PDA

View Full Version : Good reference for S & W revolvers

hc18flyer
12-27-2020, 12:43 PM
I Hope to buy a .38 revolver next year. Thinking I want a 4" with adjustable rear sight, just to carry and plink with in the field. I have large hands, so grip frame may be a concern. Is there a good reference out there for me to research?
Thanks, Tom

243winxb
12-27-2020, 12:48 PM
A 357 magnum will shoot 38 specials. So buy a 357 Mag. Look for target grips for it. Research- https://www.smith-wesson.com/revolvers

This model is a good one. https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/model-19?sku=12040 Model 19 with 4" barrel, K frame, not to heavy. Has target grips.

contender1
12-27-2020, 01:13 PM
Well, I with the admission of "large hands," I'd look at the revolvers in .357 mag caliber. You can always use .38's. The frames will be bigger,, and you have the ability to use more types of ammo.
Plus,, if you have larger hands,, I'd look at Target grips,, or aftermarket grips to fit YOU!

As for a reference guide,, to S&W's Roy Jinks published an excellent book on S&W,, but I doubt it'd be what you are seeking.

Der Gebirgsjager
12-27-2020, 01:38 PM
There are a lot of reference books out there about S&W revolvers, but your question seems more about what's right for a large hand. Think "N" Frame. But, oversized grips are available from several grip manufacturers that will adapt most revolvers for a large hand. The most common is probably Pachmayr.

DG

Norske
12-27-2020, 01:43 PM
My Model 19 S&W will last almost forever if I use it with 39 Specials. However, the original owner shot 357 Magnums and the high velocity 125gr HP loads split the rear end of the barrel. The N or L frame S&W revolvers don't have the thin flat at the rear of their barrels, so will be much more durable.

bangerjim
12-27-2020, 02:47 PM
I have S&W 357's and they are GREAT with all 38SP and 357MAG rounds. 7" barrels on mine. Nice piece of solid gun! Extremely accurate at distances.

hc18flyer
12-27-2020, 03:10 PM
I have a Ruger .45 Colt in the large .44 frame with a 7 1/2" barrel to hunt with, but a lot of gun to carry on your hip. Thinking a .38 Special would be a little lighter than .357 and maybe a little cheaper? Thank you for your comments, Tom

onelight
12-27-2020, 03:15 PM
I have a Ruger .45 Colt in the large .44 frame with a 7 1/2" barrel to hunt with, but a lot of gun to carry on your hip. Thinking a .38 Special would be a little lighter than .357 and maybe a little cheaper? Thank you for your comments, Tom
Sounds like what the model 19 was made for shoot with 38s and carry 357s

oldsalt444
12-27-2020, 03:22 PM
S&W model 15, which is a 4" similar to the famous model 10 with target sights. Put the larger target grips on it. It'll handle 38 +P.

El Bibliotecario
12-27-2020, 03:56 PM
Supica and Nahas STD CATALOG OF S&W lists virtually every model made.
My suggestion would be to look at used revolvers. In my highly biased opinion pre 2000 S&Ws are the equal in every respect to the overpriced current production models and are aesthetically more pleasing.

TNsailorman
12-27-2020, 04:26 PM
S&W Models 10, 15 & 19 are all K frame's. They are about optimum for a carry/use revolver. If you feel more comfortable with the extra power, go with the 19 or find a model 13 or 65 (same thing as a 19 but in stainless). Just do not shoot a lot of Plus P in a K frame, your just asking for trouble as mentioned previously. S&W went to the L frame for a reason. I have Model 15's and a 3 inch model 13. I love them. james

Texas by God
12-27-2020, 05:08 PM
S&W model 15, which is a 4" similar to the famous model 10 with target sights. Put the larger target grips on it. It'll handle 38 +P.My pick as well, or the m67 if you prefer stainless. IMO the perfect .38 Special revolvers.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201227/0ddbbeb99b7b04358507ba62c499e823.jpg

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

243winxb
12-27-2020, 05:22 PM
SKU 162430
Model Model 60 3"
Caliber 357 Magnum, 38 S&W SPECIAL +P
Capacity 5
Length 7.5
Front Sight Black Blade
Rear Sight Adjustable
Action Single/Double Action
Grip Synthetic
Cylinder Material Stainless Steel
Barrel Material Stainless Steel
Frame Material Stainless Steel
Frame Finish Satin Stainless
Barrel Length 3" (7.6 cm)
Weight 23.2 oz.

