PDA

View Full Version : Desert Eagle .44 mag

snowwolfe
12-27-2020, 07:16 PM
Been reading about these lately and watching some YouTube videos. Most people like and enjoy shooting them. Seems the weight and design helps tame the recoil. Thinking of buying one just for fun and maybe short range deer hunting. If you have any personal experience with one would appreciate hearing about it.

onelight
12-27-2020, 07:26 PM
I have not shot one but they must be great for concealed carry I see them all the time on tv and movies :)

Tatume
12-27-2020, 07:29 PM
I've looked at them on and off over the years. Each time I remember that I have to chase brass and that cools me. So, I'm not someone "with any personal experience with one." Sorry.

Moleman-
12-27-2020, 07:37 PM
The ones I've shot were accurate, but suffered from a really poor trigger next to a S&W. If you have smaller hands it's a bit of a handful and it seemed to flip more than kick next to a S&W.

DocSavage
12-27-2020, 07:38 PM
Had one ages ago this is a huge,heavy pistol recoil is tamed considerately. Finding brass wasn't that hard but this isn't a pistol for cast bullets as the will foul the gas system.

Stephen Cohen
12-27-2020, 07:53 PM
A good mat of mine had one and was told never shoot cast in it, a few years before he passed he worked up a full cast load for it and I got to shoot it. I have to say it was a pleasure to shoot and recoil was way softer than my Blackhawk Hunter with &'' barrel. If only I could own one now and hunt with it as the accuracy was outstanding. Regards Stephen

Minerat
12-27-2020, 09:02 PM
I have one in 50AE. That is quite a bit different beast then a 44. Mine ejects straight over your head, recoil is substantial but pushing a 336 gr bullet at 1600 fps in a handgun can be that way. I have not shot cast in it but only because I haven't found the boolit I want for it yet. I have researched it and find that PC will likely prevent the leading of the gas system. Just use search and you will find discussions on them.

500Smith
12-27-2020, 09:26 PM
I've had the 357, 44 & 50. Very cool but for me disappointing on the accuracy side. Really tried on the 44 but at 25 yards my 6" S&W 29 would out shoot it all day.

If you want an attention getter the 50 has few equals. It is one bad hombre.

tai95
12-27-2020, 09:27 PM
I have the .357 version currently. Living behind enemy lines in NY, when I wanted one the .357 was the only version available that was NY legal. It's probably one of my least used pistols. Mine had a spur on the feed ramp that caused me tons of headaches from the start. Once that was resolved it still is the most ammo specific gun I own. If there isn't a nice roll crimp on the lead it's gonna stovepipe every shot. Thankfully I have a wheel gun that isn't picky at all. The sites are also about useless. I would rather have a soldered BB on the slide than the black on black sites they have. I solved that by adding a leupold delta point.

In the end it does draw a crowd at the range, but other than for show it's an expensive paperweight.

dtknowles
12-27-2020, 10:22 PM
I want either a AutoMag, Desert Eagle, Wildey, or LAR Grizzly, in either 357, 44 or 45. I really think I should get them all. All together they would cost about the same as my Barrett M-82A1 and cost less to shoot. The only big handgun I have is a Dan Wesson SuperMag in .357 Max. I started out preferring semiauto pistols. I now appreciate revolvers but still love semiauto's. I think the AutoMag is the most awesome pistol. Kind of like a SS Ruger MKII on steroids. I would love one in .357 AutoMag. being recoil action cast bullets would not be a problem. The LAR Grizzly is probably the best choice also recoil action and based on 1911 a wealth of knowledge on how to make it run is available. I am not a big fan of the Desert Eagle, it is Imported, rather made in the U.S.A.

