably about the same time we get reparations for the Irish slave trades.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Springfield
12-31-2020, 08:02 PM
Lamont on my father's side and MacGregor on my Mom's. My brother has both kilts but I only have the Lamont one. Full Military style pleats in the back, thicker material, it weighs a ton. But at least it doesn't blow up in a moderate wind like some I have seen! I only wear it to Scottish Festivals and some more formal family gatherings, like baptisms and weddings.

Burnt Fingers
01-01-2021, 11:32 AM
I demand reparations for for the loss of land and cattle during the proscription. Also I demand reparations for the loss of land, money, and titles that were seized by The Crown after my ancestors were on the losing side of the English Civil War and were stripped of the above and were shipped to the colonies as indentured servants.

Monobill
01-01-2021, 12:08 PM
Considering how 2020 went, no surprise if Kilts become the fashion for old guys sitting around reloading for 2021.

Happy New Year!

Burnt Fingers
01-01-2021, 12:18 PM
Norwegian and German here! I like bag pipe music but no kilts for me but I would be an imposter wearing one.

Do you think the left is going to target the Vikings for reparations to the descendants of the folks my ancestors pillaged?

Three44s

You wouldn't be an imposter.

Kilts or similar clothing have been used by almost all ethnic groups at one time or another.

Thin Man
01-01-2021, 01:30 PM
Clan Munro here. Both my mother and sister followed the games in America for several years before their passing. We have a modest "games weekend" every year at a local college. Knowing how that institution is ultra liberal keeps me away from their property. Our ancestors have been traced back as far as Myreton Castel. My father was part owner of a dog kennel (for breeding and raising bird dogs) for a few years before the neighbors complained about the barking disturbing their peace. He politely closed the kennel. His pick-up truck carried a hand-painted image of a bird dog on each door and the branding "Myreton Kennel". It took me more than a few years to learn how he came up with the name for the kennel.

Beerd
01-01-2021, 03:49 PM
all I can say to the OP is "Thank you for not posting a picture". :grin:

Bazoo
01-01-2021, 05:47 PM
Shooting black powder with a kilt on = blowing smoke up your own skirt?

TonyR
01-03-2021, 11:11 PM
Real men wear kilts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sniper
01-04-2021, 12:29 AM
You know why kilt wearers call each other "Old Chap" don't you?:mrgreen:

Frosty Boolit
01-04-2021, 08:56 AM
Aww shucks, descended from mostly East European peasants.... But comfort trumps any other reason to wear clothing in my opinion. A garter holster would be a real surprise to the unsuspecting!

Dapaki
01-04-2021, 09:49 AM

In the Sporen, of course!

bedbugbilly
01-04-2021, 10:00 AM
I have so many clans in my background that if I wore all the tartans in a kilt, it would probably set a new fashion statement. I had a 5th G-Grandfather, Claudius Stewart, who fought at the battle of Culladen and escaped - later came to the Colonies in 1776 and enlisted in a Scottish-American regiment and fought the British again here. Later settled in Vermont. My father's family were mainly lowlanders - Scotch-Presbyterian Dissadents who had their land stolen by the British and then transplanted to Northern Ireland - Antrim County, Ulster.

Burnt Fingers - don't let anyone give you a hard time about wearing a kilt - it's in your blood and your heritage. Let me know how the "reparations claim" goes for the land that was stolen from our ancestors - a lot of the whining going on today by various individuals about "reparations" need to study their history and they will find out that there has been a long history of discrimination that is not limited to them. But you have to study history - not "re-write" it.

I believe that kilts can be made with "hidden pockets" so slide your handgun in one - if not - a good broadsword will work just as well! You do have a balmoral to go with that kilt don't you? :-)

Burnt Fingers
01-05-2021, 11:00 AM
The kilt I bought, and the one I'll buy today have a hidden pocket under the apron. It's plenty big enough for a full sized 1911.

AndyC
01-06-2021, 01:51 PM
I'm a born Scot (now American), clan Cumming - motto is "Courage"..

Probably my most famous ancestor was the Red Comyn, Sir John Comyn - murdered in a chapel in 1306 by Robert the Bruce, apparently in an argument over who was going to be King. Of course, I've been told that the Comyn claim was the stronger... ;)

I guess I should at least have a kilt in my clan tartan, but I've never bothered.

gbrown
01-06-2021, 11:43 PM
McCloud, McKitty's, McVeas, McGregor, their all in my blood. Both sides of the family. Scotch bloodline, sent to Ireland in the time of William of Orange. Mom's came over in the 1830s, Dad's in the 1700's. Living with 2 Scotch/Irish and their tempers was a fun time .

jaysouth
01-06-2021, 11:58 PM

In you sporran of course. A sporran is a "purse" worn like a fanny pouch in front.