El Bibliotecario
12-27-2020, 06:28 PM
My pick as well, or the m67 if you prefer stainless. IMO the perfect .38 Special revolvers.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201227/0ddbbeb99b7b04358507ba62c499e823.jpg

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

In my opinion either of these weapons will accomplish anything one could remotely expect from the .38 Special round. With handloading, their performance will cover a broad spectrum.

I am convinced Daniel Baird Wesson was in fact an extraterrestrial, in that his factory grips were never meant for human hands. The target grips look nifty, but are flared at the bottom, making them like grasping the mouth of a trumpet. Happily there are many, many aftermarket grips, from inexpensive rubber to pricier custom premium wood. An inexpensive improvement to the standard service grip is adding a Tyler T grip, or equivilant by BK, or an old Mershon adapter. Some swear by 'em, although in fairness others swear at 'em.

murf205
12-27-2020, 07:51 PM
I Hope to buy a .38 revolver next year. Thinking I want a 4" with adjustable rear sight, just to carry and plink with in the field. I have large hands, so grip frame may be a concern. Is there a good reference out there for me to research?
Thanks, Tom

How much $$ do you want to spend?

Mk42gunner
12-27-2020, 09:00 PM
S&W K and L frames have the exact same size grip, and some of the newer N frames well if I'm not mistaken. With that said, you can change the stocks to just about any size or material you want.

I have fairly large hands (size 10 glove), but the N frames just don't feel comfortable to me. A square butt K frame with service style stocks and a Tyler grip adapter suits me fine for .38 Special level recoil.

The best thing to do in my opinion, would be to go to a well stocked gun shop (if you can find one these days) or a gun show and pick up a few different revolvers to see what fits your hand.

If there is a rental gun range anywhere close, that is another option.

A 4" K frame or similar will carry a lot easier than anything larger. A Ruger Security Six will also fit most S&W K frame holsters, and be a bit stronger if rumors are true.

Good luck with your search,

Robert

tominboise
12-27-2020, 09:24 PM
I have and shoot many S&W and Ruger revolvers, in a variety of cartridges. With respect to a S&W reference, I'd suggest dropping in on the S&W forum. Many experts that can tell you everything you need to know and more regarding S&W products.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/forum.php

hc18flyer
12-27-2020, 10:13 PM
I was hoping to spend about $600, think that is reasonable? I started reading on the s& w forum today. Thank you for all your suggestions, Tom

murf205
12-27-2020, 10:43 PM
Tom, you might want to search the various dealers on the web and look for a police trade in. Probably will not have adjustable rear sight but fixed, as they are more durable for service revolvers. Most, if not all are K frame model 10 S&W's and some are heavy barreled models. They are usually not shot a lot but carried every day so the finish will be worn in the usual places. You could save a couple hundred dollars of the $600 you want to spend and buy an after market grips to suit your taste if you don't like the service stocks on the gun.

downzero
12-27-2020, 11:53 PM
I was hoping to spend about $600, think that is reasonable? I started reading on the s& w forum today. Thank you for all your suggestions, Tom

You can get your choice of used revolvers at that price point. I love my model 28 and I don't think it cost that much. Prices might be crazy now though, not sure.

12-28-2020, 12:01 AM
My Model 19 S&W will last almost forever if I use it with 39 Specials. However, the original owner shot 357 Magnums and the high velocity 125gr HP loads split the rear end of the barrel. The N or L frame S&W revolvers don't have the thin flat at the rear of their barrels, so will be much more durable.

