PDA

View Full Version : Impressed by Lee

Mk42gunner
12-29-2020, 08:09 PM
I recently got tired of manipulating my RCBS ladle around the bottom pour linkage of my Promelt, so I went looking for a dedicated ladle pot. Being a retired first class gunner's mate (E-6 to you non Navy types) I'm not made of money, so a Waage was out.

I found Midway had the Lee 20 pound Magnum Melter for ~$62 so I ordered a belated Christmas present for myself.

It got here today, once I got to the actual Lee box, I was surprised to find the cardboard box was secured by the old style heavy duty staples. I thought that just about everybody used tape now.

Since it is halfway warm at least for December tonight it will get heated up for a trial.

I find that my bottom pour pots flow to fast for under 100 grain boolits when I have them adjusted to fill 150+ grain ones well. Plus I seem to like using a ladle more than just flat out production with a bottom pour pot.

One thing I won't miss is the drip art from a leaky valve on this pot.

Robert

Boogieman
12-29-2020, 08:45 PM
I pour all my HP bullets with a dipper, get a lot fewer rejects

Tatume
12-30-2020, 09:16 AM
I've been using Lee 20 pound pot and an RCBS ladle since sometime in the previous century. You now have the best of the best.

Mk42gunner
12-30-2020, 07:48 PM
Tried it out last night and I like it so far. There is one modification I am thinking of making, and that is to build a shelf next to the pot to rest the ladle and/ or mold on while heating up.

Or maybe just put an empty .50 cal ammo can next to the pot. I haven't measured but it looks pretty close to the right size.

Robert

Drydock
12-30-2020, 08:19 PM
As both a retired MA1 and a Lee Magnum user, I approve of this message.

Targa
12-30-2020, 08:52 PM
Very nice!! Lee just impresses the heck out of me, I have 12 of their molds, two of their pots, a Classic Turret, all of my dies are Lee..I could go on and on I won’t bore you with it. All have been outstanding and honestly I am not sure I would have gotten into reloading, I definitely wouldn’t have gotten into casting if it wasn’t for Lee.

markmars
12-31-2020, 12:46 PM
I'm a big fan of Lee products I started out with a Lee hand press for .223. I know have 3 Lee Pro 1000 presses, a turret press, and a single stage press. I've used Lee molds for casting and Lee pots for melting.