Tim

snowwolfe
12-27-2020, 10:59 PM
I want either a AutoMag, Desert Eagle, Wildey, or LAR Grizzly, in either 357, 44 or 45. I really think I should get them all. All together they would cost about the same as my Barrett M-82A1 and cost less to shoot. The only big handgun I have is a Dan Wesson SuperMag in .357 Max. I started out preferring semiauto pistols. I now appreciate revolvers but still love semiauto's. I think the AutoMag is the most awesome pistol. Kind of like a SS Ruger MKII on steroids. I would love one in .357 AutoMag. being recoil action cast bullets would not be a problem. The LAR Grizzly is probably the best choice also recoil action and based on 1911 a wealth of knowledge on how to make it run is available. I am not a big fan of the Desert Eagle, it is Imported, rather made in the U.S.A.

Tim

The Desert Eagle had been made in the USA since 2009.

Cargo
12-27-2020, 11:11 PM
All things considered, I'd much rather have a Redhawk, Super Blackhawk or S&W 69. They're...OK. Probably the handgun equivalent to the Mossberg Shockwave, too big to be a pistol and too small to be a shotgun lol.

Make sure it fits your hand before you throw that money down.

rockrat
12-27-2020, 11:50 PM
Have a DE in 44 for about 32 years now. Shot it quite a bit in the early years. Big gun tamed the recoil. Its a big gun, barely fit my hand, if that. Shot cast thru it, before there was a warning not to. Maybe 50 rounds before I quit. Always wondered if you could shoot some cast , then jacketed, to clean out the gas system. Kind of like shooting 22's thru a 223 suppressor, then shooting 223 thru it to "blow it out". Wonder about powder coating boolits.
Trigger is lousy, just like my 357 DE. 44 eats just about everything I tried, the 357 is picky. It will eject just fine, but feeding is iffy. When I moved here, neighbor invited me to a pistol shoot at a local range.. Only semi I had besides a 22lr was the DE. I was doing pretty good with the DE till the "boss" came out and about turned white when he saw what I was shooting. Told me I couldn't shoot that thing. Told him I was told to bring what I had and thats all I had. One fellow said "he was beating us, good thing you stopped him". The 44 was a bit tough on his targets. He didn't yell at me, just patiently explained why it wasn't allowed.

dtknowles
12-28-2020, 12:01 AM
The Desert Eagle had been made in the USA since 2009.

You sure, can you provide a source? Not saying you are wrong, just want to be sure. I thought they were made by IMI. I see that they are now marked Made in the U.S.A. and Pillager MN but what work is done in the U.S.A? I guess I really don't care that much. Being imported was not a big deal just a little one.

Tim

dtknowles
12-28-2020, 12:04 AM
If I wanted just any cannon I would go with a Smith and Wesson X frame or a Magnum Research BFR but I like semi autos.

Tim

Minerat
12-28-2020, 12:06 AM
I have a SBH in 44 and a SRH in 454. The DE is fun to shoot but the other 2 are for harvesting.

Led
12-28-2020, 12:30 AM
I had a Mark VII in .44 years ago. Big, shiny and fun to show off. Not practical at all and I was hit in the face with brass more than once. It is a "Movie Gun."

Later,
Stephen

Texas by God
12-28-2020, 01:00 AM
I keep a .50 AE Desert Eagle in the safe for my traveling nephew. Well built, accurate, stupid heavy,....and the first fired brass cut a gash in my forehead...so I tilted my head to finish the magazine.
Like the FiveSeveN he also has, other folks like them but I dont.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

tigweldit
12-28-2020, 01:06 AM
I bought a .41 mag DE new about 25 years ago. I ordered it with Millet sights. Upgraded the trigger later (the stock one was rough and heavy). Also upgraded the grips. With 210 JHC and a full load of 296, it shoots 2" at 30 yards. I have large hands so the grip is not a problem for me. Recoil is moderate. My wife loves to shoot it. It is heavy, so concealed carry is out. With a substantial holster, field carry is good. Shooting in low light or a darkened range is a hoot. Quite the light show! If you ever get the chance, try one out. I really like mine, it lives in the "Don't sell, Don't trade" section of the safe.

FLINTNFIRE
12-28-2020, 01:13 AM
I have owned 3 , all in 44mag and have fired one in 357 mag , all shot well , just felt big and awkward , I shot cast in one of mine as it was what I had , never had issues with gas system , had a outers foul out unit back in that time frame to .

