PDA

View Full Version : Bass Pro buys Sportsman's Warehouse

clearwater
12-27-2020, 10:09 PM
Cabelas reloading selection diminished after Bass Pro bought them. Now Sportsman's? It's gonna be real hard to buy powder locally it looks like.

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/sportsmans-warehouse-reeled-in-by-bass-pro-owner-2020-12-22

metricmonkeywrench
12-27-2020, 10:33 PM
Dingbats... the reason SW was doing so well was that they were not BassPro/Cabella’s. Gander ended up going more or less the same route when it was bought out.

Unfortunately reloading supplies are probably not the best moving/turn over product during normal times.

rockrat
12-27-2020, 11:31 PM
Dislike going to SW, but preferred it to Bass Pro/Cabelas. Guess I am out of luck now.

sharps4590
12-28-2020, 08:45 AM
The list of places I will not patronize continues to grow. Swore off BP a decade ago or more and Cabela's long before BP bought them. There goes SW now.

Larry Gibson
12-28-2020, 04:31 PM
Oh pashaw. That's why I quit going to Cabela's because Bass Pro turned them into Bass Pro's...... and I don't go to Bass Pro's because they're all about fishing and their clothing line wasn't as good as Cabela's. Been frequenting Sportsman's Warehouse for several years now. No doubt they'll move their own line of stuff in and squeeze the shooting/hunting sections down to the same as at all the other Bass Pro shops..... Guess if they turn that I'll just continue to shop at LGS or online.......

bangerjim
12-28-2020, 05:11 PM
Support your LGS's when you can. Now more than ever! I always do. Haven't been in BPS or C's in years. And now SW is off limits to my wallet!

Sad but that is the way of ALL commerce today. When I started off as an engineer in the process instrumentation business 40+ years ago there were over 15 good large instrument maker's lines out there. Now, they have all been bought up by just 3 names, and the products have all gone to Hazes in a knapsack.

banger :violin:

Kylongrifle32
12-28-2020, 08:49 PM
The sportsman's warehouse around me always had a good selection of reloading supplies. The field and stream store 10 miles from my work just changed over to a SW about 8 months ago well it was good while it lasted. I do have a dedicated reloading store that is about an hour and 15 mins for me. Looks like they just picked up my business. More weekend road trips ahead.

JM7.7x58
12-28-2020, 09:17 PM
SW had great prices on primers this past year before they dried up. I’ve got a store about fifteen miles down the road. Sorry to hear about the change.
JM

Buzz Krumhunger
12-28-2020, 11:12 PM
Look at the bright side fellows. If we need a $25.00 Stren baseball cap or a $35 NASCAR tee shirt there will be a place closer by to grab one.

shaune509
12-28-2020, 11:36 PM
And I thought that SW had just won one of the smaller divisions of the Remington sale. Hope the BP model takes a while to change the 2 local stores as it killed the Cabelas. Spokane lost The White Elephant this year a long time sporting store due to aging family owners and the covid thing, with this change there is limited LGS [<5] and most do not sell reloading supplies. The only independent local big store is Black Sheep in CdA and they are trying to be some thing for every one instead of the gun, fish, army surplus that they started as 40+ years ago.
Shaune509

35isit
12-29-2020, 10:28 AM
The sportsman's warehouse around me always had a good selection of reloading supplies. The field and stream store 10 miles from my work just changed over to a SW about 8 months ago well it was good while it lasted. I do have a dedicated reloading store that is about an hour and 15 mins for me. Looks like they just picked up my business. More weekend road trips ahead.
I'm within minutes of one in Nicholasville Ky. Is this the one you go to?

I could never buy anything at the Cabelas in Lexington. Their prices were way too high. I did buy a few things from SW.

tankgunner59
12-29-2020, 01:27 PM
WE don't have a SW any where near us, there is a Gamemasters Outdoors but they shrunk their reloading isle in 2018 and they don't carry much. On the bright side I live about 90 miles from Grafs & Sons.

jorg0370
12-29-2020, 01:37 PM
We need more options for supply, not fewer. I do not approve of this buy-out, not that anyone asked me.

navyvet
12-29-2020, 02:52 PM
I thought I was the only one that disliked Bass Pro. Guess I'm in good company here.

Burnt Fingers
12-29-2020, 04:18 PM
And I thought that SW had just won one of the smaller divisions of the Remington sale. Hope the BP model takes a while to change the 2 local stores as it killed the Cabelas. Spokane lost The White Elephant this year a long time sporting store due to aging family owners and the covid thing, with this change there is limited LGS [<5] and most do not sell reloading supplies. The only independent local big store is Black Sheep in CdA and they are trying to be some thing for every one instead of the gun, fish, army surplus that they started as 40+ years ago.
Shaune509

I believe you're thinking of Sportsman's Guide. They got Tapco.

2A-Jay
12-29-2020, 04:42 PM
Sportsman's Warehouse is the closest store to me that sells reloading components and equipment it is a 140 mile round trip. And when I check the instore inventory for bullets, powders, or Primers "OUT OF STOCK!". Good thing I have 3 packs of SPP and 2 packs LRP left. Smokeless Powders I am good with, BP Subs , Musket Caps and .490 RB and .50cal Conicals are plentiful in my Safe as well. So I can weather the storm for a while. I have enough ammo Modern Ammo (Reloaded) to last a very long time.

