PDA

View Full Version : Old Dillon dies

RU shooter
12-30-2020, 08:59 PM
I've had this set of Dillon 45 Acp dies since the early 90's when I first started reloading the 45 , I have always used them in either a single stage RC or a Lyman turret press . And one thing has always bothered me about them . It's the thread fit , in my presses they have a lot of slop in the threads no other dies I've ever used have been like this from old pacific durachrome to my latest set of Redding dies . When I mean loose i mean you can move the die side to side a slight amount when it's threaded in . Did or does Dillon use a different thread pitch or whatever in their dies to match their presses ? I still use them I just have to place a case in the press and raise it up into the die to center it and then snug the jamb nut down .

JimB..
12-30-2020, 10:08 PM
Call them, I bet they’ll ask to see them and send you back a new set.

Although using a case to center is a good practice.

ReloaderFred
12-30-2020, 11:05 PM
I don't know about the present, but in the past most of their dies were contracted out to other shops. I've got one that's stamped "Dillion". I also have a neighbor who used to do plating for Dillon when he had his plating business in Phoenix before moving up here. He said Mike Dillon was hard to deal with and finally told him to take his business elsewhere.

This might be a good test for their "lifetime warranty". Give them a call and see what they say about a loose die.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Burnt Fingers
12-31-2020, 01:43 PM
Standard Dillon dies have the common 7/8x14 thread. Dies for the SDB don't and there's no way you could fit them in a standard press as they are much smaller.