AndyC
12-28-2020, 01:13 AM
I want either a AutoMag, Desert Eagle, Wildey, or LAR Grizzly, in either 357, 44 or 45. I really think I should get them all.
You should ;)

I have an AutoMag (and another on the way soon) and I'd love a Grizzly too. The Wildey I wasn't impressed by - very clunky, unlike the AutoMag.

Evoken
12-28-2020, 06:47 AM
Mine is big, heavy, and shiney. Would work well as a club if I run out of ammo, haha.
I have an older mark7, 44. It can be ammo picky, and you had better have a good grip on it. I've had several people try to shoot it with failure to feed due to limp wristing. Mine is very accurate.

snowwolfe
12-28-2020, 09:28 AM
You sure, can you provide a source? Not saying you are wrong, just want to be sure. I thought they were made by IMI. I see that they are now marked Made in the U.S.A. and Pillager MN but what work is done in the U.S.A? I guess I really don't care that much. Being imported was not a big deal just a little one.

Tim

Try this hard to do task. Simply type in your browser:
“Where is the Desert Eagle made”.

This is what I did to arrive at what I posted. You could call the factory if you liked and talk to them to make sure. For me, it’s not a deal breaker as to where it’s made.

leadeye
12-29-2020, 01:02 PM
I had one and sold it, like others have said, while it was fun to shoot it wasn't quite as accurate as either my Ruger or Smith. On the other had I bought earlier, and still own one of the first DE pistols in .357. This gun is very accurate and can really be loaded up.

snowwolfe
12-31-2020, 05:25 PM
Found this video:
https://youtu.be/4G_XSEmWr1o

snowwolfe
01-01-2021, 01:02 PM
The 44 seems to be a puzzy cat in this pistol. Any members fire a 50AE with the built in compensator? How does it compare to the 44?

BKS
01-01-2021, 02:12 PM
I have a .50AE that I sent back for the add on compensator they offered. It’s held on by three screws into the end of the barrel. It helps, the comp part and the extra lb of steel on the end. I’m trying to upload a picture. 274405

snowwolfe
01-01-2021, 02:27 PM
Nice to know they can add it later. Do you remember what they charged?

ebner glocken
01-01-2021, 02:52 PM
I own two of them, one in 41 and the other in 50AE. This is not the pistol I would recommend to anyone for their first handgun or perhaps their tenth. It's unique, this is my sole justification for owning them and it didn't hurt that I found them for a really good price. It is possible to incorrectly assemble them from field stripping and they will still work although it will cause flowering on the recoil spring assembly, this will cause malfunctioning later. This is why I bought the 41 for the price I did. A few swipes with a mill file and it quickly became worth much more.

The trigger does take some getting used to, the sights can be hard to see (can be fixed with cheap fingernail polish). You can shoot cast in them using powder coating (disclaimer, make sure the coating is bonded well and not just painted on, cast them hard). I weighs 72 oz empty and physically big to boot. It can eject them right directly over your head unless you have a very firm hold, a light hold will most likely get you hit in the forehead. If you're into light charges of fast burning powder you will hate this gun. If you like to sandbag it with the magazine dug into the bag with pressure it will jam, the magazine is designed to float. If you don't reload stick with federal american eagle ammo and it will most likely work. If you do decide to shoot unprotected soft lead save yourself some time and buy an ultrasonic cleaner (this is why I got a good deal on the 50). There's a whole paragraph of negatives for a 1K+ pistol.

Once you are willing to deal with the above they are very accurate and reliable within the limits. They have a certain fun factor in their own niche. I think most of us here have certain guns that can't be justified with anything other than that.

Ebner

onelight
01-01-2021, 04:31 PM
They have a certain fun factor in their own niche. I think most of us here have certain guns that can't be justified with anything other than that.

Ebner
Ain't that the truth , I quit trying to justify some of my stuff along time ago :)

snowwolfe
01-01-2021, 08:24 PM
Justify? That word is not in my vocabulary when it comes to guns. A Desert Eagle would serve no earthly purpose to me other than to make me smile. But the more I research these the more inclined I am to buy one in 50AE than 44mag. Waiting to hear back from Starline when they expect the 50AE brass back in stock.

