PDA

View Full Version : receiver sight/front sight combo?

badgeredd
12-16-2008, 05:06 PM
I really haven't a clue where the best place would be to post this so............

OK...guys...I'd like some input from you on sights for my project rifle.

First let me explain it a little so you can understand where I am mentally (scary thought). [smilie=1::-D

Some weeks back bcp477 started a thread on the "perfect" paper patch wildcat.
Not being a patcher, I just casually read the thread. I kinda got into it as I read through the thread. One thing led to another as they say, and I became interested in the idea of using a modified 8x57 case necked to 35 caliber. Well loving the 35/30-30 I recently built, I got to thinking and formed up a case with a long neck like the 35/30-30 and the 35 Whelen and the body of a 8x57, and subsequently "named" it the 35X60 (since it ended up almost exactly a 60mm long case). After some more comments I decided I had to build one on a Mauser 98 action.

Well I sent a barrel out to Jesse Ocumpaugh for re boring and rifling (1-15 twist) and it'll be back in a couple weeks if all goes well. I purchased a nice laminated stock for it, got a couple hundred once fired 06 cases at a gun show, modified the trigger to limit over-travel and to take out some of the take up on the 2 stage military trigger. And in general I'm getting er done as quickly as I can.

Now to my question; I am thinking I want to go with a receiver sight 'cause the eyes don't like plain open sights anymore. I really don't think I want to scope it (at least not now). I am very seriously considering a Lyman #57 receiver sight with knobs and a 17A front sight for it BUT the front sight is where I am not really sure. I will hunt with the rifle but I'll also punch paper and try a bit of semi-long range shooting too. Would you get the 17A front sight or go with an ordinary open front ramp sight? Why?

Thanks in advance. Also thanks to bcp477 and Larry Gibson for their thoughts and comments that got this going.

Edd

JSnover
12-16-2008, 06:13 PM
The 17A will work but the MVA front globes offer more inserts.

oneokie
12-16-2008, 06:15 PM
Being as you want to use the rifle for different things, I would go with the 17A front sight.
Use a post insert for hunting, a circular insert for long range shooting. Get or make some insert blanks that you can customize the aperture size to encomapss the bull of the target you are shooting at. This was done in the heyday of the Schutzen matches. Fit the aperture to the size of the bull, or target silouette. Helps old tired eyes.

ktw
12-16-2008, 06:52 PM
Lee Shaver makes a better set of inserts for the Lyman 17a than those that come with it. These are available from Buffalo Arms.

-ktw

badgeredd
12-16-2008, 07:19 PM
One more question...would you use a ramp or cut a dovetail directly into the barrel?

I've seen both done and I have to say on a given rifle one or the other would look and likely function better than the other. While on others either would be fine.

Edd

Doc Highwall
12-16-2008, 07:37 PM
I have hunted with the 17a and I found that it restricted my field of view in a hunting situation. I would suggest the Lyman 93 for target/ range work and a wide post for hunting. Might I suggest midway product #818605 for interchangeable front sights.

Larry Gibson
12-16-2008, 07:46 PM
The 17A works quite well. I have several rifles with these on them and they work fine for both hunting a target work. You'll want to get the lowest 17A and a low enough ramp for the right height. I've found a heigth of .85-.9" from center of bore to tip of the post to be a good height for Mausers when using a Lyman 57 rear sight. If the barrel is the military one and the front sight band/base is there it will work quite well also. Cut/file it down until it is the right height and cut for the dovetail.

Larry Gibson

Boz330
12-17-2008, 09:04 AM
What KTW said, Brownell's also carries the Shaver inserts and they work quite well. I use the crosshair insert for hunting (Shaver). The only thing that I find bad about the 17A is that it does sometimes hang up on brush when hunting, but it does give you the best of both worlds at a reasonable price.

Bob

badgeredd
12-17-2008, 07:49 PM
Thanks guys, I do appreciate you answering. I also appreciate your comments as they do help me to weigh the options.

Edd

StrawHat
12-18-2008, 11:41 AM
I have built a couple of general purpose rifles and these were not available when I built mine.

Check out the Beech Combination sights at Buffalo Arms.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,235.html

I plan on replacing the current ramp on my 6.5 Scout rifle with one and may replace the sourdough on my 405 WCF with one.

eka
12-19-2008, 10:24 AM
Edd,

I bought a new Lyman 57 with the knobs and I hated the knobs. They were extremely easy to turn and I never trusted them to be where I left them. I sold the version with the knobs and bought a standard 57, which I am much happier with. It is just as easy to change settings using a screw driver and I don't have to worry about it anymore. Just thought I would throw that out there for you to consider.

Keith

badgeredd
12-19-2008, 10:33 AM
Edd,

I bought a new Lyman 57 with the knobs and I hated the knobs. They were extremely easy to turn and I never trusted them to be where I left them. I sold the version with the knobs and bought a standard 57, which I am much happier with. It is just as easy to change settings using a screw driver and I don't have to worry about it anymore. Just thought I would throw that out there for you to consider.

Keith

Thanks Keith,

It follows that one would be able to change setting easily with the knobs. I hadn't given it a thought. Thanks to you I won't get the knobs, good info.

Edd

Larry Gibson
12-19-2008, 04:03 PM
Thanks Keith,

It follows that one would be able to change setting easily with the knobs. I hadn't given it a thought. Thanks to you I won't get the knobs, good info.

Edd

I agree with Keith. If the rifle is used at a range with multiple sight settings required (different ranges or different loads) then the target knobs are nice to have. However for a hunting or general purpose rifle the standard M57 sight is to be preferred.

Larry Gibson