PDA

View Full Version : Needs some Dillon 550B advice

la5676
12-28-2020, 06:12 PM
I picked one up recently from a club member who passed, and the widow wished to dispose of his "stuff". Three toolheads, two calibers I shoot, one I'll try to trade to someone, 45 LC.

For some reason, I don't think the guys that gathered stuff up got everything. The primer tube assembly has only one of the aluminum tubes, for small primers. From what I can tell on the few youtube videos I can find on it, there should be a permanent aluminum tube in the black 3/8" pipe looking assembly with the threaded top. The other aluminum tubes are what you push the primers in from the flip tray (also missing) with the yellow plastic end and the clip through the other end. This loads the permanent tube, then the block assembly on top with the rod inserted down through the tube is some sort of buzzer warning system. I am thinking I need some more parts to make this work right.

I edited the title to read 550C as I think that is what it is, not a B. It has the powder measure on it, the auto primer tube, etc. It looks like the B model is the basic model that one dumps measured powder into a funnel over station #2.

Pipefitter
12-28-2020, 06:18 PM
Call Dillon,,, best customer service EVER.
If you need a Dillon primer flip tray let me know, I think I may have an extra.

toallmy
12-28-2020, 06:29 PM
I believe that you are correct Sr . Does the aluminum tube you have now have the plastic tips on it for picking up primers ?

la5676
12-28-2020, 06:44 PM
I believe that you are correct Sr . Does the aluminum tube you have now have the plastic tips on it for picking up primers ?

The manual calls it a white tip,, but I watched a video that used a yellow, and I have a yellow one. Manual calls for a black tip for the tube for inside the pipe assembly for dropping primers into the slide. I also have a blue tip and a red tip. I'll have to go play with it some more.

And I prolly will call Dillon, I know they are tops in helping get set up. It's the end of the day now. Another day.

Thanks guys.

wv109323
12-28-2020, 07:45 PM
You are correct in that there are a large and small primer tube for pick up tubes. There is also a large and small primer tube that goes into the "pipe" . The plastic ends and tips are different colors ( 4 colors as pick up tube and the other tube use different ends)
The low primer warning is used as follows; Drop your primers in the permanent tube from the pick up tube, Flip the buzzer arm over the the primer tube and insert the black rod through the buzzer arm and unto the primers below. When nearly all primers are used the primer rod will weigh the arm down and the buzzer will sound indicating low primers.
I don't know the difference between a B and C model but I don't think it is the funnel over station 2. That is an option that is available. My "B" model has the powder measure.

jmorris
12-28-2020, 08:09 PM
The 550 C frame has a truss structure cast into it like this.

https://ultimatereloader.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Dillon-RL-550C-stations-2000-1200x758.jpg

The B does not.

https://www.christiangunowner.com/images/dillon45acpsbi.jpg

The BL is the stripped down version. They also changed the frame on the 650 around the same time but I guess no one got confused about them so they didn’t charge the name of it.

The C won’t do anything the B cannot, the link arm pins are threaded on the C.

la5676
12-28-2020, 08:12 PM
Then you are correct, I have a B model. I thought be meant Basic, but it appears that is what the BL is intended to refer to.

Thanks

Old School Big Bore
12-28-2020, 08:39 PM
Your toolheads are not dedicated; you can screw the 45LC out and put any caliber dies you want in there. It's the shellplates that are caliber, well, case-head-specific. Same as shell holders, per family, like 45ACP/'06/308/Mauser etc, or 9mm/38 Super/40/10/357SIG, etc. If you balk at Dillon's prices for toolheads, there are some good CNC copies on Amazon for a bit less. I haven't seen any deals on shellplates though.
Ed <><
Speaking of, I have two extra .38/357 shellplates and I could use another '06/45.

la5676
12-28-2020, 09:58 PM
Big bore,

I knew I could change dies, and tool heads also available on Amazon, go figger. I haven’t shopped for seating nose punches yet, but I load a lot of fast in everything, duh. The RN punch in this seating die has a hole in the top of the punch that ends up putting a little round mark on top of the cast boolit. Don’t hurt, just annoying. I like the solid punches of RCBS and others better.

My B model also doesn’t have any of those relief or lightening cavities on the vertical frame. Mine is smoothe. Could be older model.

garandsrus
12-28-2020, 10:51 PM
Download a manual from the Dillon web site. It will do a great job of explaining all the stations and features. It also has a parts diagram.

la5676
12-28-2020, 11:07 PM
Download a manual from the Dillon web site. It will do a great job of explaining all the stations and features. It also has a parts diagram.

I'm there now. I've already checked Titan Reloading, "out of stock" pretty standard on almost all parts. I knew that before looking, but did anyway. I'm good to go, I've been loading on a LEE progressive forever. At 65, I was just gonna get this one all set up to give to my son who wants to get started on reloading.

