PDA

View Full Version : MP-Molds 360-640 Hollow Point mold question

8shot
12-30-2020, 07:58 AM
I went to the MP-Molds web site to purchase their MP 360-640 Light Hollow Point Mold as recommended by forum members...but it's out of stock. Sent a message as to when it will be available, haven't heard back yet.

In the meantime found their mold: https://www.mp-molds.com/product/360-640-hollow-point-4-cavity-plain-base-mold/#reviews

The description reads: Large HP, penta HP, blank pin for flat nose.

Does this mean it can be cast in (3) variations or just (2) Penta HP and Flat Nose?

Have no experience with Penta HP accuracy at 50 yards...but have had great accuracy with typical HP bullets.

On a side note been having great accuracy with the GT Bullets 135gr cast lead HP at 50 yards...so I'd like to locate a similar mold design because of the ongoing order backlogs. The 360-640 HP Light appears to be the closest in design so far.

Thanks

oldhenry
12-30-2020, 08:18 AM
Three variations:
Large HP
Penta HP
Solid: the blank pin produces the non-HP version

The large HP is what I call a "yawning" HP (as in big time large). It's designed as a defensive projectile IMHO.

I'll take some photos of the 3 variations of my MP 359 Hammer & post later ( I don't want to wake my dog yet & need to walk by him to get to the reloading room).

DHDeal
12-30-2020, 09:34 AM
Like oldhenry said, you get 3 choices. I tend to use the large in the smaller calibers. In the 44 and 45 the large pin is huge. I haven't cast with my Hammer in a year or so and I don't remember if it came with a small pin or not. I do know that with the plain HP pin, it makes for an accurate bullet. I love the -640 designs.

I only used the penta one time and didn't care for it. Nothing bad really, I just don't care for it.

8shot
12-30-2020, 10:06 AM
I know what you mean about the large HP for handgun loads...recently loaded some GT Bullets 130 gr Lead plain base HP cast bullets. They are punching some really tight groups at 50 yards in my revolver. Problem is there is a 3 month waiting period for cast bullet orders. So I figured may as well try casting my own in the meantime and came across this forum and the guys discussing the MP 360-640 HP "light" bullet mold listed as casting 135 gr bullets. But can't locate that specific mold anywhere....they have the 140 gr mold available..but I just would like to try the 135 mold. Heck would buy both if they were available.

8shot
12-30-2020, 10:10 AM
Here is the GT 130 grain bullet

USSR
12-30-2020, 11:58 AM
Here (middle bullets and right side bullets) are the MP 359640 cast and shot as penta HP and large HP.

Don

8shot
12-30-2020, 12:54 PM
Here (middle bullets and right side bullets) are the MP 359640 cast and shot as penta HP and large HP.

Don

I like that large mouth! BTW: I only want the most accurate bullet...not interested in ballistics etc. Want to step up my competition skills for next year. Need to have a tight 50 yard group and exceed the minimum 120K power factor a bit. From my past experience...my handguns really like light hollow point bullets. Just built a Model 10 and 64 (S&W) both with Clark 1-10 twist 6" barrels. Designed my own moving target scope base that works great...just need to firm up a tight action pistol load and have them in my hands. Just barely have enough small pistol primers and W231...just need the bullets!

Mal Paso
12-30-2020, 09:07 PM
There is 1 gas check version left. https://www.mp-molds.com/product/mp-360-640-light-hollow-point-mold-multi-choice/

Hollowpoint mold service could remove the gas check.

MP is a 2 man shop working overtime. It's a popular mold, he will likely run it again, no telling how soon.

Welcome to the forum.

There are 11 of the 140g in stock. https://www.mp-molds.com/product/360-640-hollow-point-4-cavity-plain-base-mold/

7shot
12-30-2020, 09:24 PM
Thanks Mal Paso...figured the shop must be shut down for the New Year period. I spotted the gas check version along with the 140g mold but will wait until the 135gr is available and probably just buy both (135 and 140) at the same time.

DHDeal
12-30-2020, 10:23 PM
Don't wait because as you may have noticed, they come and go. If you might want the 140 then get it and you can just be that much ahead. Who knows when the other may be in stock. I've been waiting for 2 specific molds for quite some time (to the point I forgot what they were). Put in your order and 4-5 days later DHL is your friend (maybe 3 days).

8shot
01-01-2021, 04:44 PM
Don't wait because as you may have noticed, they come and go. If you might want the 140 then get it and you can just be that much ahead. Who knows when the other may be in stock. I've been waiting for 2 specific molds for quite some time (to the point I forgot what they were). Put in your order and 4-5 days later DHL is your friend (maybe 3 days).

I know what you mean..I really want a 130-135 LHP gr mold...just spent some of my toy money on a new chronograph today.