PDA

View Full Version : Reloading Dies Score

Isaac
12-28-2020, 11:39 AM
The Mrs. and I stopped by a local flea market this past Saturday. Other than a few well-used fishing rods and some small nasty used tackle, I didn't notice any shooting/reloading supplies other than a box of Lyman All American .38 spl. dies. The dies were on a table with household/cooking items.

The box contained four different dies, a couple of de-capping stems and a shell holder. Each was dirty but I was able to rub some dirt off and determine three of the dies were the Lyman three-die .38 spl. set. I couldn't determine the fourth but it looked like an RCBS sizer die. I made a deal with the vendor for $15.

Once home, I located under the die tray, an RCBS style straight decapping pin, a headed style pin and four top punches. The fourth die turned out to be an RCBS Carbide sizer, which cleaned up nicely and looks good. Much of the dirt looked like bullet lube. One of the decapping rods and a couple of lock nuts have a bit of rust. They are soaking in oil. The rest of the parts cleaned easily with Hoppes and Kroil.

An unexpected late Christmas gift!

Thanks,
Isaac

farmbif
12-28-2020, 12:13 PM
having had to clean up a whole bunch of rusted dies I've had best success with wire wheel on bench grinder for outside surfaces and brass brushes from justman brush company dipped in Kroil for inside surfaces, brushes used by hand and in cordless drill

Isaac
12-29-2020, 11:02 AM
having had to clean up a whole bunch of rusted dies I've had best success with wire wheel on bench grinder for outside surfaces and brass brushes from justman brush company dipped in Kroil for inside surfaces, brushes used by hand and in cordless drill

Sounds good. I appreciate the tip and reference to Justman.

Isaac

farmbif
12-29-2020, 11:17 AM
it cost something like 50 dollars to get a pair of brushes in each of the sizes they offer that are applicable for cleaning dies from 22 hornet to 45 cal
plus a couple heatproof brushes for barbecue duties.

BigAlofPa.
12-29-2020, 11:18 AM
Congrats on the find. I love when stuff you don't expect pops up. At yard sales and flea markets.

Bull-Moose
12-29-2020, 12:04 PM
Nice find.

Shawlerbrook
12-29-2020, 12:20 PM
Love the treasure hunting at flea markets and garage sales. I sure do miss them. Congratulations !!!

lightman
12-29-2020, 07:56 PM
Nice find! It pays to keep your eyes open.

Spedsterguy
12-30-2020, 02:30 PM
Evaporust is wonderfull for cleaning dies. Its the best stuff I have ever used

Isaac
01-01-2021, 07:46 PM
Evaporust is wonderfull for cleaning dies. Its the best stuff I have ever used

Good indeed! I also use it to clean rusted cast iron pans.

djlwest
01-04-2021, 10:44 PM
Nice find