“ 39 Specials”...is that like a .38 Special +P?....::D

onelight
12-28-2020, 12:02 AM
A lot of it for the K frames price depends on how nice you want it to look there are a lot them around with a lot of holster wear and many of these are in great operating condition.
Some that are worn on the outside can be had for a great price with a careful check of operating condition.

reddog81
12-28-2020, 12:23 AM

New or Used?
Stainless or Blue?

For $600 there are a handful of used options that'd work. For new S&W's there's not much that'll be that price.
The model 15 is probably the easiest to find in that price range in good condition. There are a variety of grip options out there that are interchangeable between the K and L frame guns.

tigweldit
12-28-2020, 01:55 AM
Smith or Ruger. Whatever feels good in the hand. 3"-5". .357 mag gives more ammo options. Stainless is a Lot easer to take care of. I like the looks of blued with fancy grips. I would only look at guns with adjustable sights.You should be able to find something you like for your budget. Remember, this will only be your first .38 wheel gun. They can be addictive.

Petander
12-28-2020, 04:21 PM
Here is a 4" 586-1 in my XXL hand. I find the gun well balanced and very comfortable.

https://i.postimg.cc/jdKGDDFf/IMG-20201228-220411-023.jpg

JoeJames
12-28-2020, 04:32 PM
Of all Smiths my favorites are the S&W Model 15 and the S&W Model 67. Four inch is the easiest to carry and in my opinion is the best all round barrel length. I can hit with a 3" but have to crunch down more to get the same accuracy as with a 4".

Green Frog
12-28-2020, 04:33 PM
Big question I still have is, do you want adjustable or non-adjustable sights? If non-adjustable, I’d go with the stainless K frame S&W (Model 65, I think) which is still pretty reasonably priced because so very many were issued to LEOs and many were carried much but shot relatively little. If adjustable sights are your preference, Model 66 or 686 would be my choice. The former if I planned to shoot primarily 38s, or the latter for a steady diet of Magnums.

I have average sized hands (and am getting old :???: ) so I find the N frame Models 27 & 627 too big and awkward, more so than needed for the 357. This has been my experience, YMMV.

When I first saw the title of your query, I thought you were looking for books and was going to suggest the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson for information about all the models and the Kuhnhausen book on revolver maintenance. These two books are excellent for most shooters’ use if interested in S&W.

Froggie

murf205
12-28-2020, 05:12 PM
You can get your choice of used revolvers at that price point. I love my model 28 and I don't think it cost that much. Prices might be crazy now though, not sure.

Let me assure you--prices are crazy and availability is scarce. When Model 27's started selling for $1200 and up, 28's went to $800 and up for a nice one. Buying a gun of any kind now takes more $ than it should.

downzero
12-28-2020, 05:51 PM
Let me assure you--prices are crazy and availability is scarce. When Model 27's started selling for $1200 and up, 28's went to $800 and up for a nice one. Buying a gun of any kind now takes more $ than it should.

It's funny you mention this, because one of my colleagues just came to my desk and told me he bought a 27 over the weekend in the rarest possible configuration for a price that'd shock you. He referred to it as his "theft." He did pay the gun store what they wished to have for it, and let me tell you, it was nowhere near $1200.

murf205
12-28-2020, 06:06 PM
If I could only have that kind of luck! In my area, they are expensive -IF-you can find one.

hc18flyer
12-28-2020, 08:59 PM
Froggie- I would like adjustable sights. I will check out the Model 66. And yes, I am looking for a S & W reference. My Gunsmith/LGS owner is retired State Patrol, I trust him to treat me fairly. hc18flyer
Petander- I really like the looks of your 586-1, be checking that model out too!

Wooserco
12-28-2020, 09:29 PM
Within the last month, I purchase a S&W Model 67-5 "Combat Masterpiece." I paid $749.99 plus sales tax. My wife's Model 10 snubby was the same price purchased two weeks earlier (had to stagger paychecks).

