PDA

View Full Version : Way to ship powder? How to do?

bkbville
12-25-2020, 09:34 PM
I have some 'extra' powder that I just can't see myself shooting anytime and was thinking of converting this to cash on GB. I see a lot of powder selling at attractive prices.

...but I want to ship it legal and I understand it takes a license to do this and the training costs something like $200 for the 'dangerous goods' certification.

So... do people know how to ship it? Are there some brokers or something that will ship it for me for a fee? (beyond the HAZMAT)

I will likely just post it at my gun clubs, but was wondering if I'm missing something here?

nelsonted1
12-25-2020, 10:00 PM
You may get lucky if you put.out your.location and put it for sale pickup only. You may have a guy down the street wtb.

dangitgriff
12-25-2020, 11:56 PM
Most people just list it for sale in their area for a face-to-face transaction & pick-up.
R/Griff

Stewbaby
12-26-2020, 12:03 AM
I bet a lot of those gun broker sellers are shipping it illegally and they just don’t care if they’re endangering people when some of it happens to possibly go on airplanes.

45DUDE
12-26-2020, 01:17 AM
Carry it to a pawn shop and see if they will depose of it properly.

Petrol & Powder
12-26-2020, 09:29 AM
Back before this COVID nonsense, a gun show would be a good place to sell it. You don't need your own table, just a friend with a table.

Face to Face local sales would be the next best outlet.
A gun shop is unlikely to take it on consignment BUT they might know some of the reloaders in the area that would be interested.

dverna
12-26-2020, 09:54 AM
On the advice of a member, I put my stuff on our state gun site (Michigan Gun Owners) and I have sold a lot of stuff in the last week. All FTF. I have been getting somewhere between pre-shortage and Gunbroker prices. Everyone seems happy to be getting stuff even if they are "overpaying"...according to some here.

I have looked into the HazMat course and it was worth doing in my case as I have a lot of excess inventory. For a few jugs of powder or 10k primers it would not be worth the hassle IMHO.

waksupi
12-27-2020, 02:15 PM
When I have questions like this, I call BATF in the Minneapolis/St. Paul office. They are helpful, much more than the local Montana office in Helena.

snowwolfe
12-27-2020, 08:24 PM
I read on another forum it cost roughly $900 to attend hazmat training. The course was a week long. That’s second hand info so please confirm before believing.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-27-2020, 08:36 PM
In most cases, for use Hobbyists, it ain't worth getting certified to ship Hazmat. We just had a discussion about it, seems some of us have different info than others, as to the cost of training, and maybe it's just that it is different in different parts of the country?
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?413854-Anyone-here-HazMat-certified

Are there some brokers or something that will ship it for me for a fee?
I don't know of any in my area of the country, but there could be?
That would be something to check out in your local area, I guess.