PDA

View Full Version : Jacket annealing in kiln

Dsltech1
12-27-2020, 10:49 AM
I searched the old kiln threads and didn’t find the answer I was looking for. Those that use kilns do you place brass in a single layer or pile in a pan? I made a small table top kiln/oven and now I need to make a pan for it. Single layer or stacked brass will determine the height of the sides of said pan. It would also be nice if I can pile it in to maximize the amount that can be done at a time since it’s fairly small. I’ll be annealing 5.7 brass if that makes a difference.

ReloaderFred
12-27-2020, 12:27 PM
I've always done a single layer, but that's because I anneal the cores and jackets together at the same time, which results in bonded core bullets. For just annealing jackets, I would just do a pile of them, since my kiln stays hot for hours after I turn it off (a ceramics kiln). The heat will even out over the amount of time I'd leave the brass in the kiln. The "heat soak" would be pretty even if the brass is left in long enough to allow it.

Hope this helps.

Fred

JRLesan
12-27-2020, 07:29 PM
Ditto: I just fill a stainless perforated strainer/bowl and heat to 1100, soak for 20 minutes and let cool. Usually takes overnight to reach room temperature in the kiln...

Dsltech1
12-27-2020, 10:44 PM
This is great news! I was worried a hundred at a time at most would be all I could do. Since I can pile them in, I think I can get a few hundred to fit in a 6x6x3 pan. I tried it out for the first time the other night I stopped at 1050. I imagine it can reach 1100 though. Thanks for the replies

DDriller
12-28-2020, 12:30 AM
I use my knife kiln at 850 degrees. My pan is a 3 x 9 x 3 bread loaf pan, fill it to the top with 9mm brass, let it soak for an hour, then turn it off and let brass cool in kiln.

Dsltech1
12-28-2020, 10:03 AM
Is your bread pan steel or stainless? I found a steel 6 inch pan but I’m not sure it will stand the heat. I imagine the worst it can do is warp though. $10 is definitely easier than making one out of the scrap angle and plate I have.

country gent
12-28-2020, 03:13 PM
You might try wrapped in a aluminum foil "bundle brass and a little charcoal powder, Kingsford broken up into small pieces. as this burn it removes the oxygen and may save some oxidation on the brass. The welders at work did this in the older furnaces when heat treating materials.

DDriller
12-28-2020, 05:59 PM
Is your bread pan steel or stainless? I found a steel 6 inch pan but I’m not sure it will stand the heat. I imagine the worst it can do is warp though. $10 is definitely easier than making one out of the scrap angle and plate I have.

It is just a cheap steel pan I stole from my wife, probably Walmart.

Dsltech1
01-02-2021, 10:14 AM
You might try wrapped in a aluminum foil "bundle brass and a little charcoal powder, Kingsford broken up into small pieces. as this burn it removes the oxygen and may save some oxidation on the brass. The welders at work did this in the older furnaces when heat treating materials.
I may give the foil a try. I was afraid foil would melt. But it turns out I’ll be a ways away from it’s melting point.

country gent
01-03-2021, 12:55 PM
Also in a mass in the foil the cooling is slower which is good for complete annealing. A medium sized pope nipple with caps on easch end filled with cases a 3" x3" or longer ( what will fit in your oven with a small hole drilled in one cap. Would also add mass and slow cooling.