PDA

View Full Version : Armed with a model 10

Overalls87
12-29-2020, 10:02 PM
Would you feel safe protecting your family with this gun? I actually have multiples of smith and wesson k frames in 38 special. Its my favorite caliber to not only shoot but reload. Both stainless and blued. Mind you I have 9mm and a 1911. But don't reload for either. Only reload for 38 special. Would you choose this gun for your home defense, camping, woods bumming, gun if you were in my situation?

Finster101
12-29-2020, 10:05 PM
I certainly would not want to be on the wrong end of a .38

metricmonkeywrench
12-29-2020, 10:05 PM
The .38 has had a long and distinguished career for a reason.

megasupermagnum
12-29-2020, 10:11 PM
For the most part sure. If I preferred a K frame over a 1911, I would not worry about it "only" being a 38 special. I'm guessing you have some rifles and shotguns too though. If in your home, I'd choose one of them. Inside of 40 yards, nothing else comes close to the effectiveness of a shotgun.

Overalls87
12-29-2020, 10:24 PM
I do have a 30-06, bolt and semi 22 rifles, a .223 caliber coyote rifle, both a 12 and 20 guage shotgun with field barrels. So my 20 guage is the shortest at 20 plus inches. But my go to firearms are a semi automatic marlin 795 with a luepold 4x scope and a smith and wesson model 10 revolver. These are the only two guns I shoot anymore. Am I wrong in relying on the 38 revolver for my sidearm?

photomicftn
12-29-2020, 10:26 PM
A 5” S&W Model 10-5 M&P with 158gr HP +P, a speedloader with the same, and a Streamlight have been on my nightstand when I go to bed for a couple of decades now.

megasupermagnum
12-29-2020, 10:28 PM
Am I wrong in relying on the 38 revolver for my sidearm?

Not at all, but I'd consider that 20 gauge with some buckshot as your primary home gun.

Three44s
12-29-2020, 10:57 PM
38 revolver to fight your way back to your 20 ga.

Three44s

Walks
12-29-2020, 11:03 PM
My Dad had one in and on His bedside table from when I can remember anything, until the day he died.

I keep one too. My Girls never have to think about it. POINT and SHOOT.

12-29-2020, 11:06 PM
Relied on a Mod 10 for years of patrol & SWAT work. If you are good with it and feel natural with it, you would be hard pressed to do better. Much of the decision depends on your confidence with it. Of course, ammo selection is critical. ... and there is a great deal to the notion of needing your .38 to fight your way back to where your long gun is kept. Best of luck.

StuBach
12-29-2020, 11:37 PM
Revolvers are the original point and click device and the 38 has been protecting soldiers, police, and citizens all over the world for a long long time. As stated by others, there is nothing wrong with this weapon as a defense weapon and if your comfortable and proficient with it it means a heap more than a few more grains of weight or extra bullet diameter.

Only reason the shotgun is a better choice is the spread means a larger field of damage as opposed to one round. Once upon a time you could buy 38, 45s (ACP or Colt), 44s and who know what else with bird shot (#8?) loaded into the casing, not sure those kinds are still around but they do the trick for soft tissue. Grandpa used to load 45 colts this way with a cardboard wad at each end of the shot and a heavy crimp to hold the wad on the top. They made short work of Texas critters.

Also, nice thing is that most sizes of shot will not pass through plaster/drywall walls so you don’t have to worry as much about collateral damage if kids/family are in another room. Bullets can keep going if they find a soft surface to pass through and might end up where you don’t want them.

Edit: found this video showing what those 38 shotshell loads from CCI look like and how they perform.

https://youtu.be/38zJfxdPDbE

country gent
12-29-2020, 11:46 PM
I wouldnt feel under gunned with a model 10. They are a solid reliable weapon. If your confident and sure with it thats the big part.

With a good accurate load and modern ammunition its a solid performer;

Its not whats in the hand that matters its what hand its in. the best most expensive firearm isnt worth much if the person behind it cant make use of it do to poor accuracy hesitation or mind set. An accurate confident man with the right mindset any weapon is very formidable.

megasupermagnum
12-30-2020, 12:16 AM
Revolvers are the original point and click device and the 38 has been protecting soldiers, police, and citizens all over the world for a long long time. As stated by others, there is nothing wrong with this weapon as a defense weapon and if your comfortable and proficient with it it means a heap more than a few more grains of weight or extra bullet diameter.

