PDA

View Full Version : My 30+ year old Lee 20 lb pot

FISH4BUGS
12-28-2020, 12:06 PM
Well, for some bizarre reason, my 30+ year old lee 20 lb pot is flowing constantly and I can barely stop it.
After 30+ years of service it is misbehaving badly.
I don't mean the drip-o-matic style, I am talking flowing constantly.
No matter what i do I can't stop it.
I drained the pot and really don't know where to go from here.
Maybe a new spout handle from Lee?
Clean up?
Junk it and buy a new one?
What?????
Any advice is welcomed.

Froogal
12-28-2020, 12:12 PM
There might be some crud in the spout. You'll have to remove the plunger thing and have a look. I did that with my 10 pound pot to hopefully stop the dripping. It sort of helped for awhile.

Jsm180
12-28-2020, 02:58 PM
I rebuilt mine a while back, Lee charged me nothing for the parts just had to pay shipping.

Conditor22
12-28-2020, 03:06 PM
https://leeprecision.com/parts/bullet-casting/electric-melters/pro-4-20lb-parts/

Parts are free they do charge shipping and handling.

Lee's come out with a new VALVE ARM ASSEMBLY SKU: EL3426 & VALVE ROD SKU: EL3427 since you bought your pot that I feel is much easier to use.

you could try replacing the 20 POT VALVE(SPOUT) SKU: EL3451 & 7/16-20 HEX JAM NUT SKU: FE3464

or take the valve arm assembly and valve rod off, check the vale for crud build-up which can be removed with a torch (watch for fire/heat blowing back up the pot into your face and a drill bit turned by hand.

or use some polishing compound and spin the valve rod (in a drill) slowly in the spout to create a new - drip-free - mating surface.

replacing the POT 20LB STANDARD SKU: EL3474 could be a little problematic with a pot that old, the HTR 700W 120V COIL SKU: EL3453 tends to "wield " itself to the pot

buying a new one isn't an option at this time --- none available

after 30 years, I'd give myself a gift and add a PID to the pot. it's so much nicer to cast when you set the temperature and forget it :)

FISH4BUGS
12-28-2020, 04:34 PM
https://leeprecision.com/parts/bullet-casting/electric-melters/pro-4-20lb-parts/

Parts are free they do charge shipping and handling.

Lee's come out with a new VALVE ARM ASSEMBLY SKU: EL3426 & VALVE ROD SKU: EL3427 since you bought your pot that I feel is much easier to use.

you could try replacing the 20 POT VALVE(SPOUT) SKU: EL3451 & 7/16-20 HEX JAM NUT SKU: FE3464

or take the valve arm assembly and valve rod off, check the vale for crud build-up which can be removed with a torch (watch for fire/heat blowing back up the pot into your face and a drill bit turned by hand.

or use some polishing compound and spin the valve rod (in a drill) slowly in the spout to create a new - drip-free - mating surface.

replacing the POT 20LB STANDARD SKU: EL3474 could be a little problematic with a pot that old, the HTR 700W 120V COIL SKU: EL3453 tends to "wield " itself to the pot

buying a new one isn't an option at this time --- none available

after 30 years, I'd give myself a gift and add a PID to the pot. it's so much nicer to cast when you set the temperature and forget it :)

Many thanks.
I can certainly say I got my money's worth out of this one. :)
I note that there are prices on everything, but you say that Lee does not charge for parts, but charges for shipping.
I tried to call them but no one answered. I'll try again shortly.
I agree with the new EL3246. Mine is a bit different.
It might be worth replacing the rod also and the spout/nut.
I'll try cleaning it up first but if that doesn't do it, I will go the parts replacement route.
Many thanks for the great and very useful post.

Brass&Lead
12-28-2020, 05:10 PM
The plunger is not seating in the spout. If cleaning does not do it either new parts or put some fine lapping compound in there and run the plunger in a drill for a few minutes, clean and repeat. Clean it when done. It should hold in water when done.

If you don’t want to mess with it don’t throw it in the woods, throw it my way.;-)

44magLeo
12-28-2020, 05:38 PM
On the new style rod it is threaded on the upper end and the new bracket that goes around the outside of the pot the knob hookes to is threded. This removes the adjusting screw.
On my old pot I got the new parts from Titan. I ordered the new rod, bracket and spout. This new se up makes adjusting the flow much easier. The threadson the rod are 1/4 by 20. I wwent to the wardware store and bought 1/4" all thread rod connector and a 1/4" turnbuckle.
I ha some 1/4' bolts. A cut off a section of bolt a bit longer than the cxonnector. Threaded th connector onto the rod and threded the bolt down through to lock in place. This left enough so the body of the turnbuckle threaded onto the bolt.
This gives me a nice handle to easily ajust the rod as well as to spin it every now and again to stop drips.
I thought about using something heavier on top of the rod, thinking the extra weight would help the rod seal to the spout.
There are pics on here of I think conditioer22's set up. His pot has a large spring on the top of the rod.
Leo

Winger Ed.
12-28-2020, 05:49 PM
The plunger is not seating in the spout. If cleaning does not do it either new parts or put some fine lapping compound in there and run the plunger in a drill for a few minutes, clean and repeat. Clean it when done. It should hold in water when done.