Mine has adjustable sights. Hers does not. However, the S&W's with fixed sights are calibrated to be POA with 158 grain loads.

murf205
12-28-2020, 09:34 PM
Tom, here is one of the best reference books on S&W guns I've found. It is a great read even if you are not a Smith and Wesson hound.274146

Bazoo
12-28-2020, 11:04 PM
586 and 686 are the same gun but blued and stainless. L frame 357. The 586 shown has magna grips on it. That's the name of smith and wesson large target grips.

Drm50
12-28-2020, 11:43 PM
I got a large bucket of S&Ws. All blue, P&R era adjustable sight models. Seems like a m15 with Target Grips is the short answer to OPs wants. M19 if 357 option is wanted. L frame next up ladder but extra weight and 357. N frame 28 and 27 are 357 and big guns just to carry for a 38sp. The m15 and m19 in 4” are common because of police issue. $600 will buy nice shooter. M28s service grade N frame have jumped $750 is nice shooter.

Cosmic_Charlie
12-29-2020, 07:59 AM
Have a look at Gunbroker. Once you learn to use the search and display filters you can view dozens of likely candidates and get a feel for pricing. I have gotten a couple good ones on "buy now" listings where the seller was obviously looking for cash flow.

Petander
12-29-2020, 11:45 AM
Froggie- I would like adjustable sights. I will check out the Model 66. And yes, I am looking for a S & W reference. My Gunsmith/LGS owner is retired State Patrol, I trust him to treat me fairly. hc18flyer
Petander- I really like the looks of your 586-1, be checking that model out too!

Here is a 2 1/2" barrel 66-4 in the same XXL hand:

https://i.postimg.cc/FHfrjzWQ/IMG-20201229-172230-714.jpg

Aftermarket grip from Philippines...

reddog81
12-31-2020, 02:01 AM
It's funny you mention this, because one of my colleagues just came to my desk and told me he bought a 27 over the weekend in the rarest possible configuration for a price that'd shock you. He referred to it as his "theft." He did pay the gun store what they wished to have for it, and let me tell you, it was nowhere near $1200.

OK... so what’s the rarest configuration and what’d he pay? Some shops don’t always price used stuff in a coherent manner.

VariableRecall
12-31-2020, 02:29 AM
I had recently purchased my first firearm, a S&W Model 10-5 K-Frame with a 4 inch pinned barrel in .38 Special. I got it off gunbroker for $450 (around $510 with tax/transfer fees), and it's in fantastic shape for its age, minus the holster wear. I was very lucky to get it at that internal condition and price, to be honest.

Much like you, I'd say my only mild gripe is that the stock grips are certainly meant for tiny people from the late 1800s that never ate their Wheaties. The military grips i got for it look gorgeous and print a lot less, but they aren't meant for large hands.
My Model 10 with its original grips/stocks:

My Model 10 with Military Grips:
However, a very easy fix for my hands at least was a set of Houge Monogrips for the K-frame of your choosing. It allows for it to point a lot better and makes double action a lot more comfortable.

My hands on the revolver for comparison.
I'd say that I couldn't be happier with my purchase overall.

hc18flyer
12-31-2020, 01:04 PM
VariableRecall - Thanks for your reply! I have been going back and forth on GB between m # 10 and 15(adjustable sights). I am also a little leary about buying an old revolver off GB? Glad you are happy with your purchase. Thanks for the pictures of the grips. Tom

Murphy
12-31-2020, 03:30 PM
I'm with JoeJames on this one. A Model 15 or Model 67 is the ticket. The Model 67 being stainless requires less maintenance of course. Not that it shouldn't be treated any differently than a blued one. The Model 15 Combat Masterpiece also has a renown reputation for accuracy. I figure the Model 67 to be the same. Regarding the grip size issue you're concerned with. Factory S&W grips aren't for everyone, nor are the smaller 'service style' grips. I've been told more than a few times I have ham sized fists. There are a plethora of after market grips out there. When I hear of folks needing a large pair of grips, Bill Jordan Troopers are the first thing that come to mind. Bill Jordan could palm a basket ball. One company (Pachmayr) used to make them out of a hard plastic. It may take a while to find a set, but if they don't fill your hand? Fella, you're going to have to have a set made by Herrett's company to fit you. Sadly, there aren't many gun shows going on these days. There would be a good place to start looking and being able to actually hold a set before purchasing them.