BKS
01-01-2021, 10:52 PM
Nice to know they can add it later. Do you remember what they charged?
I want to say it was around 200.00 but I’m not sure.

It’s not a useful handgun but I’m gonna hold on to mine for a while.

Wild Bill 7
01-01-2021, 11:32 PM
I have owned two, 44 mag and 357 mag. Both were heavy but fun to shoot. Wife liked to shoot the 357 and what a flame out of them in late afternoon. The misses had some health issues down the road they went. Never really tried sighting in but they good to 25 yards. Because they were heavy recoil was minimal even with heavy loads.

Babbott213
01-04-2021, 01:52 AM
I have not shot one but they must be great for concealed carry I see them all the time on tv and movies :)

I typically open carry mine. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210104/d6bdfe781845bf53a1e9514415ab00c7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Babbott213
01-04-2021, 02:05 AM
Snowwolfe, I bought my first one back around 1999 and then bought my second around 2012. Both in .44mag. You could hunt with one, but I’d recommend a good red dot or good pistol scope. Both of mine have the six inch barrels.

One thing is, if I want to go to the 50AE, all I have to do is buy the barrel and magazine for the 50AE and I’m all set.

I wouldn’t suggest you to shoot in low light conditions though as you’ll probably be seeing spots for awhile as the flame is quite intense. And they are picky on ammo. You need a good hot load in order for the gas system to work correctly.

My first one I had a heck of a time finding ammo that would run through it. Now I load my own, so that’s not a problem now. But I only run jacketed rounds. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210104/d733378e234c8a67fb1e7741a9d95645.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snowwolfe
01-04-2021, 12:27 PM
Appreciate all the information. Since I been watching these on Gunbrokers noticed they sell pretty fast. Even though I have a ton of 44 mag components decided to go with the 50 AE. Sort of like, go big or go home, lol. Besides, I can always change it to a 44 or 357 if the mood strikes.
Today I purchased a 50AE in brushed chrome. Should be here in a week or so. Components.........that might take 2-3 months to round up.

onelight
01-04-2021, 02:21 PM
Great choice , if I was going to get that big rascal I would go 50AE if your gonna go big GO BIG :)

mattw
01-04-2021, 04:24 PM
I have a very old one in 41 mag, I love it. It is not quite as accurate as my 657's but is acceptable. The recoil is really tame. I roll my own in PC cast and jacketed. I would not run bare lead bullets, but have many powder coated rounds down the tube with no issues. I have smaller guy hands, but can control and fire it.

BKS
01-05-2021, 02:06 AM
Shot mine some more yesterday. It’s just a fun gun. Congrats on your purchase.

ko41
01-06-2021, 10:37 AM
They are fun:bigsmyl2: I get excellent accuracy with my .41 Magnum using 210gr JHP with AA No.9 or H110.
The few years that I did an some USPSA matches I'd take the Desert Eagle out for some fun once in a while. Starting 3:18 I was having issues with the gun on the first stage but after lubing it up good at 5:07 the DE is running right.

https://youtu.be/dzIeGlBondU?t=307

KO

snowwolfe
01-22-2021, 08:16 PM
Finally had the time to pick it up at my dealer. Was waiting for a second gun to arrive so I could kill two birds with one stone. The other was a Redhawk 4 inch 45 Colt. Now I will keep my eyes peeled on a good bargain on a 44 mag version. Fit and finish of the DE is excellent. Trigger is light but has some creep. Here is a photo of the Desert Eagle in the brushed chrome finish. Rotated the photo several times and it always posts upside down.

Bigslug
01-23-2021, 04:10 PM
Sounds like you're well on your way.