^^ this.

Polish the needle first with a scotch brite or something that won't grind it away.

Jsm180
12-28-2020, 06:20 PM
When you add the items to the cart the price will show as $0 in the cart price.

FISH4BUGS
12-28-2020, 09:46 PM
So here is the plan of attack.
I will clean up the pot and the spout. That probably will do it.
If that doesn't work, it should be noted that the design of the rod and handle has changed just a bit since 30+_ years ago.
I called Lee and talked with a guy there in their "support" department.
He said to do that and see if it works, but he would suggest that I send the entire pot back and they will replace it half price.
They provide free parts if it is under warranty....but not for one 30+ years old!
If I can't get it cleaned up and it doesn't work...then Plan B - return it and get a new one at half price.
I still have the original box with the price on it - $69.95.
I think I can safely say that I got my money's worth on this one.

Teddy (punchie)
12-28-2020, 10:44 PM
Paper clip to clean the junk so it will flow and the back of a spoon to tap it to turn off.

Was fluxing out of three pots this summer. Some of the dross was rough to get the lead out of it. Ended up with a fair amount of clean lead for fishing, casting and whatever. Clean lead works nice.

44magLeo
12-29-2020, 03:47 PM
That 1/2 price is 1/2 the current price, not 1/2 what you paid.
It would be cheaper to just buy the new spout, bracket and rod.
Leo

FISH4BUGS
12-30-2020, 04:03 PM
That 1/2 price is 1/2 the current price, not 1/2 what you paid.
It would be cheaper to just buy the new spout, bracket and rod.
Leo
Oh I know that it is half of current price. I was just chuckling that I still had the original box with the original price on it after 30+ years.
I will work the pot over to make it work.
The new spout, bracket and rod MAY not fit, because the design changed a bit some years back.
But I will figure it out.
I have had good service for many years from this pot so regardless of what happens, I certainly have gotten my money's worth out of it.

FISH4BUGS
01-02-2021, 08:05 AM
Well, I took the pot apart and cleaned it. It works again just fine....along with the traditional occasional drip.
I would have to say that it is back to "normal".
For a guy that can hardly boil water, I am pretty full of myself. :)
This has been an interesting exercise.
So tell me....why are the other pots (RCBS, etc.) so darned expensive? Are they really that much better than the Lee?

onelight
01-02-2021, 08:41 AM
I don't know if they are are that much better or not some folks think so . I have a Lee 10 lb and a 20 lb both as old or older than yours . I have had to to clean the spout on the 20 but both still work and make bullets.
But a lot of folks here cast way more bullets than I do. High volume often requires better equipment .

GasGuzzler
01-02-2021, 08:43 AM
I can't get mine apart to fix it. I drained it last year to clean it out but the valve/rod/lever is seized. More research needed...

Correction about Lee replacement parts: They will send ONE of a part number free plus you pay shipping. If you put more than one in your cart, they will charge you...which is fine. The plus shipping needs clarified too: They charge about 176% of the going rate to ship. I still have way more Lee than other brands and I still buy Lee, just telling the whole truth here.

FISH4BUGS
01-02-2021, 09:25 AM
I don't know if they are are that much better or not some folks think so . I have a Lee 10 lb and a 20 lb both as old or older than yours . I have had to to clean the spout on the 20 but both still work and make bullets.
But a lot of folks here cast way more bullets than I do. High volume often requires better equipment .
I shoot a ton of cast in my subguns. Does that count as "high volume"? :)
I really have to say that in the big picture, the lee 4-20, which is now well over 30 years old, has performed well and apparently will continue to do so.
I also have (as backup) my original 10 lb pot. I haven't used it in years but it is there just in case.
I think i will be on the lookout for a good used RCBS or some other manufacturer's pot.
Looking doesn't cost me anything.

Jsm180
01-02-2021, 09:35 AM
I can't get mine apart to fix it. I drained it last year to clean it out but the valve/rod/lever is seized. More research needed...

Correction about Lee replacement parts: They will send ONE of a part number free plus you pay shipping. If you put more than one in your cart, they will charge you...which is fine. The plus shipping needs clarified too: They charge about 176% of the going rate to ship. I still have way more Lee than other brands and I still buy Lee, just telling the whole truth here.

I got a new pot, thermostat and heater coil for $14.46 shipping back in June this year, I felt that was more than fair.

GasGuzzler
01-03-2021, 10:29 AM
My 4-20 has leaked (not dripped, leaked) since new (5-6 years) and I finally got it apart yesterday except for the spout. I'm going to add the basin to my order since I can't get the spout loose. I even cleaned out the spout and lapped the valve. It's either ALL THE WAY ON, all the way off (adjusted to seat but it still drips), or if set where the valve can operate, a small steady stream comes out.

I'll take a hack at fixing it again before I order another one.

Handle, valve, spout, spout nut, pot, and two handle screws (which is the original issue, none of them were installed straight so the handle doesn't operate smoothly) for $1 + $12.29 shipping. That makes more sense than the small parts I got last month for $16 shipping.