Murphy

hc18flyer
12-31-2020, 05:19 PM
Can someone explain why some are labeled 'pinned barrel' ? Thanks, Tom

murf205
12-31-2020, 05:47 PM
If you look on the top of the frame on an older Smith, you notice a "pin" across the width where the barrel threads into the frame. that was the method the factory used to capture the barrel during the days of total hand fitting their revolvers. For the 38 Special you said you were wanting, the fixed sight model 10 and the adjustable sight models 14 and 15, 19,66,67 and most all S&W revolvers had the pinned barrel feature eliminated in 1982. You will see the term "pinned and recessed" when browsing for a S&W revolver and the recessed part of that term refers to the rear of the cylinder being machined to allow the entire cartridge case rim to seat fully into the cylinder.

VariableRecall
12-31-2020, 06:23 PM
VariableRecall - Thanks for your reply! I have been going back and forth on GB between m # 10 and 15(adjustable sights). I am also a little leary about buying an old revolver off GB? Glad you are happy with your purchase. Thanks for the pictures of the grips. Tom

The only reason that I trusted the sale was that they actually managed to take multiple detailed photos of various places including the teeth on the cylinder (probably the wrong terminology.), which was a good indicator of the rest of its internals.

One thing that I was unable to see through the gunbroker listing is that the hammer nose probably was not stock. Actually, it managed to break during snap cap use and jammed the cylinder. Thank goodness that did not happen with live ammo!

Managed to find a fair gunsmith and get that fixed, but besides that it was the only issue I've had with it so far.

I went for the Model 10-5 that I have now because it had a pinned, small profile barrel and a similar set of markings and style to a Victory Model, minus the extreme value, piles of import marks, and the 4th screw, of course.

I had decided against adjustable sights since they weren't on any examples of the smaller profile barrel, and ones with target sights were a lot more expensive.

Overall I'd say I'm quite lucky that I didn't have to take a road trip across the US to find the revolver that suited my tastes for a fair price!

hc18flyer
12-31-2020, 08:58 PM
Thanks to all of you for answering my questions. I sincerely appreciate your help. I wish I could see and handle a couple of examples. There are a couple of model 15's on Gun Broker, but I am leery of 'taking a swing on GB. Tom

VariableRecall
12-31-2020, 11:13 PM
Thanks to all of you for answering my questions. I sincerely appreciate your help. I wish I could see and handle a couple of examples. There are a couple of model 15's on Gun Broker, but I am leery of 'taking a swing on GB. Tom

I'd say you should start with a less than trustful mindset on GB. Don't deal with anyone that won't respond promptly to questions or don't provide plenty of photos of the internals.

uscra112
01-01-2021, 12:15 AM
I'd say you should start with a less than trustful mindset on GB. Don't deal with anyone that won't respond promptly to questions or don't provide plenty of photos of the internals.

Amen, amen, AMEN. I've begun to think that many dealers put the poorer specimens in their inventory right onto Gunbroker, since buyers can't hold the gun in their hands and inspect. And collectors are unloading their less choice pieces to fund their next purchases. I do buy old guns on Gunbroker quite often, but I assume they're going to be gunsmithing projects, and bid accordingly. Never let yourself "take mental possession" of a piece before you decide what to bid. (Car salesmen are trained to guide the mark into the "mental possession" mindset before ever discussing price. Bern there, done that.)

Not that it matters, but IMHO a stainless .357 K frame would be my choice for field carry. 4" barrel OK, 6" much better. Stainless because there WILL come a moment when keeping the sidearm clean and dry will be far down the list of priorities in camp.