I already have almost all my pistol cases pre-processed, ie., deprimed, sized, flared, and primed. I use my LEE 1000 semi progressive, use two turret heads each caliber. Deprime and flare, then I prime with a Frankford Arsenal hand primer in my manchair on an evening. When I get ready to load, I use those 50 rd blocks, drop powder through an RCBS powder measure, set a boolit in each flared case, then set each one in the 1000 again, seat, and either FC die or taper crimp die. Having everything flared is kinda counter intuitive to running them through the 550. II think I can load just as fast or faster on my LEE, but just couldn't pass up this Dillon to hand down to my son.

MrWolf
12-29-2020, 08:25 AM
I think you will like the 550B. I love mine. For loading multiple calibers, look into the quick change. Bit pricey but very convenient. I have other makers dies, but I like using the Dillon dies more with it. Dillon customer service is great. You may wait a bit for it but they treat you right. Good luck with her.
Ron

ioon44
12-30-2020, 09:56 AM
The 550 C frame has a truss structure cast into it like this.

https://ultimatereloader.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Dillon-RL-550C-stations-2000-1200x758.jpg

The B does not.

https://www.christiangunowner.com/images/dillon45acpsbi.jpg

The BL is the stripped down version. They also changed the frame on the 650 around the same time but I guess no one got confused about them so they didn’t charge the name of it.

The C won’t do anything the B cannot, the link arm pins are threaded on the C.

My 550 does not look like either one of these, just smooth casting on the front frame.

jmorris
12-30-2020, 10:21 AM
The old ones with the hollow link arm pins were like that. Same frame as the 450 but machined for a removable tool head.

https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/images/520/284/600x600/100954.jpg

djlwest
01-04-2021, 10:48 PM
Look at the part schematics on dillons' website, and then contact them they have awesome customer service to deal with. And if you ever get to having issues you can send the machine into the factory (with rma) and they will refurbish the machine.

la5676
01-04-2021, 11:39 PM
I’ll ask a silly question here, as I’m not to sure I’d even want to do it. Can the 550 be made to auto advance? I say I would not prefer it as I was playing around the other night with a load of 6 gr Unique under a 115 gr TMJ FMJ. At 6 gr, it’s a pretty full case, and when manually advanced, I would see a small amount of spillage between St 2 and St 3, so I started setting the boolit in the case before advancing. With auto advance, this could not take place. I just see issues with compressed loads on auto advance.

onelight
01-05-2021, 12:56 AM
Auto advance can shake powder out of cases nearly full to.
You found the solution if it's possible on the press you are working with seat the bullet or place you finger over the case when it is advancing . There may be other solutions that others have found that are better but I use the two I mentioned when needed.

David2011
01-05-2021, 02:58 AM
The 550 can’t be made to auto advance but I’ve never found it to be a big deal to advance with my left thumb as soon as the stage is lowered. Place a boolit and an empty cartridge and repeat. I’ve had it for over 20 years, also have a 650 and had a SDB for about 10 years; both of which auto-advance.

WinchesterM1
01-05-2021, 08:41 AM
I can load 100 9mm on my 550B in 8min 44sec the same on my SDB takes me almost -0 min because I’m so much more careful not to shake the powder with the auto index. I love My 550 it’s expenzive to get set up and going but I’ve got about 30 conversions and it’s great to have btw I have a spare 30 carbine conversation for the 550

jmorris
01-05-2021, 10:36 AM
I’ll ask a silly question here, as I’m not to sure I’d even want to do it. Can the 550 be made to auto advance?

Anything can be done. I did this after it was concluded in another thread, long ago, that the SD couldn’t be made with case feed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUdzxJenkX0

That said, if you can’t avoid spilling powder with your fingers controlling the shell plate movement, auto advance unless controlled by stepper motors is only going to make things worse.

scattershot
01-05-2021, 10:49 AM
The aluminum tube inside the black metal primer tube is not permanent. They pull out so you can change from large to small primers. It’s probably in there already.

Please let me know when you’re going to sell/trade those .45 Colt dies.

warren5421
01-06-2021, 10:45 AM
I got a 550B in the 90's when I started shooting SASS. I loaded for 6 people 17-45 shooting 2 SASS matches and practice. Once I had it set it worked like a Swiss watch. Didn't need auto advance. Now have the 550B, 2 SDB's, and a single stage RCBS. I use the 550 and RCBS more than the SDB's now that the kids have moved out, son still comes home to run 9mm on one of the SDB's though.

Call Dillon and talk to a technician, on the Dillon will be one of the best calls you can make. Order a parts kit from Dillon and you have most small parts that go missing.