PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Sidewinder

barnabus
12-28-2020, 06:59 PM
My Sidewinder tub is wore out and RCBS has none and i cant seem to find one on the intern to wet polish in. Has anyone retro fitted something that would work? i have a perfectly good machine but no tub to polish my brass in.

Winger Ed.
12-28-2020, 07:11 PM
You might be able to repair it with fiberglass cloth and an epoxy like JB weld.

Sand the surface with a coarse sandpaper, and clean it well.
Soak the fiberglass cloth with the epoxy and put it on both sides of the holes.

Its a little pricey, but 3M makes a 2 part epoxy sold at auto paint/body shop supply stores for fixing
the modern generation plastic car bumper covers.

Burnt Fingers
12-31-2020, 01:48 PM
If you used that thing enough to wear out the tub I'd say you got your money's worth out of it.

I'd just try and find a new tumbler.

MarkW
12-31-2020, 01:52 PM
LOL I misplaced my tub after a move once and used something for a few weeks until I discovered the box it was hiding in. I am thinking it was a larger plastic coffee can but don't actually remember what it was but yes it can be done.

barnabus
12-31-2020, 05:25 PM
If you used that thing enough to wear out the tub I'd say you got your money's worth out of it.

I'd just try and find a new tumbler.

35 years worth

country gent
12-31-2020, 09:38 PM
where is the tub worn out? holes in drum or the drive wheels on the drum? Holes can be fixed with epoxy and matting here I would cut the mat long enough to make 2 full wraps around the drum use a tight napped paint roller and apply epoxy to drum and lay matting on tight 1 wrap then wet again with epoxy and second wrap, last is a coat over the second wrap then set on running tumbler and let run till cured to keep it even.

The drive wheels are trickier here a thin strip of rubber cut to the width of the wheels can be epoxied onto the old wheels giving a new surface here the length need to be right with ends angle cut to make the joint 1 1/2"-2" long.