PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a gunsmith/machinist that can make a custom recoil spring.

Led
12-30-2020, 01:44 PM
I need an extra power recoil spring for a Beretta 81BB. I'm looking for a gunsmith or machinist that can handle the request. Does anyone know someone with a good reputation? Before someone asks, I checked with Wolff, they do not offer springs for the gun in question.

Thanks,
Stephen

Outpost75
12-30-2020, 07:10 PM
What are you trying to do? According to Beretta, the part numbers for the recoil springs of the Model 84 in .380 ACP and the Model 81 in .32 ACP are the same. I have been using my early Beretta 81 pistol as a test platform for about a year now and have had no issues firing 84-95 grain bullets in .32 ACP with either 2 grains of TiteGroup or 3 grains of AutoComp. Zero indications of frame battering so far in several hundred rounds. I'm continuing to keep a log on the gun and will report back if I detect any issues, but so far, so good.

I've been shooting the same loads I worked up in my 1914 Colt Type III and wartime Beretta steel frame M1935.

Led
12-30-2020, 10:29 PM
Good to know. Wolff sells 15 and 16 lbs springs for the original 81. Factory is 14 lbs according to Wolff. I just wanted to add a bit of frame protection margin. Knowing that you are running the same weapon with similar loads eases my nerves.

Thanks,
Stephen

P.S.

I spoke to Wolff via email today. They are considering adding recoil springs for the Beretta 81BB and 84BB because of all the surplus pistols that hit the market last year.