PDA

View Full Version : Do I Need A Glock Rear Site Tool?

jonp
12-26-2020, 09:32 AM
The factory sights I bought, rear is plastic. Can i tap it in without breaking it or do I need the rear sight tool?

tunnug
12-26-2020, 09:41 AM
I changed mine out with a punch, I believe all stock rear sights are plastic.

Petrol & Powder
12-26-2020, 09:43 AM
A punch works just fine.

RU shooter
12-26-2020, 10:29 AM
A metal punch will work but it may mar or deform the sight somewhat . If you have something made of nylon or plastic it would prevent it even a wood dowel would probably work

Buzz Krumhunger
12-26-2020, 11:35 AM
I changed mine out with a punch, I believe all stock rear sights are plastic.

Glock’s factory night sights are steel, at least the ones they’ve installed at Glock, for me.

cwlongshot
12-26-2020, 12:20 PM
I never have...

Dozens changed. Just be careful have a good brass punch and a solid bench.

CW

Hickok
12-26-2020, 12:25 PM
Take a plastic tooth brush handle and make a suitable punch to move the Glock sights. Cut/file etc until you get what works.

The factory Glock rear sight is plastic/synthetic with a small metal bar in the bottom that fits the dovetail.

I take two pieces of nice straight wood, put the slide between them in a vice or C-Clamp, (do not over tighten) and then use the hill-billy engineered plastic punch and drive the sight in or out. I put duct tape on every place of the slide i don't want scratched or marred...just because I know Mr Murphy and his law-book perfectly![smilie=b:

Works for me. No need to buy expensive sight pushers.

Also, you can take a .30 cal brass cleaning jag and cut/file it down into a nice brass punch for sights if that need arises.

jonp
12-26-2020, 01:05 PM
Thanks, guys I wasn't sure how tough the plastic sight is

jonp
12-29-2020, 07:55 PM
The sight appears to be metal and has "glock" stamped right on it. Since it's for a 10mm maybe bthey make those for the large frame out of metal for the recoil. I tried a brass punch over a folded patch and it started to work but I hit the slide and left a small mark. A little cold blue or something will fix that and since it's for me I don't care that much.
I got a small piece of wooden dowel and that worked like a charm.