PDA

View Full Version : NOE vs Lee Gas check crimping

Wolfdog91
12-26-2020, 01:52 AM
So question why is it when I size and gas check my boolits on my Lee their basically crimped on where as weith my NOE they can be pulled off with most of the time ? Any way to fix this on the NOE ?

onelight
12-26-2020, 07:31 AM
Are your talking about with the same bullets and gas checks ?
And are the sizers the same size ?
What brand gas checks ?
A change in any of this can change the fit.

DHDeal
12-26-2020, 09:05 AM
Just my guess (but an educated guess) would be you might be using the same "size" sizer die from both manufacturers. In my experience a Lee might not be what Lee has marked on the die (all of mine tend to be smaller not larger than the number on the die). I don't have the NOE sizer set up but his are probably closer to what it is marked as. A half thousandth can be the difference between tight and not so tight. That's my SWAG.

Conditor22
12-26-2020, 02:00 PM
I agree with DHDeal, many lee sizers are undersized (possibly to account for spring back or the tooling is worn???)

IF you're making your own GC use slightly thicker material.

measure the sized boolits from the lee and NOE and see if they are the same

quilbilly
12-26-2020, 03:43 PM
I have had the same problem with older Lyman checks when thousands of 22's and 30's were given (!!) to me at a local gun show. They didn't stay on worth a darn when put through a Lee sizer. Since the price was right, free, I just bought cheap super glue and glued them on before sizing and lubing. They have always shot just fine. A little extra work but since I only cast a few dozen rifle boolits in a session, no problem. Hornady's crimp on just fine.

Super Sneaky Steve
12-26-2020, 10:57 PM
Not all gas checks are created equal. Some are designed to bite into the bullet. Hornady will do this, maybe Gator Checks too.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-27-2020, 08:21 PM
I'm assuming your are talking two different boolit molds, Lee and NOE.

Things I've done with loose GC.

1. run the boolit through the die without a GC, then run it through a second time with GC.
-what this does, is slightly enlarge the shank, to make the GC fit better

2. if that don't work, you can order thicker GCs. Sages outdoors offers different thickness GCs. Maybe there are other manufacturers out there doing that too?

3. if you cast with a alloy that has higher antimony and cast with the mold as cold as possible, but still casting wrinkle free boolits, you may increase the size of the boolit enough, to solve your loose GC problem.

4. if you fail with all the above, you can "hone out" the shank area of the Mold to enlarge the shank.