Only reason the shotgun is a better choice is the spread means a larger field of damage as opposed to one round. Once upon a time you could buy 38, 45s (ACP or Colt), 44s and who know what else with bird shot (#8?) loaded into the casing, not sure those kinds are still around but they do the trick for soft tissue. Grandpa used to load 45 colts this way with a cardboard wad at each end of the shot and a heavy crimp to hold the wad on the top. They made short work of Texas critters.

Also, nice thing is that most sizes of shot will not pass through plaster/drywall walls so you don’t have to worry as much about collateral damage if kids/family are in another room. Bullets can keep going if they find a soft surface to pass through and might end up where you don’t want them.

Edit: found this video showing what those 38 shotshell loads from CCI look like and how they perform.

https://youtu.be/38zJfxdPDbE

I would definitely NOT choose any kind of bird shot for this. A shotgun is better than a handgun in every way except compactness. Even the 20 gauge, you can choose a number of loads, but 3 buck or 2 buck are about the most common. You are looking at around 12 to 24 balls of .270" or .250" diameter, leaving the muzzle at 1100, up to about 1300 fps. So while smaller than 38 special, they are moving much faster. Can you imagine getting hit with two dozen 38 specials simultaneously? Of course there is a little bit of spread for forgiveness, but inside of 10 yards it is basically a fist size pattern. The big thing is that it is in a gun designed from the ground up to be used instinctively on moving targets. It takes very little practice with a shotgun compared to a handgun to be as good, and you will never make up for that firepower.

dverna
12-30-2020, 01:26 AM
I would definitely NOT choose any kind of bird shot for this. A shotgun is better than a handgun in every way except compactness. Even the 20 gauge, you can choose a number of loads, but 3 buck or 2 buck are about the most common. You are looking at around 12 to 24 balls of .270" or .250" diameter, leaving the muzzle at 1100, up to about 1300 fps. So while smaller than 38 special, they are moving much faster. Can you imagine getting hit with two dozen 38 specials simultaneously? Of course there is a little bit of spread for forgiveness, but inside of 10 yards it is basically a fist size pattern. The big thing is that it is in a gun designed from the ground up to be used instinctively on moving targets. It takes very little practice with a shotgun compared to a handgun to be as good, and you will never make up for that firepower.

Sound advice. I use low recoil 12ga buckshot loads in the shotgun. Buy a beater barrel for one of your shotguns and hacksaw it off to 18 1/4 inches. Much more effective than a pistol. Buy or load up some buckshot shells. The big downside of a shotgun is the potential hearing damage when fired indoors. If you have a set of electronic hearing protectors, staging them by the gun is a good idea. They can also be turned up so you can better hear what the intruder is up to and where he is.

I certainly would not feel helpless with a .38, but why not use something better if you have it?

Cargo
12-30-2020, 03:54 AM
Pistol wise it doesn't matter what caliber you're using as long as you have good ammo in it and you practice with it. My wife has two S&W .38s and an Ithaca 20g and I have zero qualms about her relying on them. Most of the time my .357s are loaded with warm .38s.

Police in Germany were issued .32 and .380 Walthers for many years. Pretty underpowered by today's standards, but they worked. Don't get caught up in the caliber game, just do what works for you and your family and practice practice practice.

jonp
12-30-2020, 05:48 AM
I sometimes keep a Combat or Target Materpiece loaded with 148gr WC next to my bed. Certainly feel safe with one and I'd carry it with no problem, too.

Lloyd Smale
12-30-2020, 06:19 AM
The police and military used them for 30 years. Thats enough said right there.

StrawHat
12-30-2020, 08:04 AM
Nothing wrong with either the Model 10 revolver or the 38 Special cartridge. I like full power wadcutters in mine.

https://www.grantcunningham.com/2011/11/ed-harris-revisiting-the-full-charge-wadcutter/

Kevin

Wayne Smith
12-30-2020, 09:12 AM
Back in the 70's when 'survival' knives were all the rage I read a column in one of the outdoor mags about them. After reviewing the features of several he ended with - learn to use your pocket knife. When you really need it the survival knife will be in your drawer and your pocket knife will be in your pocket - that is your survival knife.