Having been in the gun trade in one form or another since '92, I've been exposed to a few of them. Can't argue with the quality of build, but could never really latch on to whatever they were thinking of for operating concept, unless it was just "Cool movie gun to impress viewers who don't understand the practical uses of guns". It's basically a "horse pistol" like the Walker Colt or the Lemat revolvers - too darn big and heavy for portability without your horse or other vehicle to carry it for you. The repeating carbine pretty much rendered that concept extinct in the 1860's. The DE's are fun, and everybody should get to shoot one once for giggles, but I have a hard time regarding them as any kind of functional tool, but if it's giggles you seek, then giggle on.

dtknowles
01-23-2021, 05:20 PM

Having been in the gun trade in one form or another since '92, I've been exposed to a few of them. Can't argue with the quality of build, but could never really latch on to whatever they were thinking of for operating concept, unless it was just "Cool movie gun to impress viewers who don't understand the practical uses of guns". It's basically a "horse pistol" like the Walker Colt or the Lemat revolvers - too darn big and heavy for portability without your horse or other vehicle to carry it for you. The repeating carbine pretty much rendered that concept extinct in the 1860's. The DE's are fun, and everybody should get to shoot one once for giggles, but I have a hard time regarding them as any kind of functional tool, but if it's giggles you seek, then giggle on.

Compare to other pistols/revolvers of similar power. They are all too big and heavy for easy portability but still there is a pelthora of big handguns. The Desert Eagle is not that much heavier than the Ruger Super Redhawk, holds more rounds and is thinner. I would still rather have an AutoMag.

Tim

Rockindaddy
01-23-2021, 05:41 PM
Always wanted a Desert Eagle 44 Mag Bought an LAR Grizzley when they first came out because I cast my own bullets. The LAR is recoil operated. Easy gun to shoot. Wheel guns have more recoil! The Eagle has a gas system. Figured I would foul the gas system with lead and bullet lube. The only problem with these big magnums is the brass flies everywhere. Hard to retrieve the brass! Still like my Colt Annaconda and Colt clone 44 mag! Anyone out there shoot cast boolits in their 44 Eagle?

Rockindaddy
01-23-2021, 05:45 PM
Hey Gunner Tim:
Show us a photo of the Auto Mag! Not familiar with one! Do they eat cast boolits???
Regards,
Charlie

dtknowles
01-24-2021, 01:54 AM
Hey Gunner Tim:
Show us a photo of the Auto Mag! Not familiar with one! Do they eat cast boolits???
Regards,
Charlie

Actually there are two automags one the Automag IV is like an overgrown 1911 like the LAR Grissly and then there is the original Automag that looks like an overgrown Ruger .22 auto. That is the one I want. There is a thread here

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?413112-First-5-new-production-44-Automags-shipped

About the Automag being back in production.

Yes, they eat cast boolits.

Tim

dtknowles
01-24-2021, 02:00 AM
This is the Auto Mag IV

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/automag-iv-a-browning-in-45-winchester-magnum/

No longer in production but will eat cast boolits.

I had an Auto Mag II in .22 Mag. Sold it because it was not as accurate as I had expected. High Standard still makes or did still make the Auto Mag. II.

Tim

snowwolfe
01-24-2021, 12:29 PM

Functional tool has never entered my mind. Its for pure fun and "giggles" as you say. But I still want to shoot a whitetail with it from our deer blind. Going to keep my eye out for a used one in 44 mag. I long ago gave up trying to justify any of my gun purchases to the wife, friends, online buddies, etc. I am going to have fun and enjoy life until I cant.

AndyC
01-26-2021, 01:21 PM
Hey Gunner Tim:
Regards,
Charlie
Mine:

https://i.imgur.com/tvkOUWG.jpg

I wish the Hogue grips were made in black, but I have some Rit dye arriving today...

root
01-27-2021, 08:15 AM
A automatic or DE 44 or 50 are my next my next in a month of week from now.
Still owe 200 on my 454 I just bought.

I haven't shot either but did hold the DE and if was no different then my g 21/20 possibly my a bit slimmer.
Not so large it was a turn off.

Duckiller
01-29-2021, 07:24 PM
#2 son saw the photo of the DE being fired in low light and got one in 44Mag. They are fun to shoot, but are two handed guns. Fired when held with one hand and you may hit your back. Two handed they are very controllable. Son's gun did not throw brass that far.