Petander
01-01-2021, 06:44 AM
Can someone explain why some are labeled 'pinned barrel' ? Thanks, Tom

The red arrow is trying to point at the pin. Green arrow shows the chamber recess where brass rim is supported.

Mod 28. The older I get,the less I change grips or alter guns... I have a mod 14 with skinny grips as well, I enjoy shooting it, won't change for "better" grips.

https://i.postimg.cc/SRHZZYRB/IMG-20210101-123545-147.jpg

uscra112
01-01-2021, 06:56 AM
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Fh3F6hufhDMWZiNjBkMWItZDhkNS00MTlhLWE4YzMtOTdmN 2YwNmY4NzM2/view?pref=2&pli=1

Jim March's treatise on checking out revolvers. All makes, including S&W. Posted ten years ago, but nothing's any different today.

Petander
01-03-2021, 02:34 PM
Would there be any reason to avoid a clean -82-88 mod 67-1 ?

It is the "no pin" era for 67-1. Just asking...

AZ Pete
01-03-2021, 02:41 PM
1982, deleted the pinned barrel, if you are buying a shooter and it passes your inspection and the price suits you, go for it

Petander
01-03-2021, 06:54 PM
1982, deleted the pinned barrel, if you are buying a shooter and it passes your inspection and the price suits you, go for it

Thanks for the reply,Pete.

Once again a thread here in Cast Boolits is becoming an enabler... I shoot quite a lot in winter and the snow gets everywhere. I only have one 38 Special chambered pistol and it's blue,mod 14 which I like a lot.

I much rather see a stainless gun get a little wet. I'm not soaking or neglecting them either but you know... a shop I frequent has just got a 67-1, I have never even handled one.

AZ Pete
01-03-2021, 08:21 PM
Petander, I have a model 18 that I bought at a very good price several years ago. It appeared unfired. I soon found that it had tight chambers and Winchester ammo, in particular, was difficult to eject. I shoot Federal .22 lr Auto Match in it the most and have no issues with ejection. I don't recall if there any brands other than Winchester that were hard to eject, and am pretty sure I have shot CCI std vel. Fiocchi and some others in the Model 18. It is a very accurate revolver, easily as accurate as my K-22 or Model 17.

Jtarm
01-03-2021, 09:36 PM
References don’t get any better than “The Standard Catalog Of Smith And Wesson”.

Current edition is the 4th.

I envy your big hands. I’m cursed with stubby fingers, but as long as you pick something larger than a J-frame, the stocks will be more important than the frame size.

Drm50
01-03-2021, 11:37 PM
I’ve got small hand but always shoot two handed SA anyway. I have a small hoarde of S&Ws.274605

sniper
01-03-2021, 11:58 PM
S&W models 60 3", model 19, 66, 586 or 686. All will shoot the .38Spl. in fine fashion!

Treetop
01-04-2021, 12:23 AM
I’ve got small hand but always shoot two handed SA anyway. I have a small hoard of S&Ws.274605

Nice picture, Drm50! I enlarged the picture and proceeded to drool all over my keyboard for the next few minutes. Treetop

Petander
01-04-2021, 11:57 AM
Well here is a 67-1 and my XL hand. I went to see the gun,this thread made me do it.

This is a nice,light and balanced gun with an excellent trigger. SA is match quality. 3585 throats,passes range rod test clean, timing lock-up is still right. No excessive slack etc. anywhere,I did not measure gap or headspace but I can tell they are good.

Forcing cone looks kind of short but measures ok. Rifling looks great... and it's a 1982-88 gun...

They also had this X-frame 500,it sure IS big.

https://i.postimg.cc/ydv66TYf/IMG-20210104-150007.jpg

lead collector
01-04-2021, 12:33 PM
HC18 Flyer,

Have you thought about a 686? Larger frame, and heavier built, but the same size grip as the K-Frame.
With the Target grips, they should fit your large hands pretty well. I purchase a new 686 a few years ago, and am pretty happy with it. The only complaint that I have is the Round Butt grip frame, makes finding grips a little harder. I ended up with a set of Altamont round butt to square conversions. Way better than the ugly rubber grips that came on it.
Good shooting gun, and the heavier frame and newer gun allows me too shoot 357's with out the concern of damaging my older Mod 19.