Likewise the gun you practice with and have available will be what comes to hand naturally when you need it. .38, .45. or .22 - all have been and will be used for critical use applications simply because they were available. Used effectively they are all adequate. Don't worry about caliber, worry about practice.

navyvet
12-30-2020, 10:25 AM
Shoot placement.

bedbugbilly
12-30-2020, 11:10 AM
No - a Model 10 is much too new. I do consider my S & W M & P (pre-cursor to the Model 10) to be more than adequate - mine was born the same year I was so that's probably why I trust it so much. LOL

They are a great revolver - great shooters and have been depended on for years. To illustrate how much I think of my M & P - I once owned a beautiful 4" Colt Python - got it at a great price and wanted to have the "Python Experience". Everyone likes different things and I know that some worship the Python - I just didn't care for it. If I was going to carry on the farm for critters, etc. - I always picked up my M & P every time - it just felt better to me. I ended up selling the Python to someone who really enjoys it. My old Smith may be old like I am, have some good old honest wear from the holster and not be "the latest thing" - but she's a great shooter. If I were to run across a nice Model 10 at a decent price, I'd snap it up in a heartbeat.

A K frame is a great revolver and IMHO, the 38 special is a great all around cartridge that's fun to reload, fun to shoot and it will get the job done - I dispatched many critters on the farm with it over the years.

gbrown
12-30-2020, 11:58 AM
I carried one for many years. Qualified with it many, many times. Great weapon, great reliability. I also carried a Colt Detective Special, new model, first pistol I ever owned. We made 3 ball loads as first up, for close quarter encounters.

Adam Helmer
12-30-2020, 12:20 PM
I was issued an 4-inch M10 in 1970 when I was commissioned a federal agent. I carried it until 1987 when the agency went to Glock 17s or 19s; I chose the 19.

My nightstand gun is a 2-inch M10 loaded with 125 grain JHPs. Tactically, a handgun makes sense because if you are awakened in the night, a revolver can be used one handed until you get to the shotgun or sks or AR.

Adam

Lloyd Smale
12-30-2020, 02:11 PM
Shoot placement.

yup a 500 linebaugh is a poor self defense gun if you miss. A 22lr to the brain bucket will stop any man.

Shawlerbrook
12-30-2020, 02:13 PM
Unless what I am protecting myself and my family from is a grizzly or polar bear, I would feel very safe with a S&W M10.

Wheelgun
12-30-2020, 02:36 PM
I carry a 3” m64 or 3” M10 almost everyday, otherwise it’s a M60, all stoked with +P 125gr JHP. In my wife’s bedside table or in her truck (can’t carry in the office) is a M65 with the same +P 125 JHP.

We really like the FIXED SIGHT K-frames around here, loaded with good ammo they are excellent choices. We carry Winchester 125gr JHP +P because I got a lot of it yrs back. I have/do carry 170gr Keith’s and full-snort wadcutters from time-2-time. I’ve had/have 2”, 3”, 4 & 5” models but much prefer the 3”, fallowed very closely by the 2 then the 4inch.

Also beside the bed is a Mossberg 500 20ga with TL-Racker light and #4 buck...

Der Gebirgsjager
12-30-2020, 03:06 PM
It's pretty much unanimous, overalls87. Mod. 10 in .38 Spec. is a good choice.

DG

Gewehr-Guy
12-30-2020, 03:25 PM
I've never seen a 3 inch M 10, now I need one ! I love my 4,5 and 6 inch models.

While I was typing this I was interrupted by a phone call, seems I just won a Ruger 10-22 from an American Legion gun raffle, first gun I've ever won !

downzero
12-30-2020, 03:35 PM

I'm pretty sure the police were using them for over 85 years. They first came out in the late 1800s and I bet there were cops on the street carrying them at least into the 80s and maybe even longer than that. A few years ago I even saw an El Paso officer with a cartridge belt and a wheel gun in his holster, still serving. And about 10-11 years ago I dated a young lady whose father was a Chicago officer, and he still regularly carried a revolver, as he'd been on the beat since the 1980s. He had qualified with autos, but he continued, almost always, to carry his revolver even into the 21st Century.

