PDA

View Full Version : .300 Blackout/223 bullet?

TonyR
12-31-2020, 02:43 AM
Good evening everyone,

I am just getting started on casting and reloading. I melted down my first load of 20 pounds of scrap lead which yielded about 17 pounds of ingots (not much, but the experience of processing scrap into something useful was awesome).

I just got my Lee Challenger press kit (50th anniversary) and .223 RCBS dies. I have a source that I can get thousands of .223 brass for free and just need to pick up some powder and primers.

My question is, what are some good loads for .223 and .300 blackout to start off with? These will just be for plinking and I want to cast the bullets myself.
I plan on powder coating also. I’d also like some guidance on what molds I need. I’m currently bidding on C225-55-RF mold for the .223. Is this the correct mold? Also, do all .223 rounds from this mold require GC? Do I need to GC .300 BO subsonic rounds?

Thanks In advanced, looking forward to making this a long time hobby!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TonyR
12-31-2020, 02:46 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201231/8b99162d2253d96f6ba6ceceba06c099.jpg

Here are the first “ingots” I made. I am ordering an actual ingot mold I just couldn’t wait to get started so I snagged my wife’s muffin tin. They don’t look pretty but I think I had the heat too low, the lead on the edge of the pot kept solidifying and had to pour quickly so it stayed liquid long enough.

onelight
12-31-2020, 09:52 AM
If the metal was well fluxed before you poured them they are fine personally I couldn't care less what my ingots look like :)

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-31-2020, 10:10 AM
TonyR,
welcome to the forum.

FIRST...Be sure to find a copy of the Lyman castbullet handbook, 4th Ed. I consider it the bible of our hobby. Read through the first half a couple times. Most of your questions will be answered, but you will likely have a group of new questions that you can ask us.

GC's on Rifle boolits ...you don't need 'em, but without them, getting good accuracy can be a troublesome adventure. It will be easy to get pistol style accuracy without them, so if you shoot a lot of 50 yd targets, you can save some money.

The Lee C225-55-RF mold, is a fine mold for 223/556.

I assume you are shooting an AR. use the google custom search function at the top of the page, with key words "Cast AR". Getting accurate cast boolit loads that cycle the action, isn't as easy as loading jacketed bullets with typical jacketed loads.

Oh, here is a good thread that probably won't come up in the above search.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?302707-223-AR-load-data-help

Good Luck.

:castmine:

John McCorkle
12-31-2020, 12:57 PM
300 blk subsonic loads don't need a gas check but...there are a ton of considerations

Bullet design and weight
Barrel twist
Barrel length and gas port location
Buffer weight
Alloy makeup
Powder coating or lube

Take your time and test. It doesn't come over night and there are few direct paths to success in your firearm without testing and practice.

I love casting for 300 blackout but it's been a learning process

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

TonyR
01-02-2021, 12:23 AM
300 blk subsonic loads don't need a gas check but...there are a ton of considerations

Bullet design and weight
Barrel twist
Buffer weight
Alloy makeup
Powder coating or lube

Take your time and test. It doesn't come over night and there are few direct paths to success in your firearm without testing and practice.

What mold do you use for .300 subsonic ?

TyGuy
01-02-2021, 12:49 AM
Not to be Mr. California Lead Warning, but you mention you swiped your lady’s muffin pan. That pan should no longer be considered food safe.

That said, if I tried to slip something like that by my wifey it wouldn’t be lead tainted muffins that put me in the hospital... haha!

djlwest
01-04-2021, 10:40 PM

Bullet design and weight
Barrel twist
Buffer weight
Alloy makeup
Powder coating or lube

I agree take your time in testing> Each mold you use will have different needs for that particular design or weight.

fcvan
01-04-2021, 11:06 PM
I started casting for .223 with the Lyman C225-55 RF and making my own gas checks from aluminum flashing. Man, those tiny checks are a PITA! I decided to order the NOE 225-62 RN designed pain based just for ASBBPC (shake and bake). I run my loads at 2250 fps which works for my 1 - 9" and 1 - 10" barrels. I have a single shot with a 1 - 14" twist with a 24" barrel. The longer barrel runs 2450 fps.

The first mold I bought for the 300 BO was the Lee C312-155 2R which worked okay when traditionally lubed but became too fat with PC. For subsonic, I bought the Lee TL 309-230 5R which shoots quite well. I later purchased an NOE C309-150 SP 3R which is loaded in 300 BO and 308 Win. I have the Lee C309-150 RF for my wife's 30-30 and tried some of those in the 300 BO. They worked quite well, but the NOE mold was specifically purchased for the 300 BO.