Murphy
01-04-2021, 12:52 PM
Petander,

A great find my friend. It's one I would like to have. It makes perfect sense as an all around 38 Special. I have a blued Model 15 (it's brother). Enjoy it, I sure would.

Murphy

onelight
01-04-2021, 02:24 PM
Very nice Petander looks like a great choice !

Petander
01-04-2021, 04:48 PM

Sounds like a K-frame is what you want. 357 option is there,up to you. I personally never shoot 38's in my 375's.

A 4" Mod 67 that I'm handling right now is much,much lighter and smaller than a 7 1/2" Ruger. And sort of feels even smaller - I think I found a keeper and I'll even keep the original small grips.

Shoot yours some before deciding on target grips.

It's funny how a 586 / 686 can feel so much bigger after handling a 67.

I just slugged,this one has a .357" bore, I'm lucky with the throat/bore ratio here. Forcing cone is short and still has tool marks from the factory reamer.

https://i.postimg.cc/j5JyjJQN/IMG-20210104-214617-474.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/gJDm8gDP/IMG-20210104-205542.jpg

hc18flyer
01-04-2021, 08:36 PM
Wow, that looks GREAT! Most all look small compared to the Blackhawk.

murf205
01-04-2021, 10:22 PM
Petander, you are very fortunate to have found a S&W with .3585 cylinders. All of mine, every last, one has .357 throats. I size to the cylinder (might as well) and get good accuracy but I powder coat which might be the reason I am not having any leading issues. If they go through the cylinders at bore diameter, the "bump up" factor is a great benefit to cast boolits as well. Let us know how that Mod 67 shoots. It is a beautiful revolver .

Petander
01-05-2021, 11:21 AM
Yes,I was suprised by the throats... and they are all the same. I have a mod 66 with throats .3575-360,for example.

I cleaned the gun and took a box of Magtech factory 158 FMJ rounds out with me , a nice 8 Fahrenheit winter day.

15 meter claybird accuracy was good,no surprises. I could tell was 2" high.

https://i.postimg.cc/yNGWSBFc/IMG-20210105-154908.jpg

Petander
01-06-2021, 11:36 AM
.358" MP "Keith-HP--SWC" shoots good and clean. Pretty soft PC:d alloy, 8 BHN or so.

https://i.postimg.cc/Xq4cvztM/IMG-20210106-152033.jpg

murf205
01-07-2021, 09:53 AM
The lands in that forcing cone on that gun look brand new. Are you having any trouble finding primers and powder in Finland.

Petander
01-08-2021, 02:46 AM
The lands in that forcing cone on that gun look brand new. Are you having any trouble finding primers and powder in Finland.

https://i.postimg.cc/L8M1cgS2/IMG-20210108-083749-763.jpg

We make Vihtavuori powders here and at least Magtech primers are normally in stock and keep coming from Brazil.

But US made powders and primers are old stock, we are not getting new... and some things like gas checks are nowhere to be found.

ddixie884
01-12-2021, 05:50 PM
My favorite used K-frame .38spl is the M-15. I got a couple off GB a few years ago when there was a large group of trade ins listed by a bunch of the surplus guys. I made low-ball bids on several and won a -2 and a -3 and a M-67 that was missing the rear site.......

hc18flyer
01-12-2021, 06:13 PM
I was able to get 'The Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson' 4th addition, thru interlibrary load, didn't cost a dime! I start studing tonight. Tom

Petander
01-16-2021, 02:37 PM
I was able to get 'The Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson' 4th addition, thru interlibrary load, didn't cost a dime! I start studing tonight. Tom

Good.

Here is one more pic, a J-frame 63 and an X-frame 500 in my XL hand.

https://i.postimg.cc/xTdkZnnM/IMG-20210116-202838-277.jpg