There is nothing wrong with a Model 10 for home defense. They will still be serving in another 100 years.

adcoch1
12-30-2020, 04:59 PM
My 6" with 148 wadcutters is a laser in my hands, and my oldest daughter can use it to good effect as well. The only real downside in my opinion on the model 10 is capacity. But I regularly use mine for woods bumming or heading to the mailbox. It is my favorite gun to wear when I'm just dinking around in the shop or the garden.

wv109323
12-30-2020, 05:16 PM
Borrowing a line from a pathologist concerning autopsies , It is not what you start with but where it ends up.
I also read that one shot to the abdomen or head stops about 95% of all attacks regardless of caliber.
Practice and shot placement

EMC45
12-30-2020, 05:36 PM

More like 80+ years (pre Model 10). They are fine and will do the job at hand.

ShooterAZ
12-30-2020, 06:14 PM
I have a blued 3" Model 10 on the nightstand at all times, and my wife's car gun is a 2" nickel plated Model 10. I never had a second thought about them not being "up to the task".

Butzbach
12-30-2020, 06:20 PM
Growing up in the '70s in Detroit I heard a tale from a downtown gun shop owner that a DPD Detective on the stand in a felony case summarized a victorious gunfight with and I quote: "All his jive with his .45 couldn't beat me shootin' straight with my .38."

centershot
12-30-2020, 06:29 PM
Am I wrong in relying on the 38 revolver for my sidearm?

NO, you are not. I did exactly that for decades (M67) until someone offered me a stupid amount of money for it.

RU shooter
12-30-2020, 06:48 PM
I wouldn't feel under gunned for 99% of situations to protect myself ,BUT if I knew ahead of time trouble was coming my way I would be inclined to strap on that 1911 you have with a few extra mags at the ready

FergusonTO35
12-30-2020, 07:09 PM
My 10-5 is no longer my first line home defense gun but still follows me into the woods a lot. She eats the Lee 358-158-RF over 3.2 grains Bullseye. Accurate, easy to shoot, and hits harder than you might think. I have a lovely Ruger Service Six .38 also. The military used both of these revolvers at least into the late 1980's and probably beyond. Many former servicemen told me that they were often carried by MP's and sentries. Also, my college library had a copy of the field manual for both guns, it was printed in 1985.

Mk42gunner
12-30-2020, 07:38 PM
I wouldn't feel undergunned with a good (mechanically, for this we don't worry about cosmetics) Model 10, or any K frame for that matter.

Having been an Armorer for a base that issued both 1911 A1's and worn out Model 10's (later Model 15's), I will say that in the unlikely event you have a stoppage, the shooter with the semi auto is more likely to be able to clear the gun and get back in the fight.

Normal circumstances I don't have any problems with a five or six shot revolver. If I think I am going to have to deal with more than two assailants at one time, I am much more likely to have a long gun in my hands than to rely on any handgun.

Robert

jimlj
12-30-2020, 08:26 PM
Its my favorite caliber to not only shoot but reload.

I think you answered your own question. The 38 special has sent many bad guys to meet their maker.

Texas by God
12-30-2020, 10:37 PM
To answer the OPs question;
Yes I would.
I wish I had one for every room in the house.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Murphy
12-31-2020, 02:42 PM
A little over 40 years back is when I began my handgun shooting and reloading. Like many others, I'd always had a handgun around in some shape, form or fashion. I was already a huge fan of Skeeter Skelton, Bill Jordan and a couple of others. Then I discovered Ed McGivern. I began reloading and shooting as much as I could. In short, a Smith & Wesson revolver is what I cut my teeth on when it comes to handgun work. Later in life, I took to the 1911 and learned it inside out. I would feel comfortable with either for a defensive situation if it were to arise. Which is hopefully never.