Jedman
12-29-2020, 07:42 PM
I had a bad experience earlier this year with Cabelas and wount be buying anything from them anymore. I found a antique rolling block shotgun at Cabelas gun Library that was at their store near Cincinnati OH and I called them gave them my credit card number and they were suppose to ship it to a Bass Pro store that’s near me also in OH. The Bass Pro store was suppose to call me as soon as they received it and I thought within 3 days being it’s in the same state it was shipped from.
On the fourth day I called them asking about the gun and they knew nothing of it. So I called the Cabelas store and got sort of a run around but someone finally told me it was never shipped and that this person would make sure it went out the next day for sure.
Well I waited a couple more days and called again because they were suppose to send me the tracking that I never received. Again the run around between several employees and again I found out it had not been sent out.
I was told a third time that the gun would go out the next day for sure.

Sadly on the 11 th day since I paid for the gun I called and asked to speak to the manager about my problem.. I had to wait for several hours for a call back and the manager was very apologetic but didn’t have any good reason the gun was still sitting at their store and had not been shipped"
I told him I could have walked to the store and back home in 11 days and I really wanted that gun bad but told him he might as well keep it because I was done with Cabelas.

Jedman

Rick R
12-29-2020, 08:31 PM
Locally most LGS have been run out of business by government regulations, the Trump Slump, Cabelas and Walmart. Cabelas was on the downward slide before being purchased by the company that owns BPS and seems to have accelerated. To be honest Bass Pro isn’t what it used to be.
I had hopes for SW as they were the only competition around but apparently they have been absorbed.
I never thought I’d be glad to get old...

mtgrs737
12-29-2020, 11:06 PM
I don't know if any of you guys have been in a Shields store or not. They have a lot of stuff in the three or four I have been to, but that was a couple of years ago now. The closest to me is in Kansas City but there are a few in Iowa and other northern states as they are a four season outdoor sports company. The stores I have been in had a lot of guns at reasonable prices and a decent amount of reloading gear and supplies, but that was a couple of years ago. I would bet if someone would impress upon the store manager what is going on with the other big box sports stores they might look into becoming a decent reloading supply store. Just a thought.

jonp
12-30-2020, 09:29 AM
The Redhead line at Bass Pro used to be very good I have a pair of insulated GorTex leather boots that are 20yrs old or so. Now, just looks like run of the mill stuff. I did notice a big increase in fishing gear at Cabela's when Bass bought them. Wife used her Cabela Points to get me a wireless gamecam for Christmas but when the points are gone she is cancelling the card.

Burnt Fingers
12-30-2020, 01:02 PM
I don't know if any of you guys have been in a Shields store or not. They have a lot of stuff in the three or four I have been to, but that was a couple of years ago now. The closest to me is in Kansas City but there are a few in Iowa and other northern states as they are a four season outdoor sports company. The stores I have been in had a lot of guns at reasonable prices and a decent amount of reloading gear and supplies, but that was a couple of years ago. I would bet if someone would impress upon the store manager what is going on with the other big box sports stores they might look into becoming a decent reloading supply store. Just a thought.

Shields or Scheel's?

There's a Scheels in the DFW area now. Very impressive store.

Texas by God
12-30-2020, 04:17 PM
Where at, Burnt Fingers?
Hopefully closer to the FWside of DFW?

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Burnt Fingers
12-31-2020, 01:51 PM
Where at, Burnt Fingers?
Hopefully closer to the FWside of DFW?

The Billion dollar mile up in The Colony.

Texas by God
12-31-2020, 03:24 PM
The Billion dollar mile up in The Colony.Thanks, I will not journey there. Frisco/Mckinney/Plano- I think there is a billion people there[emoji16]

Handloader109
01-01-2021, 11:31 AM
I thought I was the only one that disliked Bass Pro. Guess I'm in good company here.

Not by far..... I made the mistake of buying a Cabelas SCUT (sub compact tractor) from the about 3 months before they sold out to BP. I had a 24 month bumper to bumper warranty and 60month engine tranny warranty. Cabelas had a dedicated mechanic to their tractors and they were only about 12 miles from me. They sold off the repair facility to their contract boat repair company, no one works on a tractor any more and they refused to honor the warranty. I did get a replacement gas tank (plastic and it had split at top) just before they sold off the repair facility. They took a pretty good company and destroyed it in my opinion. I don't buy anything from them..... Clothes are way more junk than Cabelas brand....

Conditor22
01-01-2021, 01:51 PM
Never liked BP, Cabellas lost me when they started price gauging. When SW got primers in they stayed with the original price. -- sorry to see them go

A least we have a couple of farm and garden stores with decent reloading sections and BiMart

Bmi48219
01-01-2021, 03:05 PM
Facts are facts. Big Corporate owned ‘Sporting Goods’ chains are profit driven and media sensitive. Their public relations managers can’t sleep worrying about the media tracing a murderous firearm back to their stores. The media is anti-firearm and corporations don’t want that kind of publicity.
Add to that we reloaders are not a big consumer group like fishermen. Why risk exposure for a small segment of they buying public when you can make good money selling Yeti and Nike.
Bass Pro is way over-priced on components. I haven’t been in a Cabelas in 10 years. My guess in neither will sell firearms related merchandise five years from now.
I’m not a conspiracy theorist but less stores selling guns, ammo & components limits gun ownership too.

frankmako
01-03-2021, 10:28 PM
the sportmans warehouse in my area has turned sad in the reloading department. no primers, powder, or bullets to be found for months. ammo is about the same. no ammo in the major three calibers, 22lr, 9mm, 5.56. if you want shoes, hats and t-shirts it is the store for you. just like bass pro and cabela's. when the buy out is done the prices will jump 30%.

murf205
01-04-2021, 10:37 PM
Look at the bright side fellows. If we need a $25.00 Stren baseball cap or a $35 NASCAR tee shirt there will be a place closer by to grab one.

Yeah, and the shirt will be marked XL but a 12 yr old couldn't get it on. I have quit going to BP and when they bought Cabelas, their clothing went to pot too. The reloading supplies were retail ++ and now I'm afraid that Johnny Morris will poison another brand, IMO.

Burnt Fingers
01-05-2021, 11:17 AM
the sportmans warehouse in my area has turned sad in the reloading department. no primers, powder, or bullets to be found for months. ammo is about the same. no ammo in the major three calibers, 22lr, 9mm, 5.56. if you want shoes, hats and t-shirts it is the store for you. just like bass pro and cabela's. when the buy out is done the prices will jump 30%.

It's not just your local store that's out of primers, powder, bullets, and ammo. It's everywhere.

Maybe you slept through 2020?

MOA
01-05-2021, 12:03 PM
They just want to cutout the competition, crank up the prices, bring in more crap from Asia. I like many others quit BP and then Cabelas. Guess sportsman is the next to cross off my list now. Everyone might start thinking about aquiring primers wherever and whenever they can and start working on making your own black. I'd at least try hard to pick up percussion caps and a couple of BP revolvers and the supplies to load and shoot. Just saying.

1eyedjack
01-05-2021, 05:10 PM
Being the oddball I did like Cabelas - they had decent prices & stock on hand , veteran discount & points on their visa credit card, supported the NRA - renew & get $25 in points, store was well lit ( I like to be able to read labels & price tags ) . The sign says Bass Pro out front now & I seldom darken their doorstep - worst excuse for a sporting goods store IMHO !!!

MUSTANG
01-05-2021, 05:16 PM
Being the oddball I did like Cabelas - they had decent prices & stock on hand , veteran discount & points on their visa credit card, supported the NRA - renew & get $25 in points, store was well lit ( I like to be able to read labels & price tags ) . The sign says Bass Pro out front now & I seldom darken their doorstep - worst excuse for a sporting goods store IMHO !!!

The problem with "Sporting Goods Stores" is that they inevitable DEVOLVE to a what's currently cool clothes store.

405grain
01-05-2021, 06:11 PM
I never liked BP. Their prices were really high, and their service was really low. I usually shopped for my reloading supplies at Sportsman's because they had better selection, better prices, and nicer people. Once I got a $40 gift card from Bass Pro as a present. I don't usually shop there, but what the heck, it's a gift card. I got some supplied for reloading 357 mag. Not only did they charge me full price, but the guy behind the counter swiped the card through the register and charger me $40 extra on top of that. I'd paid with my ATM and wasn't paying attention. By the time I saw the charge on my bank statement I'd long ago tossed out the receipt with the shopping bag. Now I find out that the worst outdoor store in the universe has bought out one of the best, so they can drag it down the toilet. Looks like I'll be buying all my reloading supplies online from now on.

LabGuy
01-05-2021, 10:15 PM
I’m old. I used to love BP when they were mail order. Once they went brick and mortar, and increased prices, not so much. Same for Cabelas. I used to buy fishing stuff from BP, reloading from Cabelas. I have always enjoyed SW, and tried to spend a few bucks at one whenever Iwas going by.

richhodg66
01-06-2021, 07:39 AM
About the only reason I ever went into a Cabelas was to look at the used gun rack. The Wichita one seems to have stopped selling used ones altogether and the Kansas City one has scaled way back as of last time I was in there. Not much else I want I can't find elsewhere cheaper.

I do enjoy the aquariums, I could probably waste an hour in there just watching the fish.

frankmako
01-07-2021, 12:18 AM
no i did not sleep. the sportman's warehouse is sad. but we have a local ammo maker that has everything except primers. they ran out of store primers in november. now they use the primers to make ammo for the store only. but lots of pistols, rifles, 9mm, 5.56, powder, bullets, and reloading items. they have not up their prices on anything. got 8 pounds of auto pistol last week for $136.00.

Urny
01-09-2021, 04:17 PM
Bah humbug. Maybe Uncle Larry Potterfield needs to open a few retail stores.