Back about 15-16 years ago, I was introduced to IDPA shooting. They held matches in a town about 60 miles away once a month on Sundays. I figured to give it a try. After I had a few matches under my belt I decided (and hoped) I would like to shoot both in the same match. The host club and range officials had no problem with it. So, between stages I'd swap gear and have a second go at the course. I kept records of all those matches for a year. Some matches, I came out ahead shooting a K frame Model 19, other times it was with my 1911. Finally, I had a year of matches I'd kept records of. I sat down and did the math. I was a little surprised, then again I wasn't for some odd reason. The numbers showed I was slightly faster and more accurate with my revolver than my 1911.

That being said. Give me a good ole' Model 10 & 3 molds. A lightweight 125 grain for critter control and other light chores, something in the 150-160 grain for all around shooting. And lastly, a Keith mold in 172 grains. Those 3 molds, some Bullseye and Unique powder and I'd feel just fine with it. I also have to agree with Texas By God. A Model 10 spirited away in every room is as good a plan as any. Right up until I get to my Benelli Super 90 with a 2 shot extension.

Murphy

Petrol & Powder
12-31-2020, 03:15 PM
Would you feel safe protecting your family with this gun? I actually have multiples of smith and wesson k frames in 38 special. Its my favorite caliber to not only shoot but reload. Both stainless and blued. Mind you I have 9mm and a 1911. But don't reload for either. Only reload for 38 special. Would you choose this gun for your home defense, camping, woods bumming, gun if you were in my situation?
Would you feel safe protecting your family with this gun? - YES !

Would you choose this gun for your home defense, camping, woods bumming, gun if you were in my situation? - YES !

The 38 Special is a fine cartridge and the S&W Model 10 is an iconic revolver. If you are comfortable and competent with that combination then it's a no-brainer.

Petrol & Powder
12-31-2020, 03:52 PM
I'm always amused by people that reference a 38 Special by saying things like: "it's only a 38 Special" or "It's just a 38 Special" :-o
From the way some folks characterize the 38 Special, one might falsely believe that a sheet of typing paper would stop the average 38 Special bullet. :razz:

If there is any legitimate criticism against the 38 Special, it would be that the lead round nose or jacketed round nose bullets could sometimes fail to stop an attacker. (although given good shot placement, even those rounds could be very effective).
A lead bullet with a blunt nose, such as a WC or SWC; is a game changer.
A good hollow point design will also get the job done.

The old "FBI Load" [a 158 grain, lead semi wadcutter hollow point, driven to +P velocities] has a VERY long track record of excellent street performance.

There are nearly limitless accounts of the 38 Special, in many different configurations, getting the job done in serious social situations. One event that comes to mind was told to me by a former Columbia, South Carolina police officer. A well known thug threatened a police officer with a handgun. The officer was not amused and placed one well aimed shot, center mass. The bad guy dropped immediately, DRT [Dead Right There]. End of problem.
Turns out the officer's gun wasn't loaded with the regular duty ammo that day but rather their normal training ammo. That round was a standard pressure, 38 Special reload, with a 158 gr. LSWC.
One well placed, plain lead semi-wadcutter, travelling at somewhere between 750-800 fps; stopped that threat. DONE.

Txcowboy52
12-31-2020, 04:01 PM
I think you are in great shape. .38 special is a very accurate and reliable round. It served law enforcement for many many years . As long as you are proficient with your revolver, I say no worries.

FergusonTO35
12-31-2020, 04:56 PM
I once had a chat with an old copper whose career soanned from the 60's through the 90's. His department had issued everything from the Colt Police Positive Special to the Glock 17. Working just outside of Chicago, he had seen bunches of fatal and nonfatal gunshot wounds in his time, and sat in on many autopsies. He said the .38 +P lead hollowppint was the most effective handgun round he ever saw. "One per customer is all you need!" he quipped.

StrawHat
12-31-2020, 08:43 PM
When I wore a badge I knew several coroners. Those who carried, carried a 38 S&W Special based on what they saw on the autopsy table. One exception carried a 1911.

Kevin

fatnhappy
12-31-2020, 09:54 PM
Not my first choice but it’s certainly an excellent choice.

brewer12345
01-01-2021, 12:08 AM
If I were expecting trouble I would want a rifle or shotgun. That said, I often have about my person a 38 with wadcutters or a 357 with golden sabers, which